“Quiet time of year for a quick getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Fairfax, VA
“Quiet time of year for a quick getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We like staying in Florida during off times. Our stay at the end of September found a very quiet resort. We received an upgrade to a larger room with a balcony view of the lagoon. Bathroom was very large, there was a small bar area and fridge, and a nice balcony to sit on. Our room was on the 8th floor, so the view was great. Make sure to get a room away from the ice makers, as they are very noisy. The lobby area was gorgeous, with a billiard room and a bar area. Free wifi in the lobby, but in room has a fee. Pool area was great, and the round pool is very large. We ate at the CaddyShack Restaurant. Not much retail in the area, so you need a car for shopping. Everything was clean! Enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice makers.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel goes out of its way to make everyone feel like a VIP. Service is top-notch throughout the hotel. The breakfast buffet was delicious and plentiful. The restaurant was really a pleasant suprise. Upscale enough for adults, but still kid friendly. Our room was super clean, and they gave you plenty of towels! I hate it when places are stingy with linens. Also they had Aveda toiletrie, which I love!! The pool area was fabulous too, definitely the kids favorite part. The location is outside of the main tourist spots. I recommend purchasing a trolley pass, for sight seeing. I highly recommend this establishment!

• Stayed June 2013
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you or taking the time to post your review. I am so happy that everyone in your family enjoyed themselves and the amenities that we offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Ashleigh B
Ocala, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I am not one to be negative and try to see the bright spots in the places I visit, even if they were not all that I was anticipating. We traveled for a convention and made reservations with an adjacent condo property over 4 months ago, specifically requesting a certain type of room/accommodation. Upon arrival we found a different room than requested and ended up having to move. The Villagio restaurant on site is very nice/ however, you must check your bill. We put it on our card and left the tip on the card as well, only to find out that the waiter took a higher tip than we left on the card when we checked our statement. I had this happen twice on my most recent visit. I would not say this is a very family friendly resort. Definitely catering to the those who are into golf primarily.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry that your experience with the villas was not what you were expecting. I will certainly pass along the information that you provided to them so that they can investigate what happened. I am pleased that you enjoyed yourself while on our property and dined in our restaurant Villagio. I encourage you to double check your statement again and you should see the right amount posted. Our credit card system automatically preauthorizes 20% on top of your bill to secure the funds left for a gratuity. If this is not the case please contact Villagio’s at your convenience.

Ashleigh B
Lutherville,md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I went to The World of Golf to see the golf Museum and play golf for 3 days. This hotel is only 25 monutes from the Jacksonville Airport and right next to the World of Golf Headquarters. It has 600 rooms and was 85% sold out when we arrived but we were treated promptly at check in and never had to wait for anything. The dinner restaurant was very good, clean, good staff and very reasonable. I would stay there again if we go back to play golf there again.

Room Tip: MOst of the roomss have a deck and I would request one and either a lake or golf course view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at our Resort and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We offer a variety of golf packages for one and two golfers as well as discounts for Marriott Rewards members, AAA members and senior citizens. We look forward to your next visit.

Ashleigh B.
Memphis TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I were here for a convention so I wasn't thinking this was going to be much of a trip. I was surprised....this hotel could easily market for family, couples friends etc. Not just golf. It might have had somewhat of a business feel (prob just because thats why we were there) but we did have a very nice room with a balcony. Staff was very friendly. The bar was a nice open area with TV's. The pool was very nice and well equipped with plenty of tables, lounge chairs.
Dinner and breakfast was very good, I think a little overpriced(especially breakfast) but from my experience most full service restaurants in hotels usually are. There is also a great outlet shopping center very close by! And you should visit the historical part of town as well.
I have to say, very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I recently researched a hotel I wanted to stay in Jacksonville for a week and found, The Renaissance Resort at World Gold Village nice looking and with a view I wanted. In “You Request”, I made a note requesting, complementary upgrade to concierge level, Junior King Suite, with “The Challenge Hole” view. I was very specific on my request because I had done my research and knew what I wanted.

To my surprise, when I checked in, the room was on the 3rd floor, near elevator and next door to maintenance staff room. The room window (not balcony) over looked the roof of another building …I knew I cannot live in this room for a week. It was worst than staying in a very cheap motel room.

I came down to the front desk and requested the type of room request I made in “Your Request - Reservation”. I was told it is based on the availability and no upgrades available. I asked front desk that I would like to see the GM, but the front desk made excuses and gave me another room on the 4th floor (room 427), which was more or less above the previous room. This room had bad smell …smelled like mildew. I then called maintenance and they agreed there was mildew/mold smell in the room and off course room view was no different than the previous room. I called maintenance and they called front desk asking for change of the room because of the bad smell. I was then given room 628, which overlooked balcony of all the rooms, which had no occupancy (no golf course view or anything nice!)

Long story short... my concerns –
1. I found customer facing staff (front desk “extremely” un courteous (yes, I mean it!)
2. Although I was told Mr. Oliasami (GM) will get in touch with me, he never did!!!
3. Although I was told upgraded room for later in the week, it never happened

Personally speaking, the day I checked-in the occupancy at the hotel was no more than 20% and for the remainder of the week that I stayed at the Renaissance Resort @ World Golf Village, I can tell you with confident that THEY HAD MORE STAFF THAN THE GUEST AT THE HOTEL!

With the occupancy Renaissance Resort had during my stay, Mr. Oliasami and his staff could have done much better job. I felt like they are letting the worst room go first and save the best for the rest, which never happens and they are losing Marriott customers. Even though it maybe a franchise, it is hurting Marriott name. Did I say, I WILL NEVER STRAY AT THIS PROPERTY EVER!

Let’s make no mistakes, it looks like a very nice property from my research and what I can see but the experience I had with the staff and the rooms given, it will NEVER make me come back again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel, if you can
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I just checked out and am shaking my head. The hotel is a paradox, doing somethings very well and others just poor to average. My family and I stayed for 1 night using a reward certificate. At check in, I asked how much an upgrade was and it was a very reasonable fee, so I took the upgrade to a very nice suite.The front desk clerk also told me that because I was an elite member, the internet in my room would be free. He told me to just accept the $12.95 per day charge and it would be adjusted off. Good communication and customer service skills.

When we went up to the room, we were impressed. It had a large bedroom with 2 double beds and a wrap around patio, along with a separate living area with a sleeper sofa. The bathroom was very large. The room had 2 TV's, a microwave, refrigerator, and a bar with a sink. The room was in excellent condition and was cold when we came in, so that's something the property did well. I like clean and safe.

When we went to dinner that evening at 5:30 pm, I asked the front desk clerk to have housekeeping come up to the room and make up the sleeper sofa because I knew we'd be back late and my kids would be tired. When we came back at 10:30 pm, the kids are staggering into the room after falling asleep and the coffee table has sheets and a blanket. The bed wasn't made up and there weren't any pillows for the sleeper. My wife was livid. If we stayed at a lesser brand, I would have expected it, but this is a Renaissance and a 4 star rated property at that. I called the front desk and Gage apologized and offered to send someone up to make the bed, but we did it ourselves because the kids were so tired, but I let him know this was not the expectation I have from this brand. Again he apologized. About 5 minutes later, the night manager calls to apologize and offers me breakfast the next day at their restaurant. I told her that it wasn't necessary, but I appreciated the offer and thanked her, telling her we would probably take her up on the offer. So this is an area where they dropped the ball and made up for it.

As my wife was getting into bed, she noticed movement on the wall in the bedroom. Ants. About 50 of them. She killed them all and wiped them up, since it was 11 pm and we didn't want to change rooms or have someone come up ans spray bug spray, leaving us to smell the fumes all night. It's Florida and it happens not a big deal.

The next morning we're going to breakfast and I go to the front desk and speak to a desk agent, letting her know about the ants and asking her if there's anything I need to tell the waitress at the restaurant about our comped breakfast. She apologized for the ants and told me to just have the meal charged to my room, noting they would adjust it off when I checked out. We were good with that and went off to breakfast.

The breakfast buffet was expansive, but average. The kids didn't like the eggs. The biscuits and gravy weren't worth the calories, The pastries were on the stale side. Lots of fresh fruit and European style cold cuts. The family enjoyed the omelette station. Service was excellent, however. Breakfast, including tip was just at $80 and i was off to the front desk. At the front desk, I presented my receipt to the front desk I agent I spoke to earlier and she says, hang on, the restaurant manager is in the manager's office talking about this and then she joins them. A couple of minutes later, the manager on duty comes out and tells me they're only giving me a $25 credit for the meal because that's what the night manager promised me AND i should have come to the front desk for a voucher. I told her I came to the front desk and told her what transpired and she rolled her eyes and said the note from the night manager only offered $25. She then took $25 off of my room bill and informed me that I would be charged for the rest of breakfast. I just stood there stunned, turned and went back to my room to get my things.

On my way out, I had words with the manager on duty again. I told her I don't like being called a liar. Her night manager offered something and she should stand by it. I wasn't looking for anything free or remuneration and i would not dispute my bill, ,but she could have handled the situation much better. Very disappointed in customer service received by management and front desk staff.

This is a property with nice rooms, but everything else is average or below. I would not consider it up to the level of excellence associated with a Renaissance and I will not be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort? Share your experiences!