I recently researched a hotel I wanted to stay in Jacksonville for a week and found, The Renaissance Resort at World Gold Village nice looking and with a view I wanted. In “You Request”, I made a note requesting, complementary upgrade to concierge level, Junior King Suite, with “The Challenge Hole” view. I was very specific on my request because I had done my research and knew what I wanted.
To my surprise, when I checked in, the room was on the 3rd floor, near elevator and next door to maintenance staff room. The room window (not balcony) over looked the roof of another building …I knew I cannot live in this room for a week. It was worst than staying in a very cheap motel room.
I came down to the front desk and requested the type of room request I made in “Your Request - Reservation”. I was told it is based on the availability and no upgrades available. I asked front desk that I would like to see the GM, but the front desk made excuses and gave me another room on the 4th floor (room 427), which was more or less above the previous room. This room had bad smell …smelled like mildew. I then called maintenance and they agreed there was mildew/mold smell in the room and off course room view was no different than the previous room. I called maintenance and they called front desk asking for change of the room because of the bad smell. I was then given room 628, which overlooked balcony of all the rooms, which had no occupancy (no golf course view or anything nice!)
Long story short... my concerns –
1. I found customer facing staff (front desk “extremely” un courteous (yes, I mean it!)
2. Although I was told Mr. Oliasami (GM) will get in touch with me, he never did!!!
3. Although I was told upgraded room for later in the week, it never happened
Personally speaking, the day I checked-in the occupancy at the hotel was no more than 20% and for the remainder of the week that I stayed at the Renaissance Resort @ World Golf Village, I can tell you with confident that THEY HAD MORE STAFF THAN THE GUEST AT THE HOTEL!
With the occupancy Renaissance Resort had during my stay, Mr. Oliasami and his staff could have done much better job. I felt like they are letting the worst room go first and save the best for the rest, which never happens and they are losing Marriott customers. Even though it maybe a franchise, it is hurting Marriott name. Did I say, I WILL NEVER STRAY AT THIS PROPERTY EVER!
Let’s make no mistakes, it looks like a very nice property from my research and what I can see but the experience I had with the staff and the rooms given, it will NEVER make me come back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore everything that downtown St. Augustine has to offer! Renaissance World Golf Village Resort and Convention Center offers a complimentary shuttle for individual guests to and from downtown St. Augustine(based on availability). The 4 Diamond Renaissance World Golf Village Resort offers fresh, well appointed accommodations featuring 37 inch flat-panel televisions, sparkling new bathrooms and furnishings, high-speed wireless Internet access, spacious work areas, wet bars and refrigerators among many modern luxuries. Meet in the largest combination hotel and convention center between Orlando and Atlanta. Within 15 minutes of the resort enjoy 108 holes of championship golf, including the Slammer and Squire, located just steps from your guest room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Marriott, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance World Golf Village Hotel Saint Augustine
- Renaissance Saint Augustine
- Saint Augustine Renaissance