“There's a reason this is a level 4 out of 7 Marriott Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Orlando, Florida
“There's a reason this is a level 4 out of 7 Marriott Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I just checked out and am shaking my head. The hotel is a paradox, doing somethings very well and others just poor to average. My family and I stayed for 1 night using a reward certificate. At check in, I asked how much an upgrade was and it was a very reasonable fee, so I took the upgrade to a very nice suite.The front desk clerk also told me that because I was an elite member, the internet in my room would be free. He told me to just accept the $12.95 per day charge and it would be adjusted off. Good communication and customer service skills.

When we went up to the room, we were impressed. It had a large bedroom with 2 double beds and a wrap around patio, along with a separate living area with a sleeper sofa. The bathroom was very large. The room had 2 TV's, a microwave, refrigerator, and a bar with a sink. The room was in excellent condition and was cold when we came in, so that's something the property did well. I like clean and safe.

When we went to dinner that evening at 5:30 pm, I asked the front desk clerk to have housekeeping come up to the room and make up the sleeper sofa because I knew we'd be back late and my kids would be tired. When we came back at 10:30 pm, the kids are staggering into the room after falling asleep and the coffee table has sheets and a blanket. The bed wasn't made up and there weren't any pillows for the sleeper. My wife was livid. If we stayed at a lesser brand, I would have expected it, but this is a Renaissance and a 4 star rated property at that. I called the front desk and Gage apologized and offered to send someone up to make the bed, but we did it ourselves because the kids were so tired, but I let him know this was not the expectation I have from this brand. Again he apologized. About 5 minutes later, the night manager calls to apologize and offers me breakfast the next day at their restaurant. I told her that it wasn't necessary, but I appreciated the offer and thanked her, telling her we would probably take her up on the offer. So this is an area where they dropped the ball and made up for it.

As my wife was getting into bed, she noticed movement on the wall in the bedroom. Ants. About 50 of them. She killed them all and wiped them up, since it was 11 pm and we didn't want to change rooms or have someone come up ans spray bug spray, leaving us to smell the fumes all night. It's Florida and it happens not a big deal.

The next morning we're going to breakfast and I go to the front desk and speak to a desk agent, letting her know about the ants and asking her if there's anything I need to tell the waitress at the restaurant about our comped breakfast. She apologized for the ants and told me to just have the meal charged to my room, noting they would adjust it off when I checked out. We were good with that and went off to breakfast.

The breakfast buffet was expansive, but average. The kids didn't like the eggs. The biscuits and gravy weren't worth the calories, The pastries were on the stale side. Lots of fresh fruit and European style cold cuts. The family enjoyed the omelette station. Service was excellent, however. Breakfast, including tip was just at $80 and i was off to the front desk. At the front desk, I presented my receipt to the front desk I agent I spoke to earlier and she says, hang on, the restaurant manager is in the manager's office talking about this and then she joins them. A couple of minutes later, the manager on duty comes out and tells me they're only giving me a $25 credit for the meal because that's what the night manager promised me AND i should have come to the front desk for a voucher. I told her I came to the front desk and told her what transpired and she rolled her eyes and said the note from the night manager only offered $25. She then took $25 off of my room bill and informed me that I would be charged for the rest of breakfast. I just stood there stunned, turned and went back to my room to get my things.

On my way out, I had words with the manager on duty again. I told her I don't like being called a liar. Her night manager offered something and she should stand by it. I wasn't looking for anything free or remuneration and i would not dispute my bill, ,but she could have handled the situation much better. Very disappointed in customer service received by management and front desk staff.

This is a property with nice rooms, but everything else is average or below. I would not consider it up to the level of excellence associated with a Renaissance and I will not be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We've always liked this property and this was probably our best stay. As always, rooms are tops, common areas impressive, great bar, good dinner, friendly and accommodating staff all around. Our quibble last time was the rate but this time we got a favorable rate so the relatively expensive breakfast buffet still made for a reasonable stay. Next time I would skip the breakfast and have it on the road.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us again. I am so pleased that we continue to be your destination of choice and that we are able to exceed your expectations. I look forward to your next visit.

Ashleigh B.
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

They guys at work (Golfers) heard I was driving to Key West and recommended I stay here as a stopping point. You drive thru a lovely setting away from the highway noise, but it is only minutes from I-95. Boy were they right, wonderful room, I don't think I have ever had that large of a screen TV in a standard room. The staff were more than accommodating, all for a reasonable price. We walked over to Caddy Shack for a fun dinner and enjoyed the karaoke.

Room Tip: Rooms across from the elevators don't have the best view, our balcony overlooked a roof with all...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had a great stay at the Renaissance. Hotel staff, from the front desk, to restaurant & bar, and housekeeping, were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and well maintained. The only thing I ran into was, as is often the case in hot humid places, I had to wear a jacket in the public areas, because the air conditioning was so chilly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us. I am so happy that every ambassador you encountered was friendly and helpful. I look forward to your next visit.

Ashleigh B.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Neat hotel in the center of World Golf Village. Great offerings...  breakfast buffet, pool, gym, ping pong.  Hotel staff are very helpful. Had a "Stay & Play" rate that included breakfast, round of golf at King & Bear and Slammer & Squire courses, both of which were in great shape. Also included free entrance to World Golf Hall of Fame which is full of history & info about the game, putting round on 18 real greens, challenge hole, etc.  had a wonderful time and would love to return.

Room Tip: Pool side view is good, but a bit noisier than golf course view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Charged $12.95 a day for wifi in your room. However wifi was free in the lobby. It was raining while we were there. Sitting in the lobby using the free wifi, however it was raining and roof was leaking and they had to lay towels on lobby floor to absorb the water. Needless to say had to give up using wifi. We were on the 8th floor in room 838 bed was not comfortable could actually see the mattress needs to be replace bed is lower on one side.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel was beautiful and very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and professional. The food and service at Villagio was great. The room was nicely appointed and plenty large. Our only complaints are (1) the toilet was the loudest we have ever heard, (2) the pillows were basically worthless (they flattened almost immediately and provided no support), and (3) the in-room coffee was terrible. Fortunately, there is a Starbucks in the lobby, but you have to pay to get a decent cup of coffee. If the purpose of your trip is to see the historic city of St. Augustine, this hotel is a bit inconvenient. But if you come to see the World Golf Hall of Fame, you can't get any closer. The pluses far outweighed the minuses, though, and we will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple