“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Brevard County, FL
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed here recently for a conference and had a very enjoyable time. The room, although not the King we expected, was comfortable enough for the two of us. It was nice to have a sink and fridge in the room but a microwave would have made it even nicer! The room itself was quite spacious and so was the bathroom. The housekeeping staff did a great job keeping it supplied with all the amenities without ever having to be asked (as it should be, but oftentimes is not). The Wi-fi, at $12.95 a day, is no bargain but when I asked, I was told there was free Wi-fi in the lobby area. Speaking of the lobby, it is a beautiful area, reminicent of Embassy Suites, with fountains and foliage and varying types of seating options. It was extremely confortable sitting there for a few hours on my computer surfing the net. I found the staff to be very helpful when enquiring about the shuttle to downtown St Augustine (2x a day) and also the day pass to their beach resort, Serenata Beach Club. Although I did not take advantage of either, I think I would have liked to spend the day at the Serenata. It looked absolutely beautiful!! One thing that I did find disturbing was the noise. Since the set up is around an atrium, the loud noises from the bar area were channeled up to our room and at midnight, those noises are not welcome!! Also, the lovely noise from the waterfalls and fountains is delightful during the day, but not so much much at bedtime. The outdoor pool area is beautiful, manicured and very clean. I did enjoy some quiet time reading out there. We ate at the Villagio and the food was very good (ample portions for good price). I was not as impressed with Caddyshack, however. Since we had a car, the outlets and downtown St Augustine are both within a short drive, although it seems to take forever to get out of the resort complex itself. All in all, we had a very nice stay at this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Marriott Platinum reward members are not recognized at this hotel when you check in. The slovenly dressed front desk staff are drones with no facial expression or any recognition that you are a Platinum member - who has even stayed at this hotel before. Forget getting Platinum room upgrade even when the hotel is a ghost town...

The TV in the room did not work and the movie channel did not work. No Golf Channel either which was ironic... Complaining to management is a waste of time. I could not even use the free movie they gave me since the Movie Channel did not work

Customer service is so overwhelmed with complaints that I received an email apology for another guest's billing problem.

Contacting customer service at the hotel is valueless as they truly believe the customer is wrong until proven otherwise.

This hotel is over priced and every time I have stayed it is one problem or another. It is no wonder it is a ghost town when you stay here...

Stay at another Marriott in the area and be appreciated for your stay...

Room Tip: Select a Marriott in the area at another inn.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Harden P, Front Office Manager at The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am so very sorry that your experience at our resort has not been what we expect. We do acknowledge and truly appreciate our elite rewards members. We know that you travel alot and chosing our property is an honor for us. Nonetheless, on this stay and consequently others we have let you down. I will be sharing your comments with my Front Desk team to ensure that we do not have this happen again. I would be honored if the next time you are in the St. Augustine area that you will contact me directly at harden.perry@jqh.com or (904) 940-8618 so that I can personally set up your reservation and ensure that your experience is what it should be. I look forward to the opportunity of serving you again. Sincerely, Harden Perry III
Redington Shores, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I had reserved the room in Feb. 2012 for my April 27-29 trip. I booked this through booking.com and was shown on the World Golf Resort website that it was a corner room with a full window and a window on the side and described as a "panoramic view". I upgraded to this room and printed out my confirmation. When I arrived I was given a room with one small window...no balcony...and not a corner rooms. The desk clerk said they were booked up and could do nothing for me. He also said this was booking.com's problem and they had others similar situations from them. I immediately called Booking.com and they said they are piggybacked onto World Golf's Resort website and this was a mistake made by the hotel. Meanwhile I have a tiny room but paid for an upgrade. The next morning I went to log on for my FREE WIFI that was also on my printed confirmation but when I tried to log in saw it was $12.95 daily. I then asked for the manager and was given Fred, the front desk manager who proceeded to tell me..."did I expect a 360 degree panoramic view"? I replied I was expecting what I had paid for and was shown on their website. My itinerary specifically said "panoramic view and free WIFI through the entire hotel". This genuis decided he would throw me a bone and give me a day of free WIFI....JUST WHAT MY PRINTED CONFIRMATION ADVERTISED! wHAT A GUY.....NEVER AGAIN WILL I STAY THERE....POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND FOLLOW THROUGH!

Room Tip: Good luck getting the room you book and pay for!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am so very sorry that your room was not what you had expected. We do strive very hard to honor our guests' room request and in your case we were not able to do so due to our very high business levels. Also, I am very disappointed that you were treated inappropriately by a member of my team. I can assure you that that will not happen again. I would be honored if the next time you are in the St. Augustine area that you will contact me directly at harden.perry@jqh.com or (904) 940-8618 so that I can personally set up your reservation and ensure that your stay and accommodations are what you request. I look forward to the opportunity of serving you again. Sincerely, Harden Perry III
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

The hotel is clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. The golf courses the Slammer and Squire and the King and Bear were excellent. The only problem was breakfast one morning when a large conference was there made the restaurant area loud and hectic.

The people in the room next door came in around 12:30 am and were very loud. I guess that is a problem that can happen anywhere.

Wifi not availalbe in room unless you have enough Mariott points but the lobby did have wifi access.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Our organization just completed it's third year at the Renaissance World Golf Village Resort and once again most of our 1,000 plus attendees had a great experience.

This busy week not only includes our meetings in the main ballroom but additional breakout space, venders and both large & small meal functions. The food was great and the new menus offered wounderful choices.

I am once again most impressed with the friendly and helpful staff. These cheerful employees are always delightful and helpful. It was truly a pleasure to spend a week in such a beautiful environment. The sincerity of the General Manager as he welcomed our membership was inspiring and appreciated.

The Beach Club is great and a wonderful addition. The food was delicious and had a very interesting selections.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have a great view of the lake and golf course.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This was my third stay at teh Renaissance for a conference. Don't get me wrong it is a nice hotel but not a "resort". If you are golfing I guess you could call it a golf resort but not the type of resort you normally think about. The hotel is very clean and the fitness center is nice with a sauna. It is a 4 mile run back to the main road, making a nice exercise route. I would have given 5 stars but the only place to eat is in the hotel or at their Caddy Shack all are very expensive. Nothing else is in walking distance and you would need to drive 20 minutes into Old Saint Augustine to eat or shop. I will still stay here again when I return to the same conference next season. The conference setup is very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on Floor 2 over the Lobby. You are then close enough and will pick up the FREE lobby...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
JeffreyOliasami, General Manager at The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us while in St. Augustine for your conference I am pleased to hear the set up was to your liking as well as some of the guest amenities. We appreciate your feedback on the resort experience and are continuing to add features our business and leisure guests can enjoy. We look forward to your return and hope you will have time to explore our beach club or take the shuttle into town for dining, shopping or sightseeing on your next visit.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Was hoping for a teensy bit more luxe, but all in all was ok. Front desk staff really nice, room smallish but over-do with that baby powder scent air freshner (a little sickening). Asked for king bed, got two SMALL queens - no worries, since I was alone on a business trip, but they were small - however comfortable. Bathroom really nice, closet could have used some more hangers, view was nice of a couple of golf holes from adjacent course - which was way too expensive to play - boss and I went a bit north on 95 to two great courses for about $35 - perfect. Conference had a cocktail reception by the pool at night - was very nice area - pretty around the lake where the World Golf Hall of Fame is located, along with the Murray Brothers Caddy Shack, and a huge golf shop called Tour Stop (it's like the Ron Jon's of golf) - other than that, there are many, many empty storefronts. If you aren't there for golf or a conference, there really isn't much else to do - Downtown St. Augustine is a hike in the car, although they said they have a shuttle, must be for day trips, because they don't have one at night. Charged $12.50 per night for internet, and $10 per day for valet - bell and valet service a bit sluggish.

Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
JeffreyOliasami, General Manager at The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful views from your room and during the reception on La Terrazza. We are so happy to have La Terrazza available to our leisure and business guests alike. I appreciate the comments on the room ambience and I am glad to know you were pleased with the service our ambassadors provided during your stay.

Been to The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort? Share your experiences!