“loved the hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
dc
“loved the hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

A very comforable stay. Unfortunely, they were in the middle of a renovation, which made things mildly unpleasant. Should be beautiful when they are done.

• Liked — the rooms and location to golfing
  • Disliked — the renovations going on at the time
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
League City, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We only booked for one night.
When we arrived we were greeted by an over zealous porter who did not want to let go of the baggage cart. My husband hates to hurry with the unpacking especially when travelling by car, and likes to do his own thing. This was not possible at this Renaissance.
Our only complaint was that the beds were very uncomfortable.
They were a tad hard for our bones.
Otherwise we were given a room with a balcony overlooking the pool. It had a lovely view of the World of Golf building and surrounding greens.
We walked around the resort and took some great pictures. There is a lot to do if you even have a smattering of interest in golf.
The down side is that it is a lock-off. It did not bother us because we were there for one night and no one was next door.
We decided to order Pizza which was the best choice as it was wonderfully prepared and we enjoyed it on our balcony.
I liked the refrigerator and sink.
The bathroom was spacious.
The best surprise came was after we departed.
We were approaching the Kennedy Space Center, I reached for the camera, but it was not in the car.
At that moment my cell phone rang and it was the hotel who informed me that we had left it in our room.
They sent it overnight to our next destination.
Now this is service. This put a completely different light on our visit and estimation of the hotel.
Overall everyone was extremely polite and willing to help.
The ideal would be - softer mattresses and no lock off with balcony rooms. Then I would give it a 5/5.

• Liked — The views and the walks around the resort
  • Disliked — The beds and the lock-off
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hallandale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 2 days. Initially I was impressed by the fact that the Front Mgr.- Uday, upgraded me w/out a request. It was my 2nd stay here and the hotel rooms and common areas I found to be nice- typical of a Marriott or Renaissance full-service property. Plenty of bathroom amenities and good quality. I also understand they are in the process of renovating. Personally I didn't see the need for it based upon the areas I utilized, but whatever. The bellstand service and room service was very expedient.

HOWEVER, their service was lacking in 2 areas:

#1 Food- had a room service breakfast... cold biscuit, cold potato cassarole. No jam/jelly for biscuit- guess they figured no one was going to eat that hockey puck-like biscuit, so why waste the condiments. My guess is they obtain the ingredients of my breakfast off their buffet. With the exception of my Egg Beaters, it was obvious it wasn't cooked-to-order.

#2 Lost Item- Much to my chagrin, within 12 hours from when I left, I realized that I left a very important piece of medical equipment in my room. About 6:30 tonight I called the hotel and reported this and asked if it had been turned in. After explaining the importance of this item, I was told that housekeeping had left for the night, so there was no way to know. I explained that this was an unacceptable answer and asked to speak w/ the Manager. I was told he was on the phone, but they took my # and said he'd call in 10-15 minutes. Two hours later... no call back. I called again, spoke w/ the manager & he still hadn't looked into it. I again explained what the word SERVICE implied and asked him to PLEASE look into it. I also told him that Iwould think that when a guest leaves behind an article of value greater than $25, that they would call the guest and alert them to this fact instead of having to wait for the guest to call. He said that wasn't their "policy". Hello Marriott... we live in the world of the internet when everyone can become a travel critic in minutes. Perhaps it's time to rethink some "policies". I'll bet a truly premium service hotel would call me when I left an item behind. In fact, I'm staying at a Fairfield Inn (not a premium brand) tonight and asked them about their policy on lost articles- guess what... they call the guest. In fact, they told me that's one of the reasons why they collect guest PHONE NUMBERS in the 1st place. Imagine that! By the way, unlike the premium Marriotts, their less expensive brands: Fairfield, Courtyard, etc. don't charge for phone calls, parking, internet, etc. Why is it that the more I pay, the less I receive at hotels? Renaissance @ World Golf Village- I'm waiting!!!! Can't wait to finish this saga!

• Liked — Bathroom ammenities
  • Disliked — Largely lacking in customer service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lawrenceville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

For such a name brand hotel, this one is really just a middle of the road expensive place to stay. I had a comp package due to previous issues and the only person that seem to care was the a manager named McKay. Breakfast buffet is very good, but the service is very slow....even when they were less than 10 people in the restaurant. Each day, I had ask for coffee or other items and same many other guest ask for the same.

• Liked — It was comp 2 night stay
  • Disliked — Service people seem indifferent
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Fayetteville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

I booked a Marriott Silver Elite member "special" on the Marriott website, which was supposed to include "free internet and breakfast for 2 each day". The room itself was slightly dated, but the hotel is otherwise very nice, and the lake and grounds by World Golf Village are very scenic and the entry drive to the hotel, quite beautiful. There was a minibar sink and refrigerator in our room, and a lovely view of the lake and pool, which were pluses.

The hotel is located right next to a putting course, golf course, and the Golf Hall of Fame, as well as an Imax theatre and two restaurants, along with a nice golf shop, and it is convenient to travelers on I 95, as well.

The next morning, we did not get a newspaper delivered to the room, which is part of being a frequent Marriott traveler, so I stopped by the front desk to inquire about it. The rather bored looking hotel desk clerk, shrugged her shoulders and said "well, we only get a certain number of papers delivered each day and we don't have any more." I asked why one was not delivered, and she once again shrugged and said she "did not know". I asked if I could please request one for the following day, and she said "she did not know how to arrange it." Frustrated, I finally asked her to deliver a message about it, to the manager. She seemed put out that I did this.

We then went to breakfast, and were informed by the hostess, that our breakfast was not included in our room. As I was trying to straighten out the issue with the hostess, the couple behind me stated that they thought they had purchased the same package I did, and had also been told breakfast was not included, and they were puzzled, just as I was about it.

I walked back to the front desk, and asked for the manager, who had just arrived. He said the room had been booked at the "regular special rate code" and did not include breakfast or internet. I explained that the rate had clearly stated it was included, and he agreed to give us vouchers for the breakfasts for both days, and waive the internet charges.

We then went out to the pool, and there were no towels to be found, even though the pool was not crowded. After waiting about an hour, I finally went inside to inquire. About 20 minutes later, they finally delivered towels to the pool area.

When I checked out, I discovered that once again, I had been charged for internet services. I had to once again get a manager, to take care of the charges.

Overall, this is a pretty hotel, and has a lot of nearby ammenitis, but the property needs to work on improving the customer services provided, and fix whatever the glitch is in their reservations system, because most certainly the internet offers should be coded properly when a customer books a package.

• Liked — Location and ammenities near by.
  • Disliked — The lack of concern among the hotel staff.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

I have stayed at much better Marriott Brands. This hotel does not stand out like a Renaissance. The Food Outlet was sub par (had breakfast buffet) and the rooms had a mildew smell to them. Had it not been for the rate, I would have opted to stay elsewhere. The hotel is showing it's age.

• Liked — Bedding was great
  • Disliked — The smell of the room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hendersonville, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

We had a bad Marriott experience from a reservation/Marriott Corporation standpoint. We attended a conference so we had to phone the hotel directly and was immediately connected to a 1-800 number to handle the reservation. We have a 13 year old son and 16 year old daughter so we always request a rollaway cot. When requested, I was told that rollaway are not allowed in this facility. I was very concerned with our situation. I went ahead and booked a double room. After investigating the area, found that the Villas were close by and were suites. About a week before leaving, I called the local hotel to investigate rooms closer and again transferred to the 1-800 number. I explained the situation to the operator who told us that with the Marriott Rewards Membership, we would automatically qualify for a free suite upgrade and as of then, many suites were still available. I had no idea suites were even offered. So, she said she noted the request and when sent a reservation reminder, we ourselves made note of the upgrade request. At this point, I decided not to pursue staying at the Villas. (wish I had, seemed very nice)
When we checked in, we were immediately greeted and said, we have good news that a suite is available for us. Then we were told it is a $50.00 a day charge. We were never told about this in fact was told that it would be automatic as a member. Needless to say, we were extremely upset. Even the assistant manager came to speak to us and again said they could not automatically upgrade us without the fee. The resort looked empty. We were then placed in a double room and were told yes, they can place rollaway cots in the room. It probably is a fire hazard as we were not able to get to the window. The guy who brought the cot, was just going to leave it as it was hard to fit in the small room. Upon entering the room, a call was placed to the 1-800 number and the operator did look up the reservation and said that we did qualify for an upgrade. When asked about a charge, he said, I do not think there is a charge, and then he looked further and found that it was small notations of being a charge. This was never mentioned when first offered to us nor was there a mention anytime of a $12.00 a day resort fee. (Still do not know what it covers)
The lady who checked us in gave us one free breakfast coupon and said we could come back each day and ask for more coupons. We were not going to do that. In fact, the less we saw of the front desk, the better.
The conceirge lady was helpful. The breakfast bar was not worth the price and juice was not included. The staff was overworked. We ordered room service one day and they forgot one order and charged for things that were not to be charged. It was a mess, but I did not complain about that.
The hotel is not near anything that is not golf related. We had to drive 10 minutes for other eateries. The spa is nice but took us 15 minutes to even get there with the slow speed limit and construction.

• Liked — Comfortable mattresses
  • Disliked — most of the Marriott Staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort? Share your experiences!