“Horrible disgusting gross” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95

You added Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95 to your Saves list
Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2535 State Road 16, I-95 Exit 318, Saint Augustine, FL 32092 (Formerly Ramada Limited St. Augustine)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #64 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
ny
“Horrible disgusting gross”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stopped here from driving from New York. The room stinks of mold or ferret. The paint is peeling off th door. There is some kind of think red and black thick crude around the toliet. The bedding looks and feels like its from 1970. My feet are black from walking around with no shoes on for about 5 minutes. There is no water pressure. You can either adjust the water to very hot or very cold, there is no in between. There are all kinds of stains, gum, and oil spots on the sidewalks to you room. This is a Ramada? Beyond disgusting.

Room Tip: Drive by this dump.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear rmovers2315 - Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your comments and opinions and will use them to better our product for future guests. Terry Zwirn, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Wildwood, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My experience at this hotel was very adventurous. I enjoyed my time in St. Augustine this hotel is reasonably close to my desired destinations such as the old part of the city and the ghost tours. I enjoyed the free breakfast, that saved money on going out for breakfast in the morning. The place was very clean.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Aaron Jeff L - Thank You for your review. It's alwaays nice to hear from someone who enjoyed their stay. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Terry Zwirn, General Manager
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was down in Daytona for the week for work and saw the St.Aug out lets were about a hr from me. So I packed up and headed up for a day of shopping, the outlets were great but they are all outside and the heat sapped my energy. So I checked in to the hotel for the night. The hotel is directly across the street from the outlets and easy in and out. The front desk girl was very helpful and got me a first floor room that I love. The room was older but very clean.. When I got to the room the remote did not work and I called the front desk, they had me a new one in 5 mins. The person that delivered it was very nice and helpful and even gave me a few recommendations for places to eat. The hotel is not a resort but for the price and the location you cant beat it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear gunter15 - Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate the comments and hope to see you on another visit to St. Augustine. Terry Zwirn, General Manager
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I called in the day before my arrival due to all of the bad reviews that had posted. Spoke with Adam who told me I could inspect the room prior to paying. Upon arrival Josh allowed us to inspect the rooms we would be staying in and it was not bad at all. This property is old and is in need of some repairs but that is all. I gave an employee a few cleaning tips (inexpensive tips), but the response was that the owner is trying to sell the place and do not want to spend money. Well maybe if he fix the place up it would sell. Overall good stay depite all the negative reviews that this hotel has received. Adam was great he completed the check it process as well as gave us directions to anywhere we wanted to go. Thanks to Slyvia for the extra wash cloths and towels! Thanks to all the employess for service with a smile.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Tonia S - Thanks, so much, for your comments. Yes, the hotel is an older one. Yes, it needs a facelift and some TLC. But also, Yes, our employees are good at what they do! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you on another trip to St. Augustine. It was our pleasure to have you as a guest. Terry Zwirn, GM
Sebastian, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I am an easily pleased person and have read many bad reviews but chosen to go anyway and had great experiences. I searched for a hotel during race weekend at Daytona and couldn't find another cheep hotel with vacancy, so I went. While I am still glad I went and had a wonderful time exploring the town, However............

The hotel is the most run down, unclean hotel I have ever stayed in in my life!

Pros:

~I got there at 2 to see if the room was ready and a girl from Brooklyn was at the counter. She was awesome!!!

~No one cares what you do. The pool sign says closes at 11 but not enforced.

~The pool is 8 1/2 ft deep

~has smoking rooms/pool area

~Continental breakfast is awesome! make your own waffles ;-)

Cons:
~Check-in at 5 was crappy with another boring unfriendly clerk.

~Beds are listed as queen but clearly are much smaller than that because they dont align with
the headboards and I know how big a queen bed is, I have one.

~The room had a musty smell which I have had before, no big deal.

~The AC only went on freezing

~upon check in there was only 1 towel in the bathroom and the light was so faint it made the room a hazy orange. You could barely see.

~The floor behind the toilet was an 8 inch square missing with a hole going god knows where because I couldn't see with the orange light. I would pee quick out of fear something would crawl out!

~At one point the light stopped working and we had to use my phone flashlight to pee. It later came on when switching the switch on and off really quick.

~The room was way to small to be advertised for 5 people. there was a small table and 2 chairs that no one could walk by.

~Went to the office (not friendly in there, never smiled and was annoyed I was asking for towels) to get pool towels and they said they would bring them. I asked for 5 and got 3 when he came.

~Ice machine runs out fast

~By far the dirtiest hotel ever.
Hair on the toilet
Shower filthy, (stayed one night and showered at home the nest day)
hair out on the tiles by pool (big giant clumps like out of a hair brush randomly spewed)
pool was not properly vacuumed.

NOW THAT YOU READ THIS FAR!!
Let me suggest hotel 8 (cheapest)or days inn(same price as this dump) both right across the street from this dump)

If you have to go because there is no place else, then here are some tips:
Bring your own towels and blankets and a pair of slippers or flip flops to not be barefoot!

Inspect your room upon arrival, especially the bathroom!!

Do not leave any valuables when you leave, staff looks shady and I read a few people had kindles and laptops stolen when they were charging.

Good Luck!! Thanks for reading and rate if it was helpful or funny ;-)

Room Tip: I don't know where to stay if you do go but do NOT stay in 150!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jordana - Although a tough one to read, we do Thank You for your comments. I am new to this hotel, but not new to this business. Older hotels take more work than others to maintain, but that has nothing to do with cleanliness or attitudes. I will apologize for the conditions that you experienced, and the attitudes you encountered. One is much easier to correct than the other. The property is to begin a renovation later this summer and we believe that many of the issues will be addressed at that time. In the mean time, we will address cleanliness, maintenance and the personnel issues you mentioned. (By the way, we're glad you liked the breakfast!)
Thank You, again, Jordana. Your comments have not been taken lightly. We appreciate your review. Terry Zwirn, General Manager
Alachua, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The rooms are nasty, some kind of stuff all over the walls...yuck! Seriously, I urinate with more pressure than the shower had, the not very clean shower...yuck! We had the pleasure of being greeted by the prostitute who was making her rounds to the rooms where the farm laborers were staying. That was nice, she was a lot more polite than the actual staff though. Oh and the pool, it looked nice until you got in and saw the slime on the walls...YUCK!!!!! You do not want to stay here, trust me.

Room Tip: Go down the road
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear sharOnp301 - Thank you for your comments - no matter how terse they were. While I have been at this hotel for a little less than a week, I know there are many challenges that come with an aging building, but issues about cleanliness and unwelcome visitors can, and will, be dealt with. We apologize for the condition of your room, shower pressure and the pool. Comments such as yours give us a place to start to give future guests a better product and environment in which to stay. Thank you, again, for your honest opinion. Terry Zwirn, General Manager
Hagerstown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel was the worst we have ever stayed in. It was so dirty that we had black socks and feet from walking on the floor. The bathroom was filthy, there was no water pressure so we couldn't shower. And no way were we sitting in that dirty tub to get a bath! There was a LARGE crack all the way around our door so bugs could easily come and go. And boy did they. Our place had bugs in it everywhere. The smell in the room was very nasty and musty too! It was such a nightmare and I can't stress enough, DO NOT STAY HERE! The price looks like a deal, but really they should have to pay You to stay here. It is that bad.....BEWARE!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear dink1012 - Thank you for your comments. They are appreciated. Although I have been here for a little less than a week, I have noted areas that will be addressed immediately to make this a better property to stay in. Cleanliness and maintenance are the building blocks to keeping this property competitive, and that is where we will have to begin. While I must apologize for our poor performance, please know that your comments have not gone on deaf ears. They are always appreciated. Thank you, again, for your honesty. Terry Zwirn, General Manager

Been to Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95? Share your experiences!