“Bed Bugs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95

You added Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95 to your Saves list
Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2535 State Road 16, I-95 Exit 318, Saint Augustine, FL 32092 (Formerly Ramada Limited St. Augustine)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #64 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Chester, Virginia, United States
“Bed Bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We got bit by bugs and the rooms were terrible. The carpet nasty and bath was dirty. The sheets on the bed was damp, moist and had stains on them, I had to buy sheets and still got bitten up. Never again. Not any Ramada that I have ever been too.

Room Tip: None are good rooms, they allow pets in the rooms. Everybody doesn't take care of thier pets.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
We would like to extend our sincere apologies to you for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. We would like to assure you that we take these types of issues very seriously! The comfort and enjoyment of our guests is our number one priority. Once alerted to an issue we will do all we can to ensure that the situation is resolved and our customer is happy. Inkeeping with our commitment to our guests we want to assure you that we have regularly scheduled pest control maintenance and room inspections. We would like all of our guests to know that a thourough inspection of all rooms has been carried out due to this review, and that we do listen to the concerns of our valued customers. While we do welcome pets at our property we would like all guests to know that non-pet rooms are also available, giving us the power to accomodate all of our visitors. We truly hope that you will consider Ramada in your future travels, and we invite you back to the Ramada Limited for a different experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Jefferson City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

better than expected for a budget hotel. The room was clean (I check the mattress and shower before bringing my bags in). It does have that "old hotel stench" but that is to be expected from a budget hotel. I got the room through a hot rate on expedia and got a smokin price, one of the best values I have gotten on a hotel room ever. Don't let the other reviews deter you the price is great and the rooms are clean. I was given my choice of ground floor or not. It is close to the outlet mall but a few miles from St Augustine.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Ramada Limited of St. Augustine. It's always nice to hear that a customer was able to find a great value and enjoyed their time with us. We do hope that should you choose to stay with us again, that you will notify us of anything we can do to help make your stay more enjoyable. You mentioned a "smell" in your review and we would like to apologize for that. Next time just bring it to the attention of one of our courteous front desk members, and we will be happy to see if there is anything we can do for you! Thanks again for taking the time to review our property and please be sure to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast with fresh hot waffles, free wifi access, and lovely outdoor pool on your next visit.
Columbia South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We always stop at the Florida Welcome Center on our way into Florida and grab one of the coupon books if we are planning a quick stay at an exit somewhere. Stayed at this Ramada before doing just that random chance thing in the past and it was OK. We stay at this exit #318 a lot as we love St Augustine. No complaints before so we decided to try it again. I guess in the end we still cannot complain too much but wanted to offer some suggestions/thoughts. With the coupon it was $49.95 for a week day stay + $5 tax for a total of $54.95. Coupon notes a weekend surcharge which is typically about $10. The gentleman at the front desk quickly said $59.95 and when I presented the coupon he quickly changed it to $49.95 with no questions or indication of a surcharge. Then we got the first room on the end towards the lobby and on the first floor and I thought "perfect". Its quick and close to breakfast (which is included). Well this room was OK for what we needed which was a late check in (10:30 pm) and a planned early check out (8:30 am). But it was not nearly as good we we remembered last time. First the comforter had stains on it on the inside. Not great but we could just not use it but it makes you leery of the entire bed. The tub dripped constantly but we never heard it over the air conditioner but it was just another maintenance black eye. The wall had half-finished sheet rock work going on and the shower curtain dropped. The maintenance items did not bother us but was odd for Ramada.
So in general, it was sleepable and showerable but even I put a towel on the pillow case in the hopes that perhaps it was more clean than the pillow case and it is my wife that is the usually the leery one. So it was by far the best rate we found at this exit and sufficed for a quick sleep-and-depart stay.
Being right on the corner and on the first floor, the noise started very early as very loud people tracked by doing what people do (being overly loud with no consideration for others). But if I could do it over, I would have asked for a higher level room in the back, which is where we were last time and I suspect the rooms are much less used and less run down. A little more inconvenient but I remember it being much nicer last stay.
So we have had a hit and a miss here. The desk staff was overly nice and the breakfast was good with hot waffles (the new trend out there). We may not stay here again but we know we will likely have to pay another $30-$40 a night to stay near by, but we must admit that we got what we paid for. I think we just got a little unlucky on the bed spread and the location for the noise.
Would not stay here for more than 1 night or if we were planning to use the room for anything but a quick overnight sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and maybe towards the back. Inconvenient for luggage perhaps but there are lots...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

This is obviously not a brand new hotel but we had a comfortable nights stay and it was very close to outlets and not far from the city atttactions. I think housekeeping can use some improvement and could appear more respectable. We saw them smoking in a room right down from us and eating food and then handling towels and linens after without washing their hands. Almost every time we saw a housekeeper they had a cell phone to their ear. I hope they are working for free or someones money is being wasted. Regardless, I have traveled for business and personal reasons for over 50 years and in that time I have never had customer service as excellent as I did from an employee at ths hotel. Windy, who was the young lady in charge of breakfast, was AMAZING!! She made us feel like we were at a five star resort. It was like we were in a restaurant, not a continental breakfast. She refilled our coffee, cleared away the table, helped us with directions and advised on restaurants and places to see, AND EVEN HELPED WITH THE GRAND CHILDREN! She asked if we needed towels, incidentals and was more concerned about our welfare than anyone else. We were only lucky enough to have her there on one of our days at breakfast, but she out shined every other employee at this hotel and is the reason we will return

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Checked in late at night after a long drive. The desk clerk was very pleasant and checked us in right away. The beds were clean and comfortable. There was a coffee maker in the room. Breakfast in the morning was included and consisted of a variety of items including toast, danish, muffins, juices yogurt, fruit and coffee/tea. We heard other guests complain that the waffle iron was missing; must be a favorite of their breakfast offering.

While the hotel could use a little updating, it was very clean and fine for a night's stay. With breakfast included, you can't beat the price. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
YvetteAGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
We thank you for your review of our hotel and are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Ramada Limited in St. Augustine. We are sorry that you missed out on the hot, self-serve waffle iron and would like to assure you that they will be here during your next stay. We also invite you to try our new cereal offerings, free wifi, and beautiful outdoor pool upon your return!
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

My fiance and I are VERY disappointed that this hotel has the Ramada name on it. We have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and this is BY FAR the nastiest one that we've ever seen. For starters, we were tricked into booking a night there with an outdated promotion that was supposed to give us a $50 gift certificate for the nearby outlet mall. We arrived and were told that the Website just hadn't updated to remove the promotion, which had ended long ago. The clerk was nice enough and reduced the bill by $50, which was okay. They didn't have any gift cards available, but we went ahead and stayed anyhow since we were on our way to Disney World. The first room we went in was an embarrassment to the Ramada name. The bed didn't even have clean sheets. Someone just had apparently thrown the comforter over the slept in bed. The bathroom was filthy and coated in soap scum. The toilet in that one seemed to just run perpetually. There were what appeared to be blood and semen stains on the pillowcases! We were horrified. We went to the front desk and said we'd like at least to get clean linens. The clerk handed us two other room keys and told us to go look at them by ourselves and pick one we wanted. The second room we looked in smelled so rancid when we opened the door that we just closed it and walked away. It smelled like days old trash. The third room, which we kept since it was the lesser evil of the three, was not acceptable either. If it weren't so late at night and we hadn't made a reservation ahead of time that could not be canceled we would not have stayed at all. The shower was coated in filth and grime as if it hadn't been cleaned in years. The toilet hadn't been cleaned because there were urine spots all over the seat. The bedsheets looked cleaner than the other two rooms, but the pillowcases had blood stains on them too. Used tissues littered the room from a previous guest. We were so scared of catching diseases that we skipped showering, didn't use the toilet at all, slept fully dressed with hats on our heads, and checked out after a couple of hours of napping. We took photos of the third room because we wanted to be able to prove how horrible the room was for the price. We honestly think we'd have felt safer and cleaner sleeping in a Motel 8. If this is what it is like to stay in a Ramada, we will not be returning any time soon. I only regret that we didn't photograph the first one, which was even grosser! Honestly, we deserve a full refund for the price of this room since we couldn't bathe or even sleep comfortably in that room. If hotels could get zero stars, this one should get 0.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and RUN away from here.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
We absolutely want to extend our most sincere apologies to you, our valued guest, for the issues you experienced during your stay. We do hope that the discount to compensate for the promotion helped you enjoy your stay, and want to let you know that the website has been updated and the outdated information removed. It was simply an oversight as our new sales director was settling in, and we again hope you will accept our apologies for the inconvenience. The issues you experienced with your rooms are something that we take very seriously and want to assure you that we find this unacceptable. We have reviewed the photographs you provided with our housekeeping staff, and implemented more stringent guidelines during our room checks, to ensure that our guests will have a pleasant experience while staying here. We do hope that you found the front desk staff helpful and courteous while they worked to resolve these issues. While we never like to see this happen, we do try our very best to rectify the situation quickly. Again, we hope you will accept our apologies and do hope that you will give our location another try in the future.
Titusville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I must say that I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews for this hotel, but read some really good ones too. We live in Florida and wanted to have a getaway with the kids without the hassles of traveling too far. This hotel is aged and worn, but is far cleaner than some of the reviews state. The hotel is past it's glory days and is not a Hampton or a Courtyard, but the price was right and it's close to the outlet malls, beaches and sights downtown. The kids loved the large deep pool and the breakfast was what we expected (waffles and such). The staff is what makes this property special...to mention a few that stood out: Wendy at breakfast was exceptional at customer service, Ryan was always running, but always took the time to say hello, the manager Scot made sure we knew what sights to see where to eat...even took the time to print us out a mapquest without our asking and wanda in housekeeping was sweet.

Not a bad place for the money, location and staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson St. Augustine/ I-95? Share your experiences!