“DUMP!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Historic

You added Quality Inn Historic to your Saves list
Quality Inn Historic
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 North Ponce de Leon Boulevard, Saint Augustine, FL 32084 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Ocklawaha, Florida, United States
“DUMP!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This rooms in this place are filthy! The bed sheets were clean, but the coverlet & bed skirt were gross. Covered with blobs & splotches of unknown origin. Disgusting. Un-dusted, un-vac'd, dirty tub & toilet, cobwebs everywhere, dead bugs...TOTALLY GROSS. Asked front desk to have someone at least clean the tub. An elderly maintenance man scrubbed the black off one side of the tub, and then left the cleaner on the back of the toilet tank. The other 75% of the tub remained black. I was able to use a tissue and my finger to scrape the crud off the tub. Broken bathroom door, curtain rod yanked out of the wall and left hanging, room door wouldnt close properly. I have seen the manager responding here that this hotel isnt on a waterway or by train tracks, but it most certainly is!! IF YOU WANT A CLEAN ROOM DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: The best tip I could give is to say choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

For starters, the hotel's cleanliness is fairly average and the Rooms are typical of cheap motels. That wasn't the problem. We had a room in the back, facing the railroad--where it was dark and secluded. Around midnight when my family was preparing to sleep, we heard yelling right outside our door. We became alarmed by the bits of argument we actually understood so we began packing quietly to leave. Then the door that joined are room and our fighting neighbors was opened on the other side (we seen the light shining through) which scared us the most. Eventually it quieted down enough for us to scramble to the car like thieves in the night and the hotel manager was nice enough to refund our money. Bottom line: this hotel is in a dangerous location and attracts bad crowds.

• Stayed September 2011
Jane P, Manager at Quality Inn Historic, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
I am sorry to hear about your experinse with the hotel you stayed at. I believe you may have mistakenly posted your review for the wrong property, Our property is not located by the Rail Road and our parking area and buildig is well lit at night. Once again I do apologize and hope to see you at our property for a pleasant stay.

Thanks,
Jane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

If u just need a room to sleep in and maybe swim in the pool it is ok....I think it would be better if it would have been updated. There was lots of patch work done and not done...but that is all cosmetic and for the most part it was descent, and reasonable for the rate.

Stayed August 2012
Bowling Green, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel is what you would expect for the price, but they allow pets and our room smelled like a dog when we arrived. The hotel is also a on the outside of the historic district and within walking distance when we arrived. I like affordable hotels because I typically do not spend much time there other than sleeping, but a little effort from staff can make a stay go along way. My wife and I moved to the Best Western Spanish Quarter after the first night and found it met our needs much better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kutztown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My room at this motel was clean with a comfortable bed. Likewise, the bathroom was clean, and it was supplied with lots of towels. The room had all the usual amenities, and there was also an iron and ironing board. It really isn't too far to walk into the historic part of the city, but you have to cross Route 1 (Ponce de Leon Blvd.),and that can be tricky. They can call you a shuttle from Ripley's Red Train or from the Old Town Trolley, and then you can buy a ticket to ride the train or trolley all day around the area. It is worth it to take the train or trolley. You have the tour guide and the transportation. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is a hot breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, waffles, cookies, packaged cupcakes, packaged pies, fruit, bagels, cereal, and yogurt. The attendant at the breakfast buffet is very friendly and greets everyone with a pleasant, "Good morning." I will probably be staying there again when I visit St. Augustine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel is getting a score of 4 out of 5 IN SPITE OF a black and white checkered bathtub bottom, at the antipodes of the coconut white bathtub that I had in August 2011 at the ex-Best Western “Imperial Palmgarten” hotel in Frankfurt, Germany. That great hotel still existed at the end of last month, but is no longer part of Best Western Hotels. I tried to stay with them again on June 23 and 24, but when they said that they could not determine the room they would give me that day because the number would be determined by their central reservations in Hamburg (for Frankfurt???), I ran away because, the older I get, the less I tolerate stupidity!

Quality Saint Augustine black and white bathtub is also at the antipodes of another coconut white one that I had June 14, 2012 at the Best Western hotel in Bourg-en-Bresse, France, for which I already posted a review right here, in Trip Advisor.

In spite of that, I am giving four out of five because of the rest.

First of all, this place is a walking distance from “Plaza de la Constitución”, which is the oldest public place in the USA, dating from 1575 if I have good memory, half a century before the “Mayflower”.

I walked from the hotel to San Marco Avenue, one long block from it, and then turned right to go to the Castillo de San Marcos fortress, turned around it taking pictures, continued through pedestrian Saint George Street all the way to the square and the entrance of the Lions Bridge; then back to the hotel. My Garmin Nuvi GPS, which I had set to “Pedestrian” mode and turned the trip to zero before leaving, marked only three miles round trip in one hour and a half.

Second: corner king room 243 which I got on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 for $67.45 (with 10% Senior discount) was almost twice as big as the corner king room that I had the day before at the Best Western Palm Coast, for which I am also writing a review. Besides a king bed and two bed tables, four times the size of the usual mini ones in Ibis Hotels, there are two club chairs (not as comfortable as the ones of BW’s Palm Coast) and several things that you will never find in Europe or South America (at three times that price!), except in your wildest dreams: a coffee maker, a refrigerator, a microwave and an iron with an ironing board. Same thing for the Guest Laundry room, totally unknown over there! In here, you need your room key to access it.

True, you will find the first two items (coffee maker and refrigerator) in many European hotels. But the refrigerator you see in the US, with an ice compartment, is rather a “minibar” with NO ice, but containing a dozen bottles that they expect you to drink at the modest price of five dollars for a small bottle of water, as I found in all European Best Western hotels where I slept last month, with the exception of the Apollonia one, which had no minibar. You will find my reviews about those hotels also in T.A.

But the only place where I have seen a microwave outside of the US is at the “Quality Suites Bibliothèque François Mitterrand” on Rue de Tolbiac, Paris. You may want to read my review about this excellent value for money in Paris (the real one, not the one in Texas!) right here, in T.A.

As for the iron and the ironing board, I have never seen it anywhere outside of the US, not even at the Sheraton Four Points in Montevideo, Uruguay, for which I also wrote a review.

If the bathtub did not meet my expectations, however, there were lots and lots of towels in this corner room 243: 12 in total! There were four bath towels, four midsize ones and four small towels for the face. Contrast these twelve towels with the only miserable two towels that you get at all Ibis Hotels worldwide! You may also want to read my reviews about several Ibis Hotels where I have been in France, Brazil and Peru.

These little things that make life more comfortable, made me give a four instead of a three in spite of the checkered bottom of the bathtub, which can be easily repaired with lots and lots of Clorox and lots and lots of hard scrubbing instead of just caressing the tub with a wet towel, as many housekeepers do! When I moved into my current apartment in Miami Beach in 2004, the bathtub was like this one and, after battling with it during several weeks and using a whole container of CLR and another one of Clorox, now it is coconut white!

And, yes, it is true that you will find an envelope on the desk suggesting that you leave a tip for the maid at the front desk, as several reviewers have written.

WARNINGS:
1) Rooms on the back have a very nice view over a river (or spring, or pond; call it the way you like! The front desk clerk told me it is the “San Sebastian River”). BUT they also face an ACTIVE RAILROAD TRACK just a few yards away!
2) Rooms 107 to 114 and 207 to 214 included have NO VIEW WHATSOEVER because they open over a dark hallway and have a wall about eight feet in front of the window! This is a real scandal that I have already seen in many other hotels worldwide, including a room in the underground without any window at all in Amsterdam, Holland, in the 1980s and exactly the same thing in Eugene, Oregon, in the 1990s! This explains why I always request a room on the top floor with a wide open view!

Room Tip: BEWARE of rooms in the back, with a great view over San Sebastian River, but also with an ACTIVE RAI...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I booked the Executive Suite and considering it is the most expensive room in the hotel , I DID NOT get what I paid for. Needs complete remodeling and upgrade. Room was clean, slight odor (bought room freshener) Full sized kitchen was large but some cabinets need repair, missing parts. Sofa bed needs new mattress, my daughter has bruises from the springs. Bathrooms were clean, but old and dingy, tile grout yucky, mirrors need replacing. Staff was the only nice part of the stay. House cleaning : Margaret, great personality and sweet. Tati (breakfast staff) extremely sweet, and another gentlemen (working the waffle maker) very entertaining. Hotel owner should consider investing some $$ in bringing the hotel to standard. I guess they figure if it still works why replace, even though things look horrible. Oh, and the huge old tube tv's need to be replaced. Yes they work, but come on, they are like 20 years old. In the end, will not consider staying here and would NOT recommend. If you decide to stay, ask for a room towards the front. Traintrack runs right up against the back of the hotel (and i mean RIGHT up on the hotel, less than 10 ft away)

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the front of the hotel or pool area.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Historic? Share your experiences!