“Absolutely Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newnan, Georgia
“Absolutely Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

I stayed at the Casa Monica with my mother for only one night while passing through town. It was not a planned trip, so we just wandered in from downtown St. Augustine and fell in love instantly. The lobby is gorgeous with amber lighting and Spanish style decor. Our room was very nice and clean and overlooked the pool, which we did not go to, but looked nice and relaxing. We had dinner in the hotel at the 95 Cordova, and can honestly say it was one of the best meals I have ever had. After dinner we went to the lounge which had an awesome martini menu and a really good little jazz band playing. We had a great time at the Santa Monica. I can not stress enough how beautiful this hotel is and I am looking forward to returning again with my husband.

• Stayed October 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Bialystok, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

This is a very nice hotel, comfortable rooms etc etc. However, we were shocked when they began painting the pool deck on Easter Sunday afternoon - closed off half of the inner yard around the pool. They continued the paint job on Easter Monday closing off the other part !!!!!

Great check-in by a lady from Sydney. Good Wi-Fi + Boose. Great pastry !

Stayed ther just one night - Sunday

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

My husband (boyfriend at the time)booked a weekend in a deluxe room for the two us. The hotel is really beautiful, small but very charming. It has a old-world glam feel to it. The room was very comfortably appointed, and the bed was quite cozy. We had dinner at 95 Cordova our first evening there, my husband proposed to me just prior to going down for dinner. I can't honestly remember what I ate or even what it tasted like because I was so excited but he tells me his food was excellent. I do recall that the restaurant was very chic and sexy as far as decor. We valeted the car and I do believe that is a must. The location of the hotel is perfect! I honestly believe it is by far the most plush hotel in all of St.Augustine (there really are not any 5 star establishments there).
I have to agree with a post previous to mine about check-out. We checked out on a Sunday and it took forever! The manner in which it is conducted was not efficient at all. But I just thought that was due to a wedding party checking out at the same time as us but possibly this is an issue with the hotel? We also got room service breakfast on Sunday morning and it was quite tasty, I believe we had omelets and mimosas. Either way it was a great weekend, very relaxing and romantic. The pool area is very charming as well.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

We go to St. Augustine every year for Spring Break. This year was the first time we stayed at the Casa Monica. We loved it!!! The hotel and staff were great. We have decided we will stay here every year. And the 95 Cordova restaurant is a must!!! The steaks were the best I have ever eaten (and I live in Texas and eat a lot of beef). Try the tomato and goat cheese stack salad--out of this world.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Napa, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

My husband and I had our small wedding dinner at 95 Cordova and then stayed at the hotel afterwards. THE RESTAURANT WAS AMAZING. The food was delicious and fulfilling. My event manager was so helpful and the dinner turned out beautifully. Without a doubt, I would recommend having dinner at 95 Cordova, it is quite impressive. Order the calamari, it is scrumptious.
The hotel itself, was nowhere near as impressive as the restaurant. The hotel rooms are very small for the amount you pay. The hotel staff is not very helpful. I checked-in prior to the wedding dinner and was ignored repeatedly. The staff helped 2 parties behind me before noticing I was waiting to be helped. And I was in my wedding dress, which I thought was hard to ignore.
We reserved the premium room, which is not worth the $270. You can get just as good of a room at any other hotel for less than half that price. By the way, they automatically charge you a resort fee and a valet fee. If you do not use the valet, you must tell them to take it off when you check out.
The room was very small, and had a door to connect to the adjacent room. When we got in the music was already on, which became an obvious nuisance later since it was the cause of numerous complaint calls to our room. (It's quite annoying to be disturbed many times on your wedding night, when you are not even loud yet!) The walls are obviously very thin as the neighbors could hear us easily, and we could hear their screaming kids all morning.
Check-out was horrible. Check-out time is 11:00 am, and they had 1 person at the desk. Maybe 5 or so parties, including myself were waiting to be checked -out. It took forever. The person who checked us out never even asked us how our stay was.
I definitely expected more since we had our wedding reception at the hotel, but we received no special treatment at all. If anything the treatment was pretty shabby at the hotel. So just go for the restaurant, don't stay at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Tifton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

Unlike other reviewers, I found the staff attentive and friendly. The hotel is lovely. The room was attractive and the bed comfortable. The room isn't large, but how big does it need to be? I enjoyed the connection to the Flagler story, which we heard much about from the tour guides. (To trolley or not to trolley? It stops right in front of the hotel. The area covered is very small. Almost anyone can walk it. But the commentary is interesting. Try doing it with several different drivers.) We arrived at the hotel in the midst of happy hour, which is Sun. through Thurs. 4-6, with complimentary hors d'oeuvres. After unpacking, we decided to start there. Wine is $8-9+ a glass, but you have to consider where you are (meaning in the heart of the town's tourist area), so it is comparable to the surrounding options. Selections were good. The hors d'oeuvres were crab claws and baked oysters on the half shell. The oysters were really good. I had several, which really took the edge off a little too well for anyone who anticipates a nice dinner at some of the well reviewed restaurants in the area. We did not eat dinner at 95 Cordova, but did have a nice lunch there, the next day. This hotel is surrounded by restaurant options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all within easy walking distance, as is all of the old town area. In the one full day and two partial days we were in St. Augustine's, we particularly enjoyed A1A, the microbrewery at the end of the block, for beer and appetizers (sit outside for a view of the bay); and Casa Maya on Hipolyta (next to Claude's chocolates) for breakfast on the patio, and their very delicious spicy hot chocolate. I also had to try the hot chocolate at Claude's (much later in the day), for the contrast. It is European in style, thick and creamy. Both were good.
The fitness center at the hotel is so-so, but does have complimentary water bottles. We didn't use the pool at all, but it looked lovely, and would have been a good place for reading the paper, or relaxing. There is a shaded area with tables and chairs.
We booked on priceline, so I was not surprised that we did not have a good view. We were not charged the resort fee that has been mentioned, but also, the complimentary transportation to the beach site is not available Sun. through Wed., so I think that might be why. We didn't get a paper delivered to the room either, but again, that might reflect the fact that the resort fee was not charged. The valet parking is $20. The coffee shop is very convenient and the coffee is good, but there are other coffee shops as well, all over the old town area.

• Stayed March 2009
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

We spent a night at the historic Casa Monica in February, and got a bargain rate of $99 plus $20 valet parking (you can negotiate, especially for Sunday night stays). The hotel is ideally located right in the center of the historic district. Our bargain rate was for a "European-style" room, but when we checked in, those rooms were apparently taken, so we got an "upgrade'. However, the upgrade room was no bigger than a typical Hampton Inn room, and the king bed made it seem a little cramped. The bathroom is only slightly larger than Hampton Inn's. If not for the bargain room rate, we would have felt ripped off. As common for historic properties, the halls are a little dim, but the lobby is nicely furnished. Valet staff were especially friendly, but front desk personnel were not particularly welcoming. The restaurant is very formal, and the entire hotel is a little over bearing, but worth the stay for the history and location if you can get a good rate. There's a Starbucks in the hotel for quick breakfast.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Monica, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!