“Pleasant suprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spanish Bakery & Cafe

Spanish Bakery & Cafe
42-1/2 St. George St., Rear garden behind 42 St. George St., Saint Augustine, FL 32084-3608 (Formerly Spanish Bakery)
+1 904-342-7859
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #142 of 486 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: American, Bakery, Spanish, Café
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Spanish Bakery & Cafe has been serving customers for over 40 years. We specialize in fresh baked bread, homemade empanadas, sausage rolls, daily soups, picadillo (a beanless Spanish chili), cookies and pastries. It is a fresh, fast and delicious meal.
Orefield, Pennsylvania
“Pleasant suprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stopped by for a quick bite. Got some spanish bread and empanadas. The beef empanada and spanish bread were great. The chicken empanada was good but not what I expected. The Datil pepper sauce was a good addition to the empanadas.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newark, Delaware
“Good quick lunchtime stop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We were looking for a quick lunchtime meal before continuing our sightseeing. The Spanish Bakery & Cafe filled the bill. empanadas and picadillo and the sausage roll. We also bought three of their cookies. I thought the sausage roll was just a glorified hot dog, but my husband enjoyed it. The soup was delicious. The empanadas were also very good. Yummy cookies. We were in and out quickly, ate and went happily on our way.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pace, Florida, United States
“Excellent soups and bread!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I remembered this restaurant from middle school field trips and family vacations, and I was excited to go back as an adult with my kids. I had the picadillo and it was SO delicious! The bread rolls are great, and my kids asked me to buy them seconds. The sausage was terribly greasy with undercooked doughy bread around it, and the egg and sausage empanada was inedible. It just tasted like straight up grease. I wish they had stuck with just soup and bread. I really wish I could give it 5 stars. The picadillo and bread were 5 star worthy, but the rest fell way way short.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Eustis, Florida
“Delicious food, great little place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

You can almost overlook this gem, it sits back off the street in a courtyard. We saw the sign and went in for the empanadas and we weren't dissappointed, they were hot and fresh as was the piccadillo, a sort of meaty soup similar to chili and served over rice. Don't look for indoor seating, but there are numerous picnic tables in the courtyard. Loaves of fresh bread were being brought out as we were leaving, and they smelled heavenly. Great little place for lunch!

Visited January 2014
Washington, North Carolina
“Yuk!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Trip Advisor reviews were so good, so we decided to have lunch there. I told my friend that the lunch meal was $5.50. The person working the counter stated that the meal had increased to $6.50, as they were under new management. I got a beef empanada meal and a chicken empanada for $4.00 extra. The filling and the shell were very bland, almost tasteless! The roll tasted like a yeast roll from Golden Corral - nothing special. The spice cookie was good, however. My friend got a sausage roll. He said it was just ok. It may have been good before, but under the new management, I wouldn't waste my taste buds.

• Visited December 2013