“casual beach style restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #141 of 508 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Reservations
Ringgold, Georgia
“casual beach style restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a casual beach style restaurant for those wishing to relax and kick back. Food was good- we had broiled trio which was comprised of scallops, shrimp and mahi($17). Could have had snapper. Our other entrée was surf and turf, an 8 oz sirloin with shrimp($17). The entrees come with hushpuppies and two sides- slaw or vegetables like green beans and squash. Hushpuppies were better than average. Squash was well prepared and seasoned. Portions are generous. Costs for entrees were generally in the range of 13-18 dollars with a focus on seafood. Staff was friendly and service was good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

philadelphia area
“Great service, decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was recommended to us by a local at the airport...we were afraid of where to go since it was dinner time on Father's Day and we had no reservations since we hadn't planned on being in St. Augustine until later.
We had a short wait but nothing unusual for a family of six. The waitress and hostesses were all very nice and I think the atmosphere is fine for a seafood house.
The menu definitely leans towards fried food...something I generally make us avoid. So myself and the kids were a little more picky but my husband said it was Father's Day and he'd eat what he wanted! He ordered the onion rings appetizer but I wouldn't recommend it. They were really bland and really battered. Just not what I'm used to.
Everything else was fine and all the portions were large. We couldn't think about dessert and none of us finished our meals.
I'm from the Northeast so I thought their prices were really reasonable.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

EXCELLENT!!! After searching on trip advisor for local restaurants we happen to drive past Shooter's Seafood House on the way to visit the oldest jail. I saw a billboard sign that said prime rib $14.59 and fried shrimp for $8.99. So we gave it a try because nothing on the strip caught our attention. Well worth the stop!!! It was packed, about a 30 min wait so we sat at the bar. Full service at the bar and Josh (the bartender) was on point! We ordered the special and it was DELICIOUS! Large portions, great prices, great customer service, never felt rushed....OH and Josh can make a heck of a marguerita 2 for 1 mason jar special. The bill for great tasting food and margaritas for the hubby and I...$34.00 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“average C minus”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The food is typical seafood fry house food. The Menorcan chowder was good, after I tried the conch fritters they were poor as was the gator tail, both were over cooked in dirt oil. I had for my entrée stuffed shrimp that were quite small and lacking the crabmeat stuffing I hoped for. My wife ordered a hot tea that smelled like coffee and was replaced by a fresh one and it was too cold to steep the tea leaves. The best part of the dinner was the service. Our waitress was good and kept up with good spirits that warranted a 20% tip.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Saint Augustine, Florida
“THE WORST FOOD IN TOWN!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My family and I met there tonight to have dinner as my daughter was visiting. After placing our order, we received our appetizers which were cold, then came dinner. Dinner was cold and for the price the food was horrible. (The funny thing is this happened to us last year as well when we went had a family get together.) I will NEVER eat at Schooners again and recommend to anyone reading this that they think long and hard about going there!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere