“Wonderful Place” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, NC
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Nice location, great view, and excellent room! We stayed the 11/30-12/1 weekend and caught the parade. Even though it was raining, it was still lots of fun being able to watch it while eating breakfast and then from the balcony of our room.

It certainly is on the pricey side but as other reviewers have pointed out all the staff is top notch. They are very accomodating and helpful with anything that you require. We had dinner in the Aviles Restaurant and the "buffet" breakfast. The Avile Restaurant is excellent and could easily stand alone against any other restaurant in the area - it's not like your standard hotel food. This place is solid! My wife and I each tried the Prime Rib special which was all the prime rib you wanted for $22. Came with bread, salad, and a side. Awesome! Also have their ham and cheese croquettes as an appetizer. Food was great!

Only issue we had was that our bathroom was a little dirty but after our call down to the front desk, they quickly remedied the situation. There will always be problems, but that is really the sign of a good hotel - good management and quality people. I recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for balconies with a street view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonGM-USTHD, General Manager at Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and review of our hotel and historic city. I am sorry you had an issue with our housekeeping and am glad to know that it was corrected immediately. I assure you, we expect no problems in housekeeping ang I do apologize that we had to come back and correct the situation. Please return soon, we will make sure everything is perfect for your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location - can't beat it ! That's the only great thing to say - otherwise it's actually really a disappointment being a Hilton - the rooms are comfortable/decent - but dated. The halls and carpet are in need of work. I was uncomfortable that the "key access" to the buildings were not used - pretty much open access from the streets - security odviously isn't a concern. We didn't eat at the hotel -- too many other great places in the area to eat and drink. The staff was ok - not exactly the Hilton Standard for Customer Service. The parking is a total rip off -- $21 to park -- really?

Room Tip: ask to stay on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonGM-USTHD, General Manager at Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am sorry you didn't enjoy our decor. The hotel was required to build to standards required in the historic district and we chose to furnish the hotel in period furniture. Obviosly that precludes normal Hilton furniture and it would appear dated if viewed out of context. The hotel is secure at night as we have a security guard on duty and he locks all the accesses as well as monitors the traffic in and out. The hotel consists of 19 building interconnected and so while access seem easy, there are security locks at night as well as security cameras. Lastly, to build in the district requires special arrangements for parking and thus we charge for that amenity. I realize my answers will not satisfy your complaints but I wanted to let you know that we certainly have tried to address concerns such as you have raised. I hope you will return to our city agin.
Apopka, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our stay here was wonderful and we would definitely come back.
Overall the pros were: great location, great views, lots of charm and character, clean, friendly staff, comfortable room, and great valet service.
Overall the cons were: slow service for the breakfast (might have been a one-time fluke).
We stayed here for our anniversary and they left a bottle of champagne in our room; what a great touch!

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the river and balcony if you can!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonGM-USTHD, General Manager at Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and review that you posted. Our effort is to provide the very best in service in all areas and I apologize the we aere lacking in the breakfast service. I will discuss this with our F&B Director immediately to prevent a recurrence in the future. Please return to sttay soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

You can't beat the location of this hotel - it's right near everything a tourist would want to walk to. That's also a minus if you have kids and aren't drinking yourself silly at night. Your rooms are right next to an unending procession of drunk revellers returning at all hours of the night. Also, some rooms are susceptible to the kitchen odors, giving your stay a cooked onion overall feel. Shower water pressure is weak. Otherwise pleasant staff. Not quite up to the Hilton name.

• Stayed December 2012
I am sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. Our goal is to always strive to provide the very best in Hilton standards. I appreciate your constructive criticism and assure you we will make every effort to improve in the areas you cited.
Vero Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I spent Christmas 2012 in Saint Augustine Florida. We chose the Hilton downtown because of the Hilton Brand and we always stay with the Hilton. We were disappointed in the accommidations. The room was small and the furniture seems a little crowded. The staff was excellent and eager to please. My biggest surprise was the fact there was no microwave. I found out that the hotel was a partial refurbish of an older existing motel and new structures. I felt the room we had was part of the old motel as it seemed a little dated. As for the restaurant it was very good. Overall the price was a bit more that the accommidations provided as we had a great view of the alley and roof. Not impressed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectaions. Let me first clarify that our hotel is entirely new construction, opening in 2005. It is actually 18 separate buildings interconnected by a corridor system. The buildings foot prints and exterior design, including balconies were built in compliance with construction requirements of the historic district. The buildings and furnishings are an attempt to replicate the Second Spanish Era of St. Augustine. Most full service Hilton properties do not proide individual microwaves in the room. I apologize if you expected one. When making reservations you will find the individual Hilton properties provide a list of their amenities in their information on the web site.

It is good to know our staff and restaurant were up to your standards and we appreciate that feedback. I hope you will return in the future so we can provide a better experience.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is a great place to stay in the Old City. Location is premium. Staff excellent. I had originally reserved a place two miles away and after we checked in, I realized I had made a major mistake. I called the Hilton and thankfully I was able to secure two rooms. They were beautiful and luxurious. The view of the water was special. The breakfast buffet was delicious. If you go to Saint Augustine, dont be tempted to cut corners. The Hilton will meet your needs and it is quite a value too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind comments and review. I am pleased we were able "save" your visit to the oldest city. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you as a return guest.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel is well situated for the sights of St. Augustine. It also has nice views from some rooms of the sea, get a second floor room for views. The hotel is well furnished. It was Christmas time, and they did a great job with decorating. The staff are really excellent, from checkin to valets, to breakfast cooks. (btw all parking is valet - not too bad considering you can walk to everything in St. Aug).

Room Tip: Second Floor balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HiltonGM-USTHD, General Manager at Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
I am pleased you enjoyed the convenience of our location. It is also rewarding to know our staff provided a service level that met your needs and expectations. I hope you will return to see us soon.

Been to Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront? Share your experiences!