“It's ok.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Reef is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #127 of 486 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Eclectic, Bar
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
New England
“It's ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We traveled with friends for 3 hours to go to the Reef for Sunday brunch. They go there while wintering in Florida and love it so they wanted to take us there while we were visiting. It was definitely NOT worthy of a 3 hour drive. I'm not even sure I'd go back if in St Augustine again. I wasn't that impressed.
The Reef features a Sunday brunch with a large variety of buffet items for I think $30 pp.
I will say the grits were excellent....they do a creamy grit dish with jalapeños. Also, the bacon was excellent....nice and crispy. But for me grits, bacon and all you can drink mimosas does not suggest $30 price tag and especially not a 3 hour drive.
I had an omelette which was good...they make them to order. They also make eggs Benedict to order (but we did not try those).
There are shrimp and king crab legs on the buffet but personally I don't like food I have to work for and get messy/dirty when I'm dressed for a Sunday brunch.
There was a pork dish but it was dry. There was plenty of cheese, sausage and salad...but I didn't have any. I couldn't eat all that.
They do offer dessert....two choices - either key lime pie (which was excellent but they give you the smallest sliver) or chocolate cake.
They do serve mimosas unlimited. But that is not a big selling point for me. If you don't want mimosa they serve plain champagne or a drink with champagne and cranberry. These are included in the cost of $30 pp.
The service is just ok....nothing over the top. They have to be asked repeatedly for anything you want before you actually get it.
I had there coffee and it was not that good....had a funny taste.
This restaurant overlooks the water....nice view but very limited seating outside. We had to sit inside since their outside seating was filled up.
So I won't be going back...but if you want to overpay for all you can eat buffet go ahead. I wish we had just gone to Waffle House or eaten at home.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

olney
“Make Sure To Stop Here While In The Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stopped here while in Florida this winter and were completely satisfied with the service, the ambiance, the food and, of course, the staff. It doesn't matter where you sit in the restaurant or the bar, the view of the Atlantic is spectacular. Enough cannot be said about the food! It was superb. When we walked thru the front door we were welcomed by the staff in a warm and friendly way, seated at a table, though not right at the window, but truly in a location that was perfect. Do believe our waitresses name was Shannon and she was incredibly sweet and attentive to our questions. The wine list also displayed some very nice selections. We will most definitely return to the Reef.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orchard Park, New York
“Great dinner with a view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The lobster bisque was very tasty and not too thick. The lobster & schrimp risotto was delicious also. The view of the ocean was awesome.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Palm Coast, Florida
“Disappointment in both food and treatment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Before they closed for an extended remodel we used to frequent it often and loved it . Very excited when they reopened -new owners-and finally decided to try it again a few months ago for our anniversary .made a reservation for the outside deck. Arrived happy to see one of our favorites again. First issue came right away---2 young hostess said Sorry it might rain so you can't sit outside ! It's not raining now and there are all sorts of people out there now . Sorry manager said no / can I speak to manager/ no busy/ of course no window tables left/ sat in the bar at a tall bar table/ok still planned to enjoy but hostess at a higher priced restaurant should know how to treat people and if you have to move people inside you do it(by the way it never rained)
Ordered the Portabello mushrooms stuffed with prime rib ran out of usual small caps so brought one big one(very poor had to cut like a pizza and portion out)- at least ask before serving or serve two seperate to make a palatable presentation

Next ordered the prime rib - came out cold --ordered medium rare so sending back to heat not an option--also out of the vegetable/ made the best of a bad dinner experience ..paid the large bill left a real good tip waitress was. A+ not her fault
Won't be back

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“What a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our group of four went here for dinner. The view was amazing. The grouper and conch fritters were very tasty too! Everyone in our party were very satisfied with their meals, the waitstaff and the view.

Visited February 2013