“Local owners” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Local owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Fresh food, great service by management. We had wine, salad, fish, lamb, soup, bread... everything but dessert.

Visited October 2012

Greenville, SC
“Great food and better than pricier places in town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Gypsy Cab is on Anastasia Island just a short ride outside of downtown St. Augustine. For those staying in Crescent Beach or St. Aug Beach it is a much better choice than trying to park in town. We went for my wife's birthday dinner. We shared the mussel appetizer at $10, which was ample. The service was quick and attentive. The house salad was fresh and the dressing was fine. Nothing fancy or special, but included in the price. She had lamb shank and I had a wonderful duck. The two most expensive things on the menu at $26 each roughly. The bottle of wine was $24. Overall the meal quality was top notch. Duck can be greasy, or tough, or gamy. This was perfect. She said the lamb shank was delicious. The vegetables were excellent. Her lamb came with potatoes and my duck had just the right starch sides. We were very pleased with this meal. We got there early and got a very good table with some privacy and the server did things perfectly. When he was called away on an errand, the manager jumped right in and finished the service smoothly. With tax and tip it came to $94. Much better value than our pricier meal in town the next night. We will definitely return. We have been there for lunch, and it is even better value.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Mixed bag.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Well I finally made it to the Gypsy Cab Co. to eat, and let's just say I wasn't blown away. Clearly they must be doing something right with all the positive and raving reviews listed here though, but cor blimey, have any of you ever dined at a top class restaurant before? Paradise, are you the owner? Goodness.

Apparently the decor was in dire need of a makeover, and although I cannot attest to what it looked like in the past, there didn't seem anything wrong with the decor. The concept is a little strange, but the colours are bright and cheerful, and it all mixes well. Looks great to me.

The service was pretty good. Not one point during the meal and process of paying the bill did the server introduce himself with a name. I found his name on the bill obviously. Sean did an excellent job of recommending a sauce modification to go with my meal, and he clearly knew the menu (not an extensive menu, which seems to be printed daily, which I quite like). He sold me on the New York Strip. We started with a delicious, dangerously fattening fried cheese appetiser of some sort, which we really enjoyed. He sold me on the New York Strip, which I bought and ordered. The side salad, house salad, bread and appetiser were all fresh and tasted great. The N.Y strip I ordered (one of the priciest menu items, seemingly 10-12oz, maybe the latter) was not good at all, in any shape or form I am sorry to say. He sold it well, but it did not deliver. I think he was a little baffled at the end of the meal when he asked if I wanted a box and I said no, you can just take it. The steak was an average cut of meat, was not seasoned, and was COMPLETELY drenched in a very basic glaze ( think a bourbon glaze of some sort). I had the glaze rather than the mushroom cream sauce as I loath mushroom, but a glaze should be a glaze and not a sauce. Either there was no care or thought put into that minor detail, or the 'glaze' was there to mask the average meat below it. The vegetables were boring, not seasoned and not buttered, and the mash potatoes were not hot and nothing special.

The table directly next to us sent their plate back with cold food the second he returned having served the dishes.

Clearly popular with the locals, good service from people who clearly care, and a warm, friendly and inviting restaurant, but the food is clearly the biggest issue. I wont be returning for dinner but I would go back for a shot at lunch, and I wouldn't order a steak.

If I wanted a steak so badly I should have just taken the girl to a steakhouse and/or grill. Maybe something else on the menu would have been worth it.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta Area
“Return visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

A favorite of ours for lunch. This year my wife had a veggie burger, real veggie, not meat-like. Served with guacamole. I had a Cab burger with cheddar. Great fries - crusty like the curly fries at Arby's but without the spice, and they were straight fries. I don't usually get fries but these are the bomb. We will return next year if not again this visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
san francisco USA
“mixed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

the cajun chicken...domined by heavy sauce
mine was the speciality of the house at least it was the whole half breast and was good,the fruit pie was delicious and Melody the waitress was wayyy very nice

Visited December 2012