“Take Out is Questionable” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #321 of 486 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar, Chicken Wings
Dining options: Late Night
Description: jacks bar be que is unique. We are the only local restaurant with a full service bar that also has a pool for our customers enjoyment. our recently added music venue has been a hit with locals and regional musicians alike. Jacks has been a locals favorite for decades,yet visitors always feel welcome. The only way to truly appreciate it is to come and spend a little time at a REAL locals restaurant.
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
“Take Out is Questionable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We checked into our hotel room today in St. Auggie with one thing in mind - take-out style, authentic pulled pork BBQ. I must mention that I wasn't on the actual premises because my husband did the pick up. Therefore I cannot comment on the atmosphere and service, hence the two bubbles.

My order was basic - BBQ sandwich, fries, and slaw, with hot wings on the side. The slaw had a nice little tang which I like. The French Fries were average - give ;em a decent dollop of catsup and they're good. The wings were just the way I like them - crispy, hot, and tasty.

Although the bread was perfectly toasted, sadly, the meat on my BBQ sandwich tasted nothing at all like pork. If I'd ever eaten cardboard, I suspect I could compare it to that. I don't know if it had been previously frozen then thawed out or what, but there was a definite taste of freezer burn or something going on. It reminded me of something from the caferteria in junior high.....45 years ago. The only way to give it the was benefit of the doubt was to add BBQ sauce from the included container. I KNOW good pulled pork, with and without sauce. Unfortunately, this was not it.

Even our cats turned their noses up at a pinchful, and they are pork fiends. We were disappointed and I hope this isn't always the case, because I have heard all good things about Jack's.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York
“It's a local dive...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

...and the locals want to keep it that way. I'm a fan of funky, even grungy, joints and this certainly is one. It's near the beach and has a kind of "old Florida" curb appeal. They have music almost every night and I'm in favor of that. But - it is patronized by locals almost exclusively. I wouldn't say the clientele is hostile to unfamiliar faces but they are not particularly welcoming either. Be advised - everybody, I mean everybody (it seems like), smokes. I've been in the area for a few months now and was hoping this would be a friendly yet unpretentious place to drop in every once in a while. I'm still looking. (It got 2 bullets instead of one because of their commitment to music.)

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wyckoff, New Jersey
“What a dump!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

It looks like one of those beach front type open seating local place. It stops there. The only thing that's safe is bottle beer[wipe before inserting in your mouth" The only reason it stays open is because owner has "influence" in town

Visited October 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
“great atmosphere bar right across from the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I like this place, the atmosphere really makes it..it was a motel now turned into a bar...they got a pool, good prices on beer and liquor and typical fried food for the most part. whenever im in town i make a stop here.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tamarac, Florida
“Shhhhh....Sunday Night's Best Kept Secret!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is where the locals hang out...on Sunday Nights they have a live band that plays all kinds of rock and roll. The lounge opens to the open air area with picnic tables and there is also a seating area inside across from the lounge. The previous owners kept adding on. There is NO dress code here and the reason for the picnic tables is this place is a Bar B Que. We had the ribs...DELISH and a Burger...DELISH!! Inexpensive and this a full liquor bar...they even had "Ginger" vodka as I make my quest to try every different flavor of vodka!!

• Visited August 2012