“Worth the visit...” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 484 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: Continental
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Kissimmee, Florida
“Worth the visit...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My wife and I ate lunch here yesterday on our day trip to St. Augustine. I decided to go here based on other reviews I had read. The biggest draw in my opinion is the history of the cafe. It is in what used to be the largest indoor swimming pool in the world.
As we were waiting to be seated we looked over the menu and was a little shocked by the prices, between $10-$15, which I thought was a little high for lunch. As we were debating on staying we saw some food get delivered to a near by table, and we saw why the prices were what they were. The portions were HUGE!. I've seen dinner portions at some restaurants smaller for more money, so we decided to stay.
I ordered the spinach crepes with chicken and my wife ordered the chicken club sandwich. Neither one of us finished our meal, just too much food. We both enjoyed what we ordered with just a minor complaint about each. Mine could have been a little hotter, in my opinion, but it was cool in the cafe so I think it just lost its heat quickly. My wife's chicken she felt could be seasoned a little more, as it was just on a sandwich with bacon, lettuce and mayo. She said it was ok but just seasoned with salt and pepper. Non-the-less both meals were very good and worth the cost.
So if you are looking for a unique place to eat lunch with cool history and great ambiance, Cafe Alcazar is it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Safety Harbor, Florida, United States
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The restaurant had wonderful food, we really enjoyed our meal there. One of the facinating things is you are actually sitting in what used to be a pool from the late 1800's to the 1930's if I have my dates correct. They have pictures of what it used to look like back in the day, very interesting!

Visited February 2013
St. Augustine, FL
“A Memorable Experience - Something Different To Do!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I think the main attraction of the Lightner is the Alcazar Cafe, which is in a room that once was a huge ornate indoor swimming pool. There's a photo in the Cafe showing what it looked like with water. A pianist plays music while you eat and it's a little proper. Lunches were $11-15.

Visited February 2013
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

An outstanding selection of Mediterranean Cuisine that has something for everyone! Over time I've had everything on the menu. Superb pastas, deserts, everything is freshly seasoned and surprisingly good. The live, soft music (piano or guitar) is so relaxing that this restaurant is a REASON to go to Beautiful, Historic, Saint Augustine Florida. They serve LUNCH ONLY roughly 11:30AM to 3PM call to be sure 904-825-9948. They are located in the Lightner Museum, in an Antiques Mall that will delight you. I go early and leave late, My favorite: the succulent Escargot in garlic butter with toast points and a dark beer. Then, go for a sunset cruise on Schooner Freedom, a 72-foot tallship only three blocks away...talk about a perfect day to get away from it all. This is the life!!!!!! Also I agree with another reviewer that asks for reopening at night and serve dinner. Include dancing, since the space is as big as a grand ballroom. Next stop Travel Channel!!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“The Best Food in Town!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My hubby and I toured St. Augustine last week - we were told about this rather interesting cafe and put it on our list. The Cafe Alcazar is actually located at the bottom of what used to be the world's largest indoor swimming pool. Our table was located at the bottom of a set of steps that the swimmers used to enter the pool. Surrounding the cafe (around the bottom of the pool) are several rather tacky-looking antique shops (more about those later). During our meal, a man played the guitar - it was fabulous. Julie was our server and she could not have been better. We arrived around 11'ish, which was good, because the place filled up quickly and we were able to pick our spot to eat. We had the absolute best bowl of onion soup, followed by the very best BEST BEST meal - Artichokes Giovanni - WOW!!! Now that I am thinking about it - I want to go back!! Normally I don't eat meals that exclude meat, but based on what Julie said, I made an exception. The artichokes were covered with cheese, toasted and then topped with the most delicious pasta with mushrooms and ....mmm can't remember it all - it was enough for lunch AND dinner! After lunch, we toured one of the antique shops and ended up purchasing a set of book ends...they were alligator hands (feet, paws?)...these are our very unique souvenirs from Florida. This was a very memorable experience - special thanks to Julie, our server, and to the man playing the guitar.

• Visited January 2013