“Good Food” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #190 of 444 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Doing business, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Causal Mexican Dining
Fayetteville, Georgia
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Small restaurant at the edge of town. Since it was across the street from our hotel and we were tired and hungry it was our first choice. Glad we went. My carnitas tacos were excellent. Tasty chips and salsa. Service was very, very slow but the food made up for it. Don't be put off by the decor. As customers were coming in it appeared to be a place locals go. That's always a good sign.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Augustine, Florida
“pretty average tex mex style food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

if you like the tex mex style food this place is fine - nothing special just well prepared food, reasonable priced good service and typical mexican atmosphere - and away from the busy downtown

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Good local Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Great recommendation from a local. Really good food at a great price. Very off the beaten path and not the usual tourist trap.

“Local & in love!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I decided to try El Potro after my sister-in-law ranted & raved about how good they were. Boy was she right! The staff is A+, the food is fresh & the flavors are phenomenal. They do a very nice job catering to their vegetarian crowd too - which is definitely a plus for me. AND! Not to mention their 2-for-1 margaritas. YUM!

I live just around the corner & I will continue to frequent this wonderful establishment. Thanks guys :)

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Augustine, Florida
“"Learn how to do your math"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Quite honestly, I use to frequent this place. They have good food and cheap-ish drinks, though the atmosphere leaves much to be desired (dark, dingy, weird decor). However, recently, when I decided to go out for dinner with some of my best girlfriends, I lost my positive view of this establishment.
After two of our checks being completely overcharged, we went up to fix the mistake. I presented mine and explained what was wrong, and after standing there for 5 minutes while they battled it out in Spanish amongst themselves (a habit I find very rude, when talking about my bill and probably about me in general) my bill was corrected.
However, when my friend went to explain the problem with hers, she was accused of trying to get out of paying for a drink (it had been two for one margaritas during the hours we were there and she had gotten two margaritas, for which one should have theoretically have been free, right?).
After a few moments of them, once again, conferring in Spanish with one another (completely oblivious to the fact that my friend understands Spanish) they told her "Well maybe you should learn how to do your math." in an extremely contemptuous tone and accented with a bad look.

That, my friends, is the end of El Potro in my life. You NEVER treat a customer that way, especially one who comes so often and brings friends and relatives to their business.

Maybe they should learn how to do their own math, as - after that incident - El Potro is minus four customers.

• Visited March 2014