“Best sushi in St. Augustine” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Asian fusion
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Crescent City, Florida
“Best sushi in St. Augustine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We usually only patronize the sushi bar as my wife and I both think they do it a bit better than the other two sushi places we tried in town. The fish is fresh and tasty and the rolls do not have too much rice and are cut to be easily eaten with chopsticks.

We have tried the steakhouse side but were not impressed either time. Just average and the wait staff need a little retraining. It is the sushi that gives them a very good. If not for that they would be average.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent food, not so good service ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to eat here with some friends on our night off. The waitress immediately started off with telling us she was just "alright" and explained to us why. We all assumed she was having a tough night as most of us work in restaurants and know that feeling. But her constant personal attitude really upset the meal. She never smiled or perked up once. Once our AMAZING chef Don came out, she was nowhere to be seen. It came to the point where our chef asked us questions because she hadn't answered them and another server Matt (who appeared to be about done with his shift) helped us with drinks as we were all out and our waitress was nowhere to be seen for at least 15 minutes. As a waitress myself, I try to go easier on servers but by this time we were one of the only tables in the entire restaurant. Our server made it so hard to enjoy our meal and on top of that failed to mention the 20% gratuity added on to our bill already (a mere party of 6) which we assume was added because it was reserved as a party of 8. When we went to add a tip the itemized original receipt was taken out and the new one said nothing of added gratuity but rather had empty spots for the tip and total. My boyfriend got upset because he easily could've tipped this mediocre server 40% and wouldn't have known. When he brought it up to the manager, it was blown off. Many people don't look at the itemized receipt but rather the total and accept it. If a gratuity is involved, a disclaimer should be on ever receipt. Our waitress would've received the extra 20% on top of that gratuity if she actually cared about her tables but she didn't. At least not tonight. Hope to see better service the next time we stop by. The scallops and sirloin are excellent.

“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great food. Cabbage was awesome. Ask for Joe! He was great. They charge extra for fried rice though, never heard of JSH doing that

“Best Japanese Steakhouse in St. Augustine ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We tried Yamato's first and weren't that impressed. Mikato's is definitely a way better option! We stopped in Friday night and only had to wait a few minutes. They had a Pomtini on special which was really good! This time, I decided to try their sushi appetizer. I normally don't eat a lot of sushi, but this was really delicious! I especially loved the salmon sushi. For the entree I ordered Filet and Shrimp. You get clear soup and salad with you meal. I like the mayo dressing instead of the ginger for the salad. The chefs at the hibachi grills are always talented and funny. You get a shrimp appetizer with your meal. The meat is always cooked so perfectly! My filet was cooked to my liking. I barely had to chew it! The vegetables and rice are great also. It's definitely a great option for a date night or family outing. I always love to watch kids' faces while the chefs are at work.

Saint Augustine, Florida
“Agreed, Ask for Sam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Or Alex, or Joe, or Misau, or the new guy who's name I didn't catch last time, they're all great! All the chef's are great and they all know us. We're in there a lot, usually once every month or two. If you like peace and quiet, then the grill isn't for you. They set the table on fire with several show tricks while they cook. The chefs are full of jokes and are glad to join you for a round of Sake Bombs. They serve a HUGE amount of food! I usually have trouble walking when I leave.

True, afterwards I usually have some gastric distress, but that's my own fault, as I like my steak REALLY bloody and I tend to eat over 1 lb of fried rice whenever I'm there. It's well worth the occasional after effects. I've never eaten there then though "oh, I shouldn't have" I always think "WORTH IT!" You probably don't want to go swimming after eating here, however, as so much food will cause problems. I usually need a nap after dinner at Mikato.

You can spend $30 for two people if you eat light (and you'll still get a lot of food), or you can spend $100 for filet lobster and a lot of drinks. My wife and I have done both but our average bill for the two of us is usually $40ish. Also has a sushi bar with fairly good sushi, but we always want the grill, so we don't eat the sushi that often. If you like sweet wines but want saki, ask to sample the Pomegranate Saki. I can drink a whole bottle without it ever tasting bad.

• Visited September 2013