“disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Costa Brava at 95 Cordova is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #127 of 444 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: King
Description: Enter 95 Cordova through hand painted gold leaf Moroccan arches into the elegance and allure of 95 Cordova Restaurant. Fine dining with Moroccan/Spanish influence has attracted the most discerning diners from all over the world. We also specialize in fresh seafood and our very own 95 Chop House Menu.
Phila PA
“disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

We were greatly looking forward to our dinner at 95 Cordova on 12/1/06 When we looked at the restaurant that morning we were excited about the prospects for our dinner that evening.
Unfortunatley we were seated in a room right next to the bar area. ALthough there is somewhat of a wall between the two areas, the noise from the bar got louder and louder the longer we were there. The manager came over and asked about out meal, we related our disapointment with the noise level to her, she said she would see if maybe we could be compensated in some way. We never saw her again and they coninued to seat several other couples in the same room. Most of them asked to be moved almost immediately. I wish we would have. While the food was excellent, the bar noise made for a very dissapointing experience. We would have stayed for coffee and dessert but being as though we could hardly hear each other we chose to leave.
My suggestion is when you make your reservation request that you be seated in a quiet room. If you are seated in the room next to the bar area request to be moved before you even sit down

New Port Richey, FL
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

Our BB had made the reservation for us and they notified the restaurant that it was our 1 year anniversary. They took excellent care of us. Most of the meal was amazing. I had ordered the Filet Mignon and it was awesome, my husband ordered the Sirloin and it was a bit on the fatty side. However the ambiance was amazing and very romantic. Our server was very nice and offered me a sample of a recommended wine, which was amazing. We felt that 95 Cordova met and exceeded our expectations. We would definitley go back!

East Orlando, FL
“A big letdown”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

My fiance and I dined at 95 Cordova on a Friday evening. We were seated at the only available table in the back room near some wine racks. My first thought was of Disney's Haunted Mansion...this particular dining area reminded me of that - dimly lit to the point where I couldn't read the menu, huge cobwebs on the light fixture and dust everywhere.

Our server arrived after we were seated and took out drink order. The wine, served on the recommendation of our server was OK, but not stellar. My fiance ordered the ceasar salad which, as the menu described, had a bleu cheese explosion. It was a whole head of romaine literally covered with bleu cheese dressing - a strange ceasar indeed. I ordered the spicy lobster and shrimp broth which was excellent. Large chunks of lobster and shrimp adorned the perfect, slightly spicy broth.

I chose the server's recommended chef-inspired creation of the day..."Red Snapper with Saffron Rice and Asparagus". What I got was a very old 3 oz. piece of snapper (not fresh) over a bed of "cheesey-mac" risotto and grilled endive. Not quite what I ordered or expected. The flavors did not meld, and they even clashed at times. The server laughed it off and seemed distracted. My fiance chose the goat cheese rack of lamb, which she thoroughly enjoyed. She did complain about the portion size being too large, but she did like it. Her lamb was served atop another bed of boxed mushroom risotto. There seemed to be a difference between what the menu says and what you actually get at 95 Cordova.

For dessert I ordered the Tiramisu, which got 5 stars for presentation and two stars for taste. The glass of icewine was excellent though. My fiance did not order any dessert.

Bad dinner experience aside, I went to the Sunday brunch at 95. The brunch was excellent - roast beef, turkey, ham, oysters, shrimp, salmon, sea bass, breakfast fare. The dessert table was divine and the mimosa's were heavenly. I would do the brunch again without hesitation.

I would not return to 95 for dinner. There are too many other choices in St. Augustine. Just like Casa Monica itself, there are good points about 95 Cordova and bad points. In my case the bad outweighed the good.

Smokey Mountains
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

Located in a classy old downtown hotel 95 Cordova has the ambiance, service and food to make for a memorable evening. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed a very relaxed time there. My olive encrusted filet was 8 out of a possible 10 and my wife's fish was a 7. But overall it was worth the effort. We recommend.

Orlando, Florida
“such a dssapointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

I was so looking forward to dining at 95 Cordova after eating there once, not long after their opening. It had been a few years and I had nothing but perfect memories of my first dining experience there.

First, we were sat in an area near the Cobalt Lounge, where the jazz band played so loudly my fiance and I had to literally shout to hear eachother. Definitely getting rid of any romantic ambience we were hoping for.

We ordered a '99 Spanish wine.... it was '02. But it was to loud to question the matter so we ignored it. We were also, not offered the cork, instead it was plopped into the table after the first tasting took place.

After asking twice, we were located to the main dining area, away from the jazz band.

We ordered appetizers, my mussels were good, but nothing spectacular. But the huge let down was my fiance's tuna sashimi. The menu described this item involving sambal oelek marinated cucumber. My fiance is a very big fan of sambal oelek so he didnt hesistate to order it. But alas... there was absolutely no sambal oelek on the dish to speak of... not even a hint of it... nothing. He wouldnt have ordered it if he had know that what the menu said he was going to get... wasnt actually what he was going to get.

You can imagine at this point, after spending the better part of the wine and appetizers in silence, not wanting to have to shout to communicate, and being greeted by a cold reception by the waitress whos section we were relocated to, we decided to order salads, instead of entrees, to shorten our stay. The salads were good, but at that point it really didnt matter. We didnt exist to our new waitress anyway.

All in all it was a massive let down from a restaurant I had such fond memories of, and that I had been looking forward to visiting again. In my next visit to St Augustine I will be seeking another restaurant to fill the space.