“fresh shrimp” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Saint Augustine, Florida
“fresh shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

very nice, small, mom and pop restaurant. fresh seafood, and hush puppies. worth a visit. very pleasant wait staff

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sparks, Nevada
“What no credit cards?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I had been looking forward to dining here from reviews on trip advisor, so was so disappointed when we arrived and they did not take credit cards, but just down the street there was an ATM. In our road trip and every other full service restaurant all took credit cards, even in Costa Rica were I lived for years. The money our party of 4 would have spent would have more than covered their commissions for the night. Another recommended on trip advisor was happy to take our cards.

Visited October 2013
Saint Augustine, Florida
“What a great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We have on many occasions eaten here and this past time was no exception. Usually I have the shrimp, but changed to the oysters. What a great choice this was. My wife had the shrimp as usual and it was perfect as always.

We recently moved to Saint Augustine and I won't say that O'Steens was considered, but it really was discussed. We are more than glad wew moved here and now O'Steens is a reguslar part of our month.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ATLANTA
“Decent shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wow, I finally got the opportunity to try the much touted Osteen's.
I can understand why people are usually lined up at this place. The dining room is very small. By seeing everyone in line it gives you the impression that something "special" is happening here.
On my visit, I was very fortunate that there was no line and I was seated immediately. As far as experiencing something "special," I was disappointed. The shrimp were good, but not what I would call fantastic or awesome.

I started with a cup of the Minorcan Clam Chowder. It was very flavorful and had a nice "kick." For my entree' I had the fried shrimp. The shrimp were a good size, lightly battered, and butterflied. They were very good, but I didn't find them to be spectacular. I've eaten at other East Coast Seafood Restaurants and had shrimp as good if not better. The pink cocktail sauce was a little too mild for my taste. I put some Datil Pepper in it to kick it up a notch and it helped some. For my sides I had the tossed salad and the French Fries. The salad was good. The fries were so so. The server was friendly, but not particular attentive.

In a tourist town like Saint Augustine, it would be helpful for restaurant to accept credit cards. The prices are certainly high enough to warrant the convenience of plastic.

Overall, I enjoyed my meal at Osteen's, but my parting feeling was "been there done that." I'm not sure I would go out of my way to eat there again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Athens, Georgia
“Always our favorite bit of old Florida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Fried shrimp fresh caught and prepared like no other. Shrimp salad is another delight. Small place, super service and super friendly. Go early or mid afternoon to avoid a wait.

Visited October 2013