“They warn you that paella takes some time” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 486 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Family-owned and operated for over 100 years, Columbia has earned acclaim for its old-world charm and award-winning Spanish/Cuban cuisine and wine list. Join us for century-old family recipes like Paella "a la Valenciana," Filet Mignon "Columbia," and fresh seafood specialties. Don’t miss Columbia’s Original “1905” Salad®, prepared tableside with our delicious, freshly-made dressing, a 100-year-old family recipe of fresh garlic, oregano, wine vinegar and Spanish extra virgin olive oil. Be sure to sample a fine Spanish wine like Torres, Montecillo or Campillo. Relax in our courtyard or Mediterranean-style dining rooms, filled with hundreds of hand-painted tiles and Spanish-style fountains. We are a sister to the Columbia in Tampa's Ybor City, founded in 1905. Children's menu available. Open 365-days a year, including all holidays.
Birmingham, Alabama
“They warn you that paella takes some time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My wife and I shared a tapas (artichoke and seafood of some sort), came with some home-made crackers. Very tasty. We also shared an order of their traditional paella valencia. When it came out (they say in menu that it takes 30 minutes) it was certainly enough for two. The paella had a risotto-like consistency, and the seafood was all correctly cooked. The chicken breast chunks in the paella did not really have that much flavor, and my wife thought it a bit dry. The cuban bread was very good also, could have been warm though. The service was pretty good when we were there, the waiter accomodating to our need to get the ticket before we finished the paella. Some people might expect more frequent appearances by their waiter than we got. The surroundings are very nice.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Perdido Key, Florida
“Below Expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The ambiance and atmosphere was romantic and comfortable. The salad was excellent. Service was good.
I ordered a a glass of the restaurant's own Rioja and Delmonico ribeye.
The wine was very tannic and the Delmonico ribeye was overcooked and tough.
After all the hype I was very disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“My Favorite Salad!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I can not pass a Columbia restaurant without indulging in my favorite 1905 salad. Lovely ambiance and no matter what you order you can not go wrong! Never a disappointment.

Visited February 2013
Savannah, Georgia
“Misinformation and lack of wait staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We dropped by the restaurant about 3:30pm to inquire about reservations. Matradee said reservations were not necessary. We came back at 6:15pm, different matraddee, said we MUST have reservations or we would have to wait until at least 8pm. There were 25+ open tables in clear view from the matradee stand. I ask about that. Response was they were very short handed. This was a Tuesday eve. FORGET YOU Columbia. We went to HARRY's which was FABULOUS. And the staff treat you like a customer, not a number. Shame on you Columbia.

• Visited February 2013
guestservices1905, Public Relations Manager at Columbia Restaurant, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We sure made a TERRIBLE first impression on you. I apologize that when you tried to make a reservation, you were not accommodated. We do care about our customers, and we could not stay in business if we made our guests leave and eat at other restaurants! I hope that if you return to St. Augustine, you give us another chance to provide a better experience.
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Wonderful Wedding Reception”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My new wife and I decided to have our wedding reception at the Columbia on 02/23/13 and we could not have been happier . The food was great and the service was second to none . Well worth the price . Everything we ask for was taken care of in a very professional and timely manner. I remembered the Columbia from my childhood days in Ebor City and I was very satisfied .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere