“Totally enjoyable way to see the lights of St Augustine at night, delightful friendly captain, a must do!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jax Water Tours - Sunset Cruises

Jax Water Tours - Sunset Cruises
282 Yacht Club Dr., Dock A-19, Saint Augustine, FL 32084
+1 904-322-7194
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 133 Activities in Saint Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer Sunset B.Y.O.B boat trips Thursday-Sundays for adults age 21 and older.
Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

A lovely way to spend an hour, at night BYOB and enjoy the fun informative commentary. St Augustine is a special place to visit when cruise finished -it is America's oldest city.

Ft L Lauderdale, Florida, USA
15 attraction reviews
“Nice tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We took the "Night of Lights" tour out of St Augustine at 6:30-7:30. I found the captain to be friendly & accommodating He e-mailed us reminder of the trip-directions on where to meet at the pier. And then sent a thank you e-mail. The boat is a small pontoon type boat accommodating 14 people. It was a nice tour. Nice to see the lights in St Augustine from the bay.

Visited November 2012
Jacksonville, FL
“HORRIBLE Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Back in June I purchased a groupon. Prior to purchasing the groupon I called to inquire about whether a baby can go on the boat. We had 4 adults and a baby, so I was instructed to purchase the groupon for 4 and the baby was free. We went on the boat and were met by a very nice Capt. Laurie (I think). We left the dock and within about 15 minutes we were stuck on a sandbar. We remained stuck on the sandbar for over an hour! Capt. Laurie did her best to entertain everyone and keep everyone calm, she called the tow boat, and eventually got us off the sandbar. We spent over half the tour in one spot! She asked if we wanted to extend the tour, but some people had other plans, so we motored a little down the intercoastal, saw some dolphins and then headed back to the dock. She explained that our trip would be refunded or we could reschedule for another trip. Yes, the tour was not as expected, but it was nice that she tried to right her wrong and she was very polite about it all. I know they were a new business and I didn't want to ask for a refund, we would use it eventually! I received a call from Capt. Brooks, explained everything and he also said that we could schedule another trip.

I purchased the trip for my parents and thought I would wait for them to come back in town to schedule again. In the meantime, "Jax Water Tours" moved to St. Augustine. When my parents were scheduled to come back in town, I checked the availability and the trips were all booked. They then added another tour, "Night of Lights". I called the customer service number and is specifically said, "all information is on the website", and there was no ability to leave a message. The website is very poorly organized, prices, times, and descriptions are not readily available. I submitted an inquiry from the website to get more infomration and whether we can use our "credit" from the previouis trip. He replied back with "everything is on the website". Well, if everything was easily found on the website, I wouldn't be asking! The e-mails went back and forth a few times with very short and abrubt answers. It was agreed that I would pay $10 more per person to transfer the eco-tour to the night of lights tour. BUT, then there was another question about the baby. I called and inquired about the baby prior to purchasing the groupon and there were no problems on the initial tour. THEN, my mom purchased another groupon and there was another problem with the baby and it was confirmed that the baby is free, we just had to let him know she was there. NOW, Capt. Brooks is telling us that is incorrect and we need to pay $49 for the baby. The e-mails went back and forth with short rude answers and then he just decided to ignore me and not respond.

Capt. Brooks should NOT be the owner of a business. He does not have the customer service skills to effectively deal with issue's that inevitably come up. If he would have just politely answered that due to the confusion that he would split the difference and the baby would be half price, I would have probably agreed. But instead, he was argumentative. I have been in the customer service business myself for much of my life and no, I don't always believe that the customer is always right, BUT I do believe that you have to be polite, calm, understanding, and compromising. Capt. Brooks has none of those traits.

We have now have 2 bad experiences with Jax Water Tours. They may be the #1 jacksonville tour business, but it must be due to lack of other options. Looking at the reviews, it appears that the good reviews were months ago. Perhaps there has been some changes in their operations recently, because there are many negative reviews in the last month or two.

Visited July 2012
Manhattan Beach, California
“Poor communication and rude!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My daughter saw the groupon, I thought it would be a fun time to get the family together when we got to Florida and go for a boat ride ride! My daughter has a new baby, so I inquired about the price of the baby. Capt. Brooks answered that there was no charge for the baby. I didn't think to ask any more questions than that. We arrived at the boat with our party of 4, plus a baby and Capt. Brooks then proceeded to explain that the maximum of the boat is already met and the baby counts as a person with the Coast Guard, so one person in the party cannot go. It was explained that although the baby is free, she counts as a person, so we had to let him know to ensure there was room. OK, so I am very reasonable and understandable that I would absolutely NOT want to risk fines or licenses, so I understand why someone had to stay at the dock, BUT it was just the "vibe" of the situation. I guess I thought by asking about the baby and the fact that we were buying a groupon for 4 people and the baby is free that that is enough to "inform" Capt. Brooks that there is a baby and make accommodations, but I guess not! Not only was there poor communication, but I am not sure how to explain it, there was "no heart" in his voice and it was obvious that he could care less about the fact that there was a confusion and one person had to stay behind. He took absolutely no blame in the mistake and was just arrogant and matter of fact. I thought perhaps it was just me, but after reading the reviews here, it is clear that I am not the only one that got this impression.

I am all for new businesses and especially "family" business and always wish them the best in a difficult economy, however it is hard to feel sorry for someone that comes across as a jerk! I absolutely would not recommend this trip at all!

Visited October 2012
jaxtours444, Owner at Jax Water Tours - Sunset Cruises, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
I answered your daughters review.... next you will have the baby write a reply!
Orange Park, Florida
“I hope the boat trip is better than the experience scheduling it !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Very poor start to our experience and haven't boarded the boat yet. We are able to manage our way brought life in the computer age but apparently not well enough to get through this system. We showed up at the dock according to the information on our reservation and waited along with 6 other potential passengers, 8 total, for a boat that never appeared. It doesn't seem likely that all 8 adults misunderstood the printed word on our reservations. After people from each waiting party left voice mails I was finally able to make contact with a person. After accusing all of us of failing to read emails effectively the company rep finally promised that "each of you will get a phone call to work through this". Five days later, after again leaving voice mails, we received a return call and though difficult, finally arranged to reschedule our trip. Following his experience I understand the other reviews I see posted on this page mentioning "poorly managed, poor customer service" and I will add "arrogance" to he list. I am very hopeful that I will be able to add a review following our trip that cites the wonderful experience folks have Los mentioned. I promise to offer an honest review of our total experience.

Visited November 2012
jaxtours444, Owner at Jax Water Tours - Sunset Cruises, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
If you checked the SPAM folder after not receiving your conformation (as is says to do) you would have read both e-mails of our new location, directions and departure time.