“Fantastic Little Place!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 483 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: American, Irish, Gastropub, Oyster Bar
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Barley Republic Irish Pub is located in historic downtown St. Augustine and offers great food, drinks and a comfortable atmosphere. This Public House serves up traditional burgers and sandwiches as well as delicious Irish favorites like Shepherd's Pie, Bangers and Mash, and Fish & Chips. We are tucked away from the hustle and bustle of St. George's street at 48 Spanish st. And offer FREE CUSTOMER PARKING as well as indoor and outdoor seating.
Niceville, Florida
“Fantastic Little Place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This weekend was my first time dining at this restaurant. Despite a couple other reviews I have read, I was incredibly happy! The place was packed this past Friday evening. My family and I were only able to get a four-top table outside, but the space-heaters kept us quite cozy. The service was a little on the slower side, yet friendly, and the food was hot at the table. If you are looking for authentic Irish pub cuisine, this is probably more a mix of Americanized-Irish cuisine. However, my medium-cooked burger was cooked to Irish-perfection...red as can be on the inside. The beer selection is huge! I love it! The atmosphere is perfect...more of the Irish pub scene inside, but perfect for family and children outside on the porch.

In my opinion, the worst thing the server can do is start slacking off when you are ready to pay your bill and anxious to get out of there and continue your evening. Service seemed great up until the point where we were waiting for our payment to be processed and to-go-desserts to be brought to us. In order to nail an excellent review, you've really gotta close the deal with finesse....which didn't happen. For this reason, I give them 4-stars.

Visited January 2013

Virginia Beach
“Real Deal Irish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This place is the real deal when it comes to Irish food and beer. Actually they have an extensive draft and bottled beer selection from all over the world that is reason enough to frequent this place. Then there’s the food. Everything is high quality and uniquely prepared. We’ve had the “soon to be famous” Irish egg (which it is), the battered pork sausage on a stick (think corn dog but WAY better), the Barley grilled cheese, the Irish Rueben, the Tuscan ribbon fries (like fresh potato chips), and the onion rings (thinly sliced and lightly battered).

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“Loved it! Very fresh and authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We loved this place. Outstanding beer selection, friendly waitstaff, freshly made delicious food. Will definitely return on our next visit to St. Augustine.

Visited December 2012
Lake Worth, Florida
“Awesome Place, Our New Favorite Stop in SA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is just the best place! Awesome beer selections and great happy hour 4-7 everyday with great specials. Also, Thursday was an even better following happy hour, they have a late night special 3$ Harp and 3$ Guiness after 7pm. Food...AWESOME! Burgers amazing- I say best ever! We ate a full meal there twice, all was great. Appetizers also great...Happy Hour 2$ Beer Battered Bangers-not to be missed. Our waitress Sam was so nice and attentive. The owners are great and are busy working the bar. So nice to see a young couple with such a wonderful establishment. Cant wait to try more of what they have to offer. Barley Republic is definately our 1st stop when we come back to St. Auggie.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Public house? Hardly.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband is English. This means that our experience with pubs, be they Irish or English, is vast. We decided, to start 2013 off right, that we would enjoy a nice Irish breakfast in our charming little town of St. Augustine. It turned out to be one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had.

This is our 4th, and last, time that we will patronize this establishment. Our first time, we went for dinner on a Wednesday night. It was raining and the place was empty. The meal that we had was above average, and the service was friendly.

The last 3 times, the story is much different. We brought friends the 2nd time and were embarassed about how much we raved about it after getting little attention and poor food. The ribbon fries are, in fact, potato chips, and not very good ones at that. For the price, utterly ridiculous. The "car bomb" cupcake (which, by the way, is a massive insult for an Englishmen who grew up with the reality of the IRA in the 80's) was dry and tasteless. Our next trip was dinner on a Thursday night to take advantage of the happy hour specials. Fish and chips. Pretty average, nothing special. The wings...soggy. Absolutely no crisp to them whatsoever. Our service was painfully slow and, as a result, we were unable to truly take full advantage of the reduce priced pints. We sat for approximately 20 minutes with empty glasses, nervously looking at the clock for every minute that slipped by.

Today was our final trip. We arrived at about noon to an empty place. We knew exactly what we wanted as we had specifically come here for it. At 12:20, we finally got the coffees that we had ordered. 20 minutes...for coffee. I could actually brew 2 full pots in that time. Then, when my husband poured his cream in, it curdled. Concerned about the integrity of the cream, I brought this to our waitress's attention. I was told that it wasn't the cream but rather the coffee as it was a Keurig and they had descaled it earlier that morning with vinegar. They said they would run some more water through it and try again. I was floored...a Keurig. It takes approximately 30 seconds to brew a cup of coffee with a Keurig. So why did it take 20 minutes for us to get ours? We got our breakfast shortly after. I've had more Irish/Scottish/English breakfasts than I can count. This was, by far, the saddest thing I have ever seen. Even the full breakfast that we got from a roadside catering van in Scotland was gorgeous in comparison. Two small eggs, corned beef hash "cakes" that we just disgusting, tiny little black and white puddings, decent sausages and bacon, and mushy tomatoes. This pathetic offering cost us $12 apiece. We ate our entire breakfasts, mainly because we were just hungry (and it is pretty amazing what HP will cover) and, 35 minutes after we had walked in the door, we still didn't have our coffees. The waitress finally came out and told us that the coffee still had a lot of vinegar in it and wanted to know if we wanted something else. We ordered tea. 10 minutes later, after finishing our meals and now a full 45 minutes after we had walked in the door, still no drinks. Tea. Not rocket science. Bag. Cup. Hot water. Not sure how this takes 10 minutes, especially when you have customers that have already been put out from the moment they walked in the door. Our bill, without drinks, was $25. The waitress, who was either hungover from the previous night or just didn't care, got $3 for showing up to work today.

It's apparent that Barley Republic has decided to cater more to the tourist trade, therefore only concerned to collect money for the one and only trip that people will make there. As locals, they have lost our repeat business. You're better off walking about 50 feet down the road to the Prince of Wales (see my review for more specific information). Visitor or local, they know how to treat you right.

• Visited January 2013