“Crocodile Crossing fun but needs improvements” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crocodile Crossing (at Alligator Farm)

Crocodile Crossing (at Alligator Farm)
999 Anastasia Blvd, Saint Augustine, FL
904-824-3337
Website
Improve this listing
Jacksonville, Florida
44 attraction reviews
“Crocodile Crossing fun but needs improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

We are a group of kayakers, ages 53-60, 8 women. We have good upper body strength because we kayak once a week, did the long course. Positives: Love the people working there, fun, helpful, follow you around to make sure all is well. Obstacle course is most of this attraction - not a zipline, but is a course of 50 obstacles with 9 short zips. We could all do the course, but you need upper body strength. Negatives: VERY HOT at tree tops, hot air rises, was told most people who quit do so because of heat exhaustion. They have these horrid water faucets hooked to maybe 10 out of 50 trees, some are virtually inaccessible, they squirt out straight so you're drenched, some are covered in ants. A large person couldn't use many of these. We went in 80 degree weather, couldn't have done it if it were hotter, were dripping wet by station #3. Hydration needs to be addressed, this isn't good enough, people will faint. Maybe let people climb down trees when need water? Maybe have better water delivery systems? Second negative - they don't allow cameras and don't take official pictures you can purchase. Are they crazy???? This would be a huge money maker, we would've bought hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, and in fact were very disappointed not to have proof of our adventure. Lastly, they threaten to kick you off if you make 2 mistakes, as in not hooking your safety cables in the right order. Really?? I think for $64 you should get a photo, water, and a bit more leeway in that regard. All but one of us finished and some of us would do it again, but only if the water and photo issues are addressed.

Visited September 2011

St Augustine FL
15 attraction reviews
“St Augustine's best new attraction--I'd do it again and again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

The zip line at the Alligator Farm is great fun and for many of us non-athletes at least moderately challenging. I have done the short course twice now, the first time with my 10-year old grandson and my son and once with my teen-aged niece and nephew.. The third time I did the long course with a group of 8 other women, ages 60-72. It was a great way to celebrate and challenge ourselves. You receive a half hour orientation at the beginning and there are guides all along the way to lend guidance and emotional support. The courses consist of a series of obstacles which test your balance, mind, and for some of us, our courage! The short course has 3 ziplines--these are the fun part. At one point during the course, you have the choice to do only the short course or to continue on for the long one. By continuing on, you have more obstacles, plus more and longer zip lines, but it is not more difficult. During the entire adventure you are clipped onto a safety line attached to a harness which you step into and are attached to for the entire time. So if you do fall, you won't go far. You get a unique view of much of the alligator farm and can look down at the crocs, gators, peacocks, and turtles.

The day my group of friends did the course was very hot and humid, so not all of us felt we wanted to complete the entire run. There are points at which you can exit down a ladder if needed. We all felt a sense of accomplishment and empowerment and our group of "older women" were featured in a front page article in our local paper.
(http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2011-08-01/birthday-party-treetops)

For my 10-yr old grandson, this was his first attempt at challenging himself in this way and he had a great time also, making his dad proud.

Reservations are recommended, as are close-toed shoes. I think long shorts or pants are most comfortable (rather than short shorts). Be sure to eat breakfast before you ascend. One of my group did not and she had to descend due to what appeared to be a low blood sugar reaction.

For a safe, interesting, and fun challenge, I highly recommend the Crocodile Crossing Zip Line!

Visited August 2011