“Too stuffed to type!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Jacksonville, Florida
“Too stuffed to type!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had heard about this place for a while before finally making it in for dinner. They are pretty much word of mouth when it comes to advertising, so I'm spreading the word for them.

The restaurant is set up as on old service station. The place is clean, the staff is friendly and attentive, and the food is great! The burgers and chicken sandwiches are huge. They were in the process of adding outdoor seating at the time of our visit. This will make it even better, being able to enjoy the fresh ocean air as it travels up the Bayfront. We will definitely eat here again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Saint Augustine, Florida
“I wish I could eat here everyday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My family and I have been coming to Gas for a few years now, and I have to say that it is one of the best in St. Augustine.

We visited for my father's birthday on 11/2/2013, and it was just as good as all the other times we've eaten here.

The owner / manager / head waitress, Lindy, leads the service industry in kindness, service and attitude. She takes the time to talk with her customers and bring joy to everyone around her. Her husband, Ben is the Chef / Owner, and makes some AMAZING food. We have NEVER had a bad meal here, or even a mediocre one. The food is always well above average and consistently so.

The menu is unique, as you can order anything from a burger and fries to a vegan patty with special dressing (I haven't had that type of dish myself here, but my family tells me it's amazing). I fully recommend the Jalapeno Popper burger. It's two 4oz. burgers with spicy liquid cheese and Jalapeno injected into the center, then fried and served with several toppings. The burger is so big that I have to take it off the bun and cut it up, and I usually can't finish it. Best part about the Jalapeno Popper burger is that when I heat up the leftovers the next day, it's still just as good!

Gas doesn't serve bread with your dinner. You get deviled eggs instead. There is an amazing appetizer, which we get every time, call the Ruben Rolls. Take an egg roll, and stuff it with a the ingredients for a Ruben instead of the usual. I wish I was good enough cook to recreate these, as I would eat them every day.

The beer and wine menu is divine! You can drink hard cider, IPAs, your typical beers and my wife's favorite - stouts. Yesterday she had one called the Shakula, which was a chocolate stout. Tastes kinda like coffee, but with alcohol and chocolate. They even have a 9.5% beer.

You can expect the bill at Gas to be similar to one if you were to eat at your typical Chili's or Longhorn. You can get a burger for $8. The Jalapeno Popper burger was $12. Typical beers are $5. The three of us on my tab went all out, ordering a regular burger, a Jalapeno Popper burger, and a pretty pricy dish prepared vegan. We also had the Ruben Roll appetizers and each had drinks (two of us had 3 each) as well as desserts, and our bill was around $75 (before tip, that is). I've easily spent more than this at chain restaurants that were certainly not worth the price.

I should also add that they carry some more exotic wines as well. There's one, in particular, that I have not found at another restaurant as of yet. It's called Sanguine De Guida (I may have spelled this wrong) and is a sweet, red wine that is lightly carbonated and served chilled. It's really more of a dessert wine, but it's so crispy and sweet that I could (and have, on occasion) drink it like I was ordering a Pepsi. Oh, they also carry Pepsi products.

They're open for lunch, and tend to be busy year-round. November is a bit of an off-season for this town, but they were packed with people waiting outside at 2PM.

We also had our 8-month old with us. Lindy is EXCELLENT with children, and a real pleasure to be around.

I would HIGHLY recommend Gas Full Service if you're in the mood for this kind of food. If you're driving down US 1 and you're craving a burger, skip the chain restaurants and head over the bridge to Gas. You won't spend a ton, and they don't water down the drinks (like a lot of the chains here do). Gas is well deserving of holding the title of "one of the best" in St. Augustine.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Augustine
“Creative Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Gas has very creative cuisine. New spins on old favorites like meatloaf and burgers. High quality food from apps to entrees. Gas station theme is half hearted and the hard concrete floors add to the bad acoustics but the excellent food is worth having a hard time hearing. Not your average boring restaurant Gas is a "Must-Dine" experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orlando, Florida
“Deliciously Perfect Concept”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

You must not pass gas (not only a true statement but a cleaver play on words at the restaurant). The food is delicious, fresh, homemade and reasonably priced. The atmosphere is cozy. And the drink menu is local and robust. The loaded potato chip appetizer is addictive and so tasty. The jalapeno popper burger is inventive and freaking amazing. (And not to mention giant!). The staff is very friendly and the owners play a big role in the kindness. It was a perfect leisure meal during my last trip to St. Augustine. I cannot wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paducah, Kentucky
“Good Food Fun Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stopped here while traveling and completely enjoyed the Cuban burger special and my wife the grilled cheese with bacon. Another plus was the friendly, informative and overall great service provided by Lindy. We definitely recommend this full service restaurant for an enjoyable fun food experience in St. Augustine Beach!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere