“Dustin is the Bomb with Kids!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 103 activities in Saint Augustine
Type: Surf Camps
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: St. Augustine Surf School wants to show you the joy of surfing. We are professional, CPR certified Surf Coaches. Learn to surf in the nations oldest city. Bring the whole family if you like!
Franklin, IN
“Dustin is the Bomb with Kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Dustin gave my 8 yr old son and my friend's 6 yr old daughter surf lesson's on 10/17/13. I would highly recommend him for children. He was personable and very good with the kids. Dustin had them both surfing in no time.

Visited October 2013

Berkeley, California
“What a great surf school!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

First, surf camp: My daughter did a week of surf camp at St. Augustine Surf School while we were visiting family in Florida and had an incredible time--I really can't say enough good things about this surf school (and if I tried, I would only be repeating what all the other reviewers here have said). But I'll give it a shot anyway: The school is well-organized, the instructor-student ratio is great and I felt like my daughter (who had no prior ocean swimming experience, though she's had swim lessons) was quite safe. An instructor was always near her, which gave me much peace of mind. Dustin, his wife Lauren, and their kids were all a real pleasure to interact with, and I could tell that all the camp instructors were working really well with the students. They provide water for the kids, fruit and other healthy light snacks during break, and there are beach games and supervised splashing around during the moments of down time when the kids aren't actually surfing. The best thing though was that my daughter left each day TOTALLY STOKED to come back in the morning (and even started waking up before the alarm went off because she didn't want to miss a minute of camp).

Second, private lesson: Oli was my instructor, and he did a fantastic job of teaching this completely inexperienced 36 year old how to get up on the board--and *stay* up, even! He was clear, patient, and quite thorough--he very effectively conveyed everything I needed to know to get started, without "overloading" me with stuff I didn't need quite yet. As I accomplished one thing (not falling off the board immediately, for example), he would then give me just a bit more information, then a bit more once I got relatively comfortable with the previous bit. He had a good sense of my individual learning style and pace (better than I did myself, really) and the lesson unfolded in a reassuringly logical and highly enjoyable manner. I was thrilled to have made the progress I did--I'm going back home to Northern California soon and I think doing my very first lesson at St. Augustine Surf School was the perfect introduction to what will hopefully become years of surfing the cold and perilous waves of the California coast...interspersed with visits to the balmy waters of Butler Beach and the awesome people at St. Augustine Surf School, of course!

Visited August 2013
Montgomery, Illinois
“I always wanted to learn to surf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was making a short trip to the area and had always wanted to learn to surf. Rather than rent a board and spend a day in frustration, I decided to try surfing lessons. Dustin worked with my variable schedule and set me up with an instructor. The instructor was able to get me up and riding the waves in no time. She was very patient and interested in my enjoyment. Furthermore, she did her best to educate me beyond the basics, so that next time I'm at the beach, I'll be renting a board and surfing.

Visited July 2013
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Something to remember for a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I signed my younger brother up for surf camp not knowing how he was going to do. He is 13 and sometimes thinks he is to cool to learn new things. After the first day he came home really excited, and despite being in the sun all day wanted to go back to the beach to practice. The final day was a competition and he was so excited and nervous I couldn't help but smile watching him pace the house in anticipation. We watched the entire competition and noticed that all of the kids ( 20 or so) were enthusiastic about surfing. In the hour or so that I watched every single kid caught at least one wave. These kids looked like they ranged from ages 5-15. There were enough instructors to maintain order and keep them safe while allowing them to experiment and practice. The kids were doing tricks and genuinely looked like they were having a blast. I wanted to jump in and join the fun. I would highly recommend doing this camp to anyone even remotely interested in learning to surf. I know my brother will remember this experience for the rest of his life. He lives in Colorado so it's a big deal to brag to his friends that he got to go surfing this summer.

Visited July 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
13 attraction reviews
“Patient and Personal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Whether it was the weather, the strong currents or just this family of five from the Great Plains--- Jennifer was a very patient and thorough teacher. We appreciated the personal service and felt comfortable knowing these instructors also lead a weeklong surf camp for kids. We also learned some general safety tips that will help us in other water based activities.

All five of us were able to get up on our boards, despite the crazy weather and strong waves. It was nice having 2 instructors for our family of five.

Visited June 2013