“Fantastic sushi!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #165 of 483 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: SPY Global Cuisine provides a relaxing setting highlighted by a wide variety of dining options. Our kithchen offers premium steak, chicken and pork dinners as well a special seafood dish featuring lobster, scallops and shrimp. We serve a great Teriyaki Stir Fry and Thai Cocunut Curry dish with options to add meat or shrimp. We are renowned for our fresh Sushi and Sashimi which features a number of "fusion" specialty rolls that appeal not only to Sushi lovers but first time samplers as well. Our courtyard is one of the nicest in St. Augusting and our upstairs seating is perfect for date night.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Fantastic sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Loved this place! We sat outside in the courtyard which had great ambiance. The sushi and sashimi was very fresh, the water was infused with cucumber, and really liked the cucumbertini!! Will def go back!! Calvin was a joy to speak with too!

Manmal12, Owner at Spy Global Cuisine & Lounge, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We very much appreciate the kind words and are so glad you enjoyed your SPY experience. We have shared your review with our staff to encourage all to keep up the great work. It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you again, Calvin

Palm Coast, Florida
“Sorry I went.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I've been to spy three desperate times. The first time was for my one friends birthday. At that time, everything was great--the food and the service. The prices are a bit too high. I was generally happy with everything so the next time I bring a group there. My second experience was less than desired. The overal dinning took over 3 hours in order to get our food. The service was terrible, the food was cold, and many of the items we asked for were either forgotten or wrong. The third time I went( I figured to give it another shot since the first visit was nice and that maybe the restaurant had an off day) was the worst experience I've had at a restaurant. The waitress was aweful! Not only was she not knowledgable about the menu, she argued with the other members of our group. It took her over a half hour to just get our drinks. And was extremely unpleasant,glaring at us and being uncaring about our problems. Most of the food was disgraceful and unworthy of their high price. The sushi we ordered lived up to its name (much kudos to the sushi chef.) however, in my main course there was a very obvious hair sticking out of it. When I pointing it out to the waitress she shook her head and took the wrong plate away. ( my sushi plate in which I ate all the sushi.) other guests at the table complained that their food was overlooked. When the waitress took their food away it took another half hour to replace it. At the time for the bill the waitress explains to me that they comped the sushi and only took 20% off of my main course. Now, I was mad. I asked to see the manager and explained that the sushi was fine that I had no problem paying the $8 for the roll, but that I had a problem paying a still $20 for a meal I hadn't even eaten. Another couple at our table was overcharged for a her vegan meal when the waitrsss and manager said there woukd be no extra charge. Overall, the experience was terrible and the service was aweful. It's really not worth it spend mass amounts for such little quality.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manmal12, Owner at Spy Global Cuisine & Lounge, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
First of all let me personally apologize for the problems that you encountered at SPY. You have every reason to be upset and please trust me when I say, I am equally upset. We strive to provide not only high quality food but also excellent customer service and when either does not occur we take it very seriously and aggressively work to ensure it is addressed in a manner that does not allow it to reoccur. I have met with our entire staff and addressed this from top to bottom and we will do everything in our power to ensure that this is the last review of this nature we receive. Normally I am very pleased to see reviews on Trip Advisor due to the positive feedback we most often receive. In closing, once again my sincere apologies. I understand your reluctance to return but please call me and allow me to host an evening for you and restore your original faith in SPY. Two wrongs don't make a right but two rights can turn you around if you will allow I will make this right. Sincerely, Calvin (904) 819-5637
Jacksonville, Florida
“Food and service were better than most”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Food was good...better than most sushi places. Got calamari for appetizer...the sauce it came with was great. Our waitress was very prompt and kept us updated on when our food was coming out. Then Calvin, one of the owners came over and talked for a little bit which was cool and then told us our food was next to be made. I appreciate restaurants that give you an expectation for your food coming out so you're not just left wondering. ***The upstairs lounge seating is awesome... it felt classy but was also super chill which was cool and different than any other place we've eaten at before.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A sushi lovers wet dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I love sushi and have been to tons of what we thought were great sushi restaurants, until Spy blew all of the others out of the water. The food here is phenomenal! Mind blowing! A life altering experience. We started with the duck egg rolls (a new standard for the word egg roll) and tuna inari (each bite was like a spicy piece of heaven). For our main course, we chose the domino and sky fall rolls. Just when we thought our palates couldn't get more satisfaction, we dug into the most flavor explosive sushi of our lives. Each roll was an orgasmic experience that we never wanted to end. The service was top notch and our server was knowledgeable on the entire food menu as well as the various sakes they have available. We had the pleasure of meeting chef James and the owner Calvin. Both of these gentlemen are down to earth and incredibly gracious. What an incredible place. If you dine in one place in st. Augustine, make it Spy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manmal12, Owner at Spy Global Cuisine & Lounge, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. We strive to make every experience special and it is very gratifying to our staff to hear praise from such knowledgeable customers. We hope to see you again very soon. Thanks again, Calvin
“Excellent service!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend booked a table outside for 830pm on Valentines Day this year. When he realised it was raining he rang again and the host told him if we came at 9 he would have an inside table. On our arrival the host, who was extremely friendly and courteous, had a great table inside upstairs for us. We started with sushi which was excellent and had the fillet steak and Greek shrimp for mains. The steak in particular was one of the best we've had. The main highlight for us was the atmosphere and our brilliant server Josh. He was so friendly, helpful and excellent at his job!! We will definitely be back would recommend this place to everyone!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Just a quick note to thank you for choosing us for your Valentine's day celebration. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again, Calvin