“Very Interesting Tour” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Do you want to participate in a real paranormal investigation at one of the most haunted locations in Florida? Join us on any Friday or Saturday night as we conduct a Ghost Hunt at the authentic Old Jail of St. Augustine, Florida. The Old Jail is listed on the Florida and National Registry of Haunted Places, and has been featured on numerous TV shows, including Ghost Hunters and Paranormal Seekers.Built in 1891, this St. Augustine landmark was once home to the County's most vicious and violent criminals, the worst of whom were hanged at the gallows on the property. Now a museum, guests can come and learn of its past, its infamous residents, and its most famous Sheriff, Joe Perry, all during the comfort of daylight hours. But in the quiet of the night, the most daring of guests can join us on one of our Ghost Hunts inside this haunted building, where paranormal phenomena, from full-bodied apparitions to disembodied voices, have been seen and recorded.
Atlanta, Georgia
16 attraction reviews
“Very Interesting Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is was a very interesting tour. Our tour guide was "Deputy Delila Do-Good. She was very knowledgeable, and extremely funny. She was such a good narrator, that I could almost picture the stories as she told them.

Visited June 2013

Saint Augustine, Florida
“You're in for a Scare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My cousin and I did the Paranormal Investigation in the Old Jail on June 8, 2013.

The tour began at 10:30 pm, and it goes until 1:30 in the morning. I was wondering how they were going to draw it out so long...I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of those ghost hunting shows on television. But wow...what a night!

It was a big group that night; Including us there were nineteen ghost hunters in total. The investigation was led by Brandy and Teena of 2 Ghouls, and we were briefed on the various ghost hunting tools we would be given full use of, and given a history of the Old Jail and some of the more famous men hanged there.

The group was split into two, with one half investigating the downstairs first, and the other doing the upstairs. We were in the group investigating the upstairs cell blocks. Once the investigation started weird things began happening almost immediately.

In the cell blocks my cousin and I, as well as a small huddle of investigators and Brandy, heard a disembodied exhale. Brandy asked the others in our vicinity if any of them had made the sound—no one had. During an EVP recording session everybody's K2 meters went berserk; guests holding dowsing rods watched them cross and uncross wildly -- one man’s dowsing rods kept pointing towards the woman across from him that the spirits seemed to have taken a strong liking to! When the EVP session was done, our group switched with the downstairs. Teena gave an introduction to each cell, and in the very last one, Death Row, as I was standing against the door frame, K2 meter in hand and pressed against the wall, the meter started going off. Teena noticed immediately and commented, “That’s interesting that it’s going off because you’re in a closed space. The spirits are around you.”

While investigating the women's cells my cousin and I heard a muffled scream and both of our meters went completely crazy. The people from the cell next to ours kept asking, “Did you hear that?! Did you hear that?!” Teena came over and was trying to help them channel the spirit that had made contact.

Next we ventured into the infirmary to try and connect with Toby, the spirit of a fourteen-year-old boy who I’ve been told both that he was either the youngest prisoner in the Old Jail, or whose father had been on Death Row. A woman in our group was able to communicate with the young spirit—he seemed to like the fact that she was a mother and answered via dowsing rod that he knew she had two boys and a girl back home. I mentally told Toby that I had been a nanny and he seemed to like that, too—my meter spiked a couple of times.

The last part of the investigation was done in Death Row. One man was asking dowsing rods some questions under the guidance of Teena, but they kept pointing in my direction and my meter was flaring. Finally he commented, “They seem to be drawn to her.”

The investigation ended, both groups met in the jail kitchen for de-briefing. As the guests shared their results—a couple of young girls captured apron strings in the Sheriff’s bedroom swaying on their own, and my cousin's K2 was picking up a lot of activity over the kitchen’s cutting board—a horrible grating noise came from outside. Brandy went to investigate and when she came back she beckoned all of us to follow her. There is a large metal gate out in front of the ticket booth entrance to Old Town. On the bottom of this gate is a metal rod which, when lowered, keeps the gate open and prevents it from swinging back and forth. The gate had moved by itself, with the rod still lowered, causing that awful grating noise. There was no wind that night, and even if there was it WOULD NOT have been strong enough to move that gate. There was also no one else around the lot; even one of the investigation guests who had stepped outside for a smoke break claimed he saw no one and swore it wasn’t him. He’d been in the depot, anyway, far away from the gate.

So...who or what could have done it?

I highly recommend this attraction to everyone, from ghost hunters, to thrill seekers, to the just plain curious. The Old Jail Paranormal Investigation will make a believer out of even the most skeptical individual!

Visited June 2013
Bellevue, Nebraska, United States
“Definitely more "Scientific" than "Touristy". A "must see" for the truly curious who want to learn.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My son Sterling & I (Randy), visited and partook in the Paranormal Investigation on 17 May 2003. As a retired member of the USAF, and an Engineer with a strong electronics, energy, weather, space weather, historical, and teaching background of nearly 30 years, I can honestly say I was not only impressed, but astonished by what we encountered and saw.

Tina, our guide and investigator was not there in the "Tourism Capacity", rather she was there as a teacher. She allowed us to spend over 3 hours in "The Old Jail" and it only felt like minutes had gone by. There was so much activity we could hardly keep up with it. It seemed to center mainly around my 14 yr old son Sterling. They (the entities) seemed strongly attracted to him whenever he was in the room. Watching them interact with him via the Infrared Video Camera's was amazing.

This tour is not for people who want to poke sarcasm or disbelief at something they don't want to believe in, or understand. This is simple science, basic tools, and easy research. It falls under the basic concepts of energy, physics, and how it interacts with our universal plane of existence. It's not a show and tell, or a fake demonstration of what someone might believe ghost or hauntings should be, but rather an open chance to witness something paranormal should it occur.

Don't go in expecting to be scared like the shows on TV or Cable. You'll be truly disappointed. But if you go in with an open mind, to learn and stretch your parameters of reality, then if, or when something does happen, then accept it for what it truly is and be amazed at what you see and hear.

I only suggest that you be respectful of those who still reside there in the old jail. They don't want to feel like attractions in a zoo. Talk to them, not at them. Open you mind to them and let them show you. Then decide only "after you leave" if you want to believe, or doubt.

Thank You Tina for a great time.
Randy and Sterling Bronk
Bellevue, NE

Visited May 2013
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“Experience of a lifetime!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I were traveling to St. Augustine, and I found out about this attraction on Tripadvisor. We had the tour booked for the end of our vacation, and talked all week about how much we were looking forward to spending the night in the Old Jail as Paranormal Investigators. The experience definitely did not disappoint! Brandi and Tina were very gracious and informative hosts. Their intent was to respectfully allow the guests to have encounters with real ghosts, not to intentionally scare or spook you. While upstairs in the general population cells, we experienced a hot bed of paranormal activity. My husband had the temperature gauge which read 84, but I was very cold and kept getting the chill bumps while using the devining rods. Brandi had a spirit box that was expressing very relevant words during our "session". Downstairs in the office, there were visible orbs being seen on a live feed camera...and there's no way it was dust. My husband and I are still talking about how cool of an experience it was 2 days later. Brandi and Tina, if you're reading this, a very gracious thank you from Brian and Laura from North Carolina!

Visited April 2013
Ocala, Florida
15 attraction reviews
“Spooky!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was much better than we anticipated. Went in sceptical, but really enjoyed it and learned alot. Was amazing to see the orbs, and to feel their presence!!

Visited February 2013