“Give it a Try!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   108 Bridge Street, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Brandon, Florida
“Give it a Try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

My girlfriends and I had the BEST time staying at Casa Yallaha. From the initial phone call to make the reservation to the goodbye hug and "see you next time", Charles was the hands down best host that I have ever experienced in my many years of staying at B&B's. In our excitement we arrived Saturday morning much earlier than anticipated to which Charles told us to "come on over" and allowed us to check in early. The smell that greeted us at the front door almost brought me to my knees; lamb stew cooking in the crock pot to which I immediately asked if we were invited for dinner. I have never had lamb and it was delish! My girlfriends and I had such a great time that we determined we would make our Labor Day Weekend trip an annual trip. Thanks Charles for sharing your Casa with us. See you next time!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

After a horrible greyhound bus journey I arrived in St.Augustine at 7am in not the best mood. I walked from the station with my massive backpack which isn't too far and arrived at the casa. Charles greated me at the door and made me some delicious ice tea and allowed me to sit down and relax. Even though it was really early he let me check in and go to my room.
His service was fantastic, I have not come across anything like it since I have been traveling.
Each day I walked into the historic district which begins the next street down from the hostel.
I really enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

My fiancee and I went on a trip to St. Augustine for the fourth of July and stayed at Casa Yallaha. I absolutely loved it. I loved how the house felt like a second home, and how we instantly felt comfortable there. The owner was very friendly and introduced us to the other patrons and showed us around and gave us the history of the house. We had the option of doing the traditional hostel and staying in a room with multiple bunk beds but instead we got one of the private rooms.
There also was a computer for guests to use, vending machines, a pool table, books, television, a collection of movies and games, a kitchen for guest use, and a deck out back.
The hotel is in very close walking distance of St. George street. You turn the corner and there's Flagler college. We didn't use our car the entire time we were there. I never once had an issue while staying there.
Whenever I go back to St. Augustine, there is no doubt I will be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

What a great time we had at Casa Yallaha! Charles was an awesome host and was more than gracious to all of us! He kicked butt in "one-handed" pool and was a great tour guide! He even made sure we had a taxi to and from the concert! We had all the amenities we needed. The rooms & bathrooms were clean and coffee was brewing continuously in the morning! I'll definetely be back to Yallaha and will tell my friends!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Essen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

The other hostel where I was recommended to go was full, so I went to the Casa. The hostelowner Charles showed me around, free telefone, internet, pool-billiard, kicker, vending machine courtyard, you really can't complain. The house didn't have the biggest charme, but all the facilities were a good compensation.
Charles treated me like a friend and he did everything to make my stay convenient. After my arrival he helped me finding out my desired restaurant and called it for me to make sure that they are open. In the morning he offered me his private pancake mix and syrup because I had't brought anything, than he offered me his private bike so that I could go to the ocean. I had the bike for the entire day. That made my stay so much better! Finally he helped me organising my departure by calling the bus company from his own cellphone. This service was really out of range!!!
The neighbourhood is not completely nice, but it's only one street and than you are back in safe downtown.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

First, the positive. The owners are very gracious and do make you feel at home. They have lots of stories to share about St. Augustine and you can tell that they really love their city. As they should. St. Augustine is a lovely historical city that is overflowing with character and characters. I have enjoyed visiting since I was a child.

Now, the negative. The drain in the shower doesn't drain. I asked about it after I came downstairs and was told that all the pipes go to the same drain. That is nothing new...all houses usually have one main pipe coming in with water and one going out with everything else. I am guessing that this one needs to be roto-rooted. Second, there was hair in my room...floor and sheets...and the shared bathroom floor. It just needed to be swept, but wasn't. They do however mop. If you can get past the hair, the floors are freshly mopped.

I had made reservations for 3 nights, but I was packed and out of the house by 7:30am the next morning. I asked for a refund, but was told it wasn't their policy. Their website explains this, but I was the only guest in the house and wasn't causing them to turn away any business. This cut my trip short by 3 precious days. Needless to say I am not too happy about that. They did offer for me to come back and stay free for a night. Probably not going to take them up on it. Lesson learned: I will never stay anywhere that doesn't offer for me to cancel early without penalty. There are more hotels that allow a guest to cancel without penalty than do. My advice, keep looking until you find one.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I very much enjoyed my stay at Casa Yallaha! The staff was professional, the house was clean and the location fabulous. I am a frequent leisure traveler and this is the best value accommodations I have experienced in my journey. And the cats, Zeus and Autumn, are great company! I will return- with friends!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Casa Yallaha Hostel? Share your experiences!