“Do not stay here” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   108 Bridge Street, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Pensacola, Florida
“Do not stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Not a good experience. The manager is pompous, sleeps late, and then takes a long late afternoon nap. He spoke badly about the hostel in Gainesville (where I had stayed the previous couple of nights). A traveler needs to register for their stay online, I did not because I do not have a credit card. This caused all kinds of problems for the manager! He finally took my cash and let me stay, but made me feel like it was a burden for him to be a paying customer. I spent the night killing all kinds of bugs in the women's dorm. There were only two of us in the women's dorm, so the hostel was no where near full. Someone was working with sheetrock during the night, making all kinds of noise. This person then showered leaving the bathroom a total mess with sheetrock everywhere. They have horrible, slow, and inconsistent internet, so don't think that you will be able to do any online searching there except for when you use their computer (which was covered in used napkins and empty water bottles). The people there were not friendly. I left early.
This place is nasty and infested with bugs. The manager makes you feel like you are in the way and he doesn't want your business.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Casa Y, Owner at Casa Yallaha Hostel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We always welcome feedback to gain some perspective about how we are doing. However, this felt more like a hate letter from a neighboring competitor.

As anyone can see from our recent reviews, we keep a very clean establishment. If someone leaves a mess, we try to take care of it in a timely fashion. In fact, the staff is known to be quite diligent in their efforts.

We are a hostel. People are coming and going, opening windows and doors etc. Sometimes bugs get in, however, if we are alerted to it, we take care of any intruders immediately.

We never do any type of major work projects at night. It would be very awkward telling people that quiet time starts at 11 pm and then start making noise ourselves. Even with a historic building that we continuously maintain, that wouldn't make sense.

For our internet connection, we have several WiFi routers around the house. If anyone has a problem connecting, our staff is very tech savvy and can help them get connected. You just need to ask. In addition, we keep a computer in the game room that is always on line.

Once again, because we are a hostel, guests are suppose to put their plastic bottles in the recycle bin and their trash in the garbage when they are done. Occasionally a guest will leave something and walk away. Staff walks through the house periodically looking for such things and takes care of them immediately. Nothing is left for any length of time.

The Manager stays up late on weekend nights to assist guests coming in late after a night on the town. As a result, he has been known to take a nap to catch up on sleep. There's always other staff available to help guests if needed.

Unfortunately, we know we can't please everyone, no matter how hard we try.

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chapin, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Chris was welcoming and knowledgeable. He wanted to know if I was a new or experienced hosteler and I thought that appropriate so he could focus his overview. The property is older but I found it clean and well organized. Proximity to downtown is great and the place is in easy walking distance to everything. I arrived late and left early but it was just what I wanted, clean, quiet and a good sleep. I would return and would recommend it. Oh! And at $40 for the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, price was great.

Room Tip: Book ahead for best options.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Casa Y, Manager at Casa Yallaha Hostel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your review. We try to maintain a clean and comfortable facility for all of our guests, even on the busiest of weekends. I'm glad we were able to provide a comfortable bargain for your holiday.

Christopher Scalf
Manager of Casa Yallaha
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Because I needed to stay in St Augustine for longer time, I spent 5 weeks at casa yallaha. The hostel itself is good and although not everything is brandnew, the owner/manager try to improve the rooms as good as possible. Furthermore, whenever guests have problems, the staff will help out. The prices are ok, but at most hostels you will get better service for the same price.
The reason why I cannot rate it better is the way guests get treated here depending on the mood of the manager. While many days everything is alright, there are other days where you wake up and the manager will yell at you and threatens you to kick you out. Like this they also get rid of unwanted guests. This is very unprofessional und paying guests get treated in an unacceptable way if u dont do like they want. As long this does not change i wont come here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Casa Y, Manager at Casa Yallaha Hostel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Many student pilots come and stay for 4 to 6 weeks in the same large house where other guests are coming in for the weekend. Balancing the experience between long-term guests and short-term guests is very challenging.

All our guests have a reasonable expectation for the comfort and enjoyment of their stay, within the context of a shared living environment. The pilots have always been given leniency, because we truly enjoy having the pilots stay with us. However, sometimes our guests need to be reminded of the rules to guarantee the quality of stay for everyone.

Certain situations do require a stronger reminder than others. While it is regrettable, there are times when a guest must be informed their conduct is unacceptable and, if they continue, they will be asked to leave.

I realize that having to enforce this balance will not always make me popular. However, our only goal is for all our guests to enjoy their stay.

Christopher Scalf
Manager of Casa Yallaha
TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was my first time staying at a hostel and it was a wonderful experience. I had no idea what to expect but it reminded me a lot of a college dormitory in that there are communal bathrooms and you don't know most of the people on your floor. I was most impressed with the security. You have to have a key code to get into the home and then a key code to get into your room. Pretty big house with a large living room, billiards/game room, small dining area, kitchen stocked with general food to use and a nice outside patio area.

The location is great in that it's a medium length walk/short drive to the downtown St. Augustine area. Our room and the bathrooms were very clean. Overall a really good experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlantic ocean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was very impressed by the hostel. First its locations was excellent (all hotels in this location at the time of my visit were 10x the price of a bed here), the property well taken care of. This is a very large old house, with a massive kitchen, common areas, bathrooms, laundry room and dorms. The beds were nice and I slept well. Apparently it is under new management, "Chris" is doing an excellent job, taking the time to explain everything to me from transportation to where to eat and taking very good care of the property. I would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Casa Yallaha for a long weekend trip to St. Augustine. The location is right near the center of town and it's easy to walk to great restaurants, museums, bars, and shopping. We had an issue with our room but the staff was very courteous and helpful in resolving the issue.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is a hostel not a hotel so you get very bare bones. The place is clean and the owners friendly. Since you are sharing space with all who stay here people can be quirky and that's part of the experience. They have larger family/group rooms available that have a double bed and a bunk bed, There are also shared dorm rooms. We had a family of 4 and the room was large and comfortable. This is in a neighborhood so anything that may be going on next door will probably be heard. It is about 4 -5 blocks from the start of downtown St. Augustine. Its not a short walk but it is walk-able.

Room Tip: Family rooms available. Downstairs unit has its own bath.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Yallaha Hostel? Share your experiences!