“Great value for clean and comfortable accommodations” 5 of 5 stars

Bayfront Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Avenida Menendez, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Boston, MA
“Great value for clean and comfortable accommodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

We booked this motel at the last minute to meet up with my in-laws who had stayed here and recommended the Bayfront.

Since we were traveling with our two teenagers, we asked for the 2 queen suite (which is not a real suite, but rather a more spacious room). It was extremely comfortable, and it looked like everything had been recently renovated. The bathroom looked like it was new. Our room had a large window overlooking the bay (over the motel's parking lot) and the back window was overlooking a quiet street. It made the room very bright and cheerful.

Because we drove up after a full day at the Disney parks, we didn't arrive until 2:30am (after being caught in traffic on I-4). I had called to let them know and felt badly because the front desk doesn't appear to be staffed 24/7. The man at the desk politely checked us in.

I noticed that the bathroom only had 2 sets of towels, but I wasn't about to get the poor man out of bed, so I waited until morning. I went down and asked for towels and was told they don't arrive until the cleaning staff comes. I called one more time as we were about to go out, and the woman at the desk said they were coming and then hung up on me (!) In the meantime, my daughter used her (clean) beach towel to take a shower.

The towels had been delivered while we were at breakfast. I was embarrassed to find later that the closet had extra towels in it. I thought the closet door was one of those locked doors because when I pulled it, it was stuck. Apparently, you have to pull hard. Needless to say, we had plenty of towels after that. I’m not sure about the quirky behavior at the front desk, but it didn’t spoil our stay.

We liked the fact that the hotel is very small and therefore, relaxed. We also loved the location which is much quieter than the old village area. We explored the side streets and the waterfront near the hotel and really enjoyed the peaceful environment. Once your car is parked, you can walk everywhere in town.

The motel has a tiny pool which we didn’t use. You can drive to Anastasia State Park, a beautiful beach just a few minutes away. The lighthouse is also a quick drive.

The hotel offers a coffee and prepackaged pastry in the morning – we just went out for breakfast. They are doing some construction work – I think they’re expanding the lobby.

We had a fantastic time in St. Augustine and I would not hesitate to stay here again. It' is excellent value.

Tip: Beware of the bedposts – I managed to walk into mine and got a huge bruise!

Tip: The Lightner Museum was a real gem and we also enjoyed lunch at the Café Alcazar inside the museum. Bring your camera!

Tip: Café Denoel has fantastic French pastries (actually Belgian) – it’s on Charlotte Street, around the corner from the motel. They didn’t open until 11am, so it was an afternoon treat for us.

• Liked — Comfort of room, location and value
  • Disliked — Small pool, inconsistent treatment from front desk
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Jacksonville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

What was supposed to be one of the nicest weekends of our lives started and ended as one of the worst experiences to date with a hotel.
We booked a block of rooms for our wedding party and family to all stay at the Bayfront Inn for the weekend of our wedding. The entire reservation and booking process for our family was a hassle, with mistakes being made on how many and the types of rooms that were being reserved, etc... By the time we arrived the front desk had already lost the reservation information for one of our family members forcing us to make other arrangements for her.

To end the weekend stay on the worst possible note...my mother in law had a room reserved for a family member and she confirmed the information of the guest with front desk staff several times only to have the guests turned away when they attempted to check in because of a mistake at the front desk....The room went empty our guests had to find another hotel on New Years Eve!!! and my mother in laws was charged for the room and the staff has been very nasty and rude with her still refusing to refund the charge.

I do not recommend staying at the Bayfront in to anybody. There are many nicer hotels in St. Augustine to accommodate nice people.

• Disliked — Front Desk Staff Do Not Care About Guests
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

My husband & I like to stay where we can park our car & walk to everything. The room was great. It was very clean & the staff was very nice & helpful. Told my sister about it when we got home & she stayed there 2 weeks later. We are staying there again this year!

Stayed May 2006
Wellsville Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

Was a nice place to stay, clean and house keeping staff was friendly and helpful. A lot of remodling has been done. It is located in the heart of all activities. Don't need to move your car once you get there.My wife and I look forward to staying there next year. We have stayed in other hotels in St. Augustine and this is the best one yet. 204

Stayed October 2007
tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

I've stayed at all different types of hotels through traveling for fun and work. I found this hotel to be very clean, charming, and the perfect location to walk around town. The staff was very accommodating as well. I brought my own linens because I'm a clean freak after reading another review but I didn't even have to use them. In fact, they change the sheets every day (not like most hotels). I know this because I had to sign off on not wanting them changed when I returned from walking around and found housekeeping beginning to change them.

They may have just remodeled some or all of the rooms as well because the walls were freshly painted, fixtures appeared new, and linens appeared new. I would recommend this to friends and family and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Clean and close to everything
  • Disliked — No internet
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2006

My wife and best friend stayed one night and found the room dirty, bathroom dirty, sheets stained, and towels grey and tattered. When commenting to the front desk on the room condition, they were accused of harrassment. At check-out, desk clerk said if they wern't off the property in 20 minutes she would call the police. Pitiful, absolutely pitiful.

• Stayed February 2006
atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2005

We went with my husband and two year old daughter and met my father in law and his girlfriend in St. Augusting for a weekend. We got two rooms next to each other. The rooms were clean and neat. We knew we wanted to sightsee and chose this Inn since we could walk everywhere. And when it was nap time for my daughter, we put her in bed and sat outside the room and watched the traffic, people, boats and horse tours go by. It's a great value and location. We will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Bayfront Inn? Share your experiences!