“Quiet for its prime location” 5 of 5 stars

Bayfront Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Avenida Menendez, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Ranked #31 of 75 hotels in Saint Augustine
Portland OR
“Quiet for its prime location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Bayfront Inn on our first visit to St. Augustine. We definitely liked the location of the Bayfront -- walking distance to the old town, right across from the waterfront, yet a block away from where it gets noisy. We stayed in an upstairs queen room and found it perfectly roomy enough. There was a desk, a small sitting area, an ironing board and a hairdryer too, and the bathroom was small but had a nice tub. I liked the sink on the outside of the bathroom. Everything was very clean. The only thing missing was that the room didn't have a mini-fridge, which would have been nice to store leftovers from eating out. The views from outside our second floor room were quite nice. Our room was quiet, and we thought the decor was better than average for a hotel. Not exactly quaint and romantic like a bed and breakfast, but it was cute and well appointed, and we did enjoy the free chocolates! Although I'd read reviews about the mildewy smell and had worried about that, I didn't smell anything weird, and I have a good nose. Maybe the smell in some rooms is worse than others? There is a free breakfast, but it is pretty plain -- oatmeal, limited selection of bread, apples, yogurt, and orange juice and coffee. I'd suggest that making available some hardboiled eggs, a wider variety of fruit (e.g. oranges, bananas), and some whole wheat bread wouldn't be adding too much yet would make it feel much more satisfying. However, free is a good price, and we enjoyed having our orange juice and coffee on the deck watching the sunrise over the water. We found the front desk staff to be very pleasant and helpful when we asked them questions about where to eat, etc. They let us keep our car parked in their lot for a few hours after we checked out so we didn't have to pay street parking while we finished some sightseeing. I got a AARP rate of $109 for our room, which I think in a tourist town is an excellent value. We were overall quite happy we picked the Bayfront, and unless we'd want to spend much more on a room than on eating and shopping, I think we'd stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd story room for a view.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

It is on the street facing the bay and in walking distance to train/trolley, and just walking to several attractions. But $119 per night was to me a lot for a breakfast of cereal, yogurt, apples, juice, and oatmeal in a crockpot; and a moldy-smelling room with stinky water, a thermostat with a mind of it's own, not enough toilet paper, and a window in the bathroom with a thinnly sprayed half-coating of white paint on it. I could see out the window very well to the hotel next door.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Cleanest hotel room I have ever stayed in. Very friendly and helpful staff. Will make this my only place to stay in St Augustine. Made reservation by phone and staff was very helpful with all my requests.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Wounderful location-loved my room-Staff were great as it was my first time in St. Augustine
I am ready to go again--

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Sanford, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I had phoned before making the reservation to ensure we would have a balcony and a view of the bay. They assured me we would and were welcomed with a view of the stairwell, graffiti and no balcony. The room was clean however, my disappointment at being lied to did not sit well with me given the fact the price was comparable to many other B&B's.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Marietta,Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Perfect and beautiful location. Right on the bay and within walking distance of everything. Very quiet and serene. Enjoyed my glass of wine and morning coffee on the upper deck that overlooked the bay.
Continental breakfast is okay and the room could of smelled a little less mildewey. Overall a perfect stay. We will be back.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

My boyfriend and I went down for a long weekend in St Augustine just to get out of town for the weekend. We found the Bayfront Inn on Trip Advisor and decided to stay. It was well worth a little extra money. The Inn was redone in 2007 so the rooms are updated and beautiful. Our room was adorable with a rod iron bed and everything was extremely clean. If you are a light sleeper this is not the hotel for you. It's very old so the walls are thin. we could hear our neighbors upstairs walking and their conversations. Wasn't that big a deal to us but if you are a light sleeper it could be an issue.
Here's some bullet points that could help you make a decision:
*Clean rooms, recently redone in 2007
*Clean, beautiful pool overlooking the Bay
*Free parking, which is a commodity in St Aug. Parking for free probably saved us $20-40 for the weekend.
*Friendly staff - but they were not helpful in places to eat breakfast (something I think your desk staff should know about)
*Check out time is 11am and it did bother me when the front desk called at 10:55 to our room to be sure we were leaving by 11, we were but I did not like feeling rushed by a phone call
*Great coupons in the map books in the lobby - attraction and restaurant discounts
*Just blocks away from everything in downtown, we didn't use our car all weekend, we could walk everywhere, it was wonderful!
We will stay at the Bayfront everytime we go back to St Augustine...it was a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Bayfront Inn? Share your experiences!