“Excellent for the price!!” 4 of 5 stars

Beacher's Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6970 A1A South, Saint Augustine, FL 32086   |
Ranked #21 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Salem, Arkansas
“Excellent for the price!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

We stayed at Beacher's Lodge September 7th through the 10th, 2010. We searched several places online that had good reviews that were within our price range, but none were directly on the ocean. As I searched the Beacher's Lodge website I found out that they had specials for the 4th floor if you got one that was above the pool area. We got a room with a remarkable view for $93 a night!! Our balcony had a great view of the ocean. The room was clean, we had a queen size bed in the bedroom and a full kitchen and living room. It was perfect for us. The bathroom was a little small, but your on vacation so you shouldn't be spending that much time in the room. The rooms were fully furnished and they cleaned our room, gave us clean towels, and coffee every day. If you are looking for something that is on the ocean without paying an arm and a leg this place is perfect. If you are looking for luxury this place isn't for you. We will definitely be back if in the area again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I've stayed here a couple times now with my grandmother, husband and other family. I've seen a variety of different rooms and all of them have been perfectly adequate and comfortable. We had one problem with ants in the kitchen of one of them, but otherwise, cleanliness was great (aside from the sand that gets everywhere in a beach-side condo).

I love Anastasia Island and St Augustine. My grandparents used to live just down the road at Ocean Gallery for a while. Those condos were more elegant and bigger, but as a holiday rental place, Beacher's Lodge is great. The decor is done individually by each owner, and some have better taste than others, but I think that adds character, and I like that about it. Staff have always been very friendly and helpful when I've been there, and the views, pool and beach are just fantastic.

In general, it's a perfect base for a fun seaside holiday, no real problems and I have fond memories of the area and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Don't be misled by the good reviews (I was). I think the reviews must come from the condominium owners that are trying to attract revenue to rent out their rooms.
When we booked our rooms with Paulette (month prior), we wanted a first floor queen room with pet availabilty. We looked throughout the website and settled on room 133. When we arrived they informed us that they changed our room to #304. We reserved a first floor room and they never informed us with this change. Of course, now, at arrival, they had no 1st floor to offer. We even arrived before our "booked" room was occupied but they would not accommodate us.
My husband likes to go barefoot (especially at a beach location) and I noticed after the first hour that the soles of his feet were black and filthy. The sliding doors were difficult to open and did not lock. The curtains were falling off the curtain rods. The tiled floors definitely need replacement. The kitchen is extremely tiny -- thank goodness we planned to eat out!
We could hardly get in the front door because the entrance with a credenza made it impossible to even open the door fully. The bedspread looks like it it hasn't been cleaned since the 80's. The sheets were so thin you could see through them. The decor needs a complete update. And the killer is: It was $135 per night and a $50 (non refundable pet fee) for our small pet.
At this time, being a holiday weekend, all rooms in the area were booked. We were stuck!
On the last day, we asked if we could have a late check out. (1 hour extension) They told us that would be another $40 fee.
The small pool was shaded by the building all day except for 2 corners. We loved the beach -- probably should have pitched a tent (if they would allow it) -- it would have been cleaner.
Don't be fooled by the website pics. At least, the room they gave us was terrible.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Maitland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I was there two nights and one night was horrible and the other was fantastic, allow me to explain. Our first night we were on the ground floor facing another unit that was being used by some people who were loud and up late. People were coming and going in and out of their unit constantly, knocking on the door and talking loudly while walking up and down the hall til at least 3am. The units are small and the bedrooms are right on the hallway so you can hear anyone talking in the hallway. I slept very little. I asked them to move away from our window and talk somewhere else and they did which helped but the constant knocking and closing of the door kept me up all night.

The next morning I went into the office and asked to be moved. The staff was very accommodating and moved me up to the 4th floor with no extra charge. It was beautiful, great view, no noise except the ocean. The room was even nicer, newer furniture and appliances and just in better shape. If that were my only experience there I'd be rating this with 4's and 5's.

Overall the building is older but it looks like they maintain it well, although it could use some new paint and an overhaul. The ground floor unit was not nearly as nice as the upper floor one. So, if I'd consider going back I would definitely specify that I get a unit on the 4th floor and overlooking the pool as these units didn't have doors facing one another. These units are individually owned so your experience could vary depending on where they put you. If I go back I'd inspect the room before I accepted it to make sure it was up to my standard.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I just read an awful review of the place I almost found it impossible to leave on Monday!!! My experience could not have been better. I found Beacher's Lodge in a St. Augustine guide and after asking about August availability I came up for one of the most pleasant, most relaxing vacations EVER!!! My friend came by to go out for dinner after I arrived last Tuesday and she's pretty "high maintenance." Her first remarks were about how nice the room was and the tile floors (which I loved, my 70-puond dog, not so much!). From the time I checked in (early and very accommodating-in fact everyone I had dealings with on staff could not have been nicer or more helpful) until the time I left I had a blast-no, I didn't sit on the balcony or cook full meals-I can cook at home! The restaurants I did dine at were all fantastic-Wildflower Cafe, Sunset Grille, Le Pavillon, Some were merely ok, but that's the chance you take...Great weekend breakfast buffet at Cafe 11 for $10 and delicious Kona coffee for less than two bucks a large cup! Yoga on the beach Tuesday and Saturday mornings was awesome (and free). I was asleep on the couch every night by 10PM and did not feel threatened or scared at all when I woke at 2:30-3:30 or even 4AM to walk my dog. The area was qute deserted, but it wasn't what I'd call "the hood."

I would go back tomorrow given the chance and will probably return in a few weeks. Very comfortable beds and awesome stay in a great friendly atmosphere. May not be great for those with physical challenges, as there is a lot of walking and stairs. The pool was wonderful and the soaking tub in my room could not have been nicer or better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We were one of four refugees from a nasty rundown hotel a little further north, and were greeted warmly, treated courteously and given a little history about the other place. Our medium sized dog was welcomed, and I feel the $50 per pet per stay fee is fair. Our suite was comfortable for me and my 2 teens. In fact, they LOVED the murphy bed and exclaimed over how soft and inviting it was! Everything was clean and appeared to be updated. There were dvd's available, and two flat screen plasma tv's. We really felt very spoiled by those! The pool was clean and a good size, although we preferred the beach. I loved that they had hoses and showers with which to clean off sand and salt. I have already recommended this place to others who travel with pets, and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

This is not a 5 star fancy lodge but it is old florida and provides all you need to have a wonderful vacation without spending a small fortune. We stayed in a top floor apartment. We had a full kitchen, a master bedroom with a King size bed, two twin pull down beds in the living room and a couch that opened into a full size bed. We had our three grandchildren with us and plenty of room for all to sleep. The kids loved the balcony that overlooked the wonderful beach. We would spend hours at the beach and then come up and cook up something and then spend the evening at the pool. The Lodge is located at Crescent Beach. One of the most beautiful beaches in this area. You are only minutes from the historic town of St. Augustine. This is our second year coming and I know we will come again next year.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Beacher's Lodge? Share your experiences!