“Just what we needed...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 31 Saint Augustine B&B and Inns
Columbia, South Carolina
“Just what we needed...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

A much needed weekend getaway was what we were in search of and we were not disappointed. Making the reservation rather late for a Labor Day weekend I was plesantly surprised in the Green Room. The jacuzzi tub was so welcomed after touring the city. The house is very cozy, is situated in a nice, quiet reighborhood and is easilty within walking distance of historic downtown. We espeicailly enjoyed the relaxing rockers on the front porch. . Breakfast was served in a lay-backed manner and was delicious both mornings. Bonnie sure knows how to cook and somehow I am going to get her biscuit recipe from her. Bonnie and Terry made us feel like family. We look forward to staying here again and would absolutely recommend it to anyone visiting St. Augustine

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just wanted to get away for the weekend and this was the place to do it. After walking around all day downtown we came home to a relaxing room with a swing to sit on, or a claw foot tub to take a bubble bath. We stayed in the Queen Anne room and I have no complaints. Breakfast was delicious and Terry was very sweet. Definitely a good place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was attending a wine tasting event hosted at the Alexander Homestead...From the moment my husband & I walked in to this beautiful Victorian home dating back to the late 19th Century, we felt as if we were visiting old friends for a long anticipated reunion. The beautiful parlor & dining room were a perfect setting for this intimate affair, a public event celebrating the Victorian Era & the historic celebrity, Henry Flagler who brought the Gilded Age to Florida. Those in attendance were tourists & locals alike. Many of the guests were also owners of other B&Bs in the city. We immediately felt as if we were pulled into the fold of the community. Bonnie Alexander (the inn's proprietor) was an amazing delight, friendly & effervescent in every way. Some of the inn's guests popped in to the event for a quick sip of wine, a plate of Hors d'oeuvre or a quick conversation. My husband & I only live 45miles north of St. Augustine, but the Alexander Homestead & Bonnie impressed us so much, we are planning to spend next vacation at what feels like our "home away from home": the Alexander Homestead.

Room Tip: for the B&B intimacy, stay in the main house. for a more private experience, stay in the Hideaw...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I spent two nights here during the week, on a mini-getaway by myself. I stayed in the Alexandria room, which I specifically picked because of the jacuzzi tub, and it did not disappoint! The house has a very cozy feel to it, and it's situated in a nice, quiet neighborhood very close to downtown historic St. Augustine. I felt very safe walking alone to and from downtown, even in the evening coming back from dinner. Bonnie and Terry were both very welcoming and helpful, and I felt like I was staying at a friend's house. Breakfast was wonderful, simple and delicious meals in a very relaxed and unhurried setting. As many other people have said before, the homemade granola is the best. I would love to stay here again sometime, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone visiting St. Augustine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I just got back from staying 3 nights at Alexander Homestead and I have to say that this was a great experience. I have never stayed in a B&B, but many of my friends have told me how awkward they are to stay in due to the sound traveling in the rooms. I did not experience this at all. The room was beautiful, We stayed in the Victoriana, clean and had special touches such as Robes, personal glasses and coffee mugs, bubble bath and of course the essentials like Shampoo, an iron, blow dryer, hand towels, etc.

Upon checking in, Bonnie gave us a map and explained all of the attractions and restaurants as well. It was really helpful.

Aside from that, it was 3 streets from the main downtown and incredibly convenient. We walked everywhere. The house is lovely, and Bonnie is wonderful. We were given coffee by our rooms every morning an hour before breakfast. Breakfast was awesome. Every day I left breakfast feeling satisfied. We had fruit, homemade granola, eggs, hashbrowns, etc. Bonnie definitely goes out of her way to make you feel special as well and listens to an dietary needs/ restrictions you may have. The assistant Terry, was so sweet and lovely. Basically, I fell in love with this place and my boyfriend who tends to be a little pickier had zero complaints.

Thanks for everything!

I would 100% stay here again.

Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a getaway for our Anniversary. We love St. Augustine; it's one of our favorite cities. So we thought why not go there. I am so happy we found the Alexander Homestead Inn. Bonnie is an excellent Inn Keeper, and the other women at her Inn are very good to. All the ladies are wonderful. This location is quiet, peaceful, relaxing, very clean and comfortable and walking distance to everything in the city. It has 5 rooms which I liked too. Some of the other B&Bs are larger in the area, and I decided to go small. It was truly like staying at a room in a friend’s home. I checked on-line quite extensively and this is the place. I saved you the research time. If we plan to stay overnight again at St. Augustine, we will definitely stay her. Breakfast of course was wonderful too!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Alexandria room which was great. It has a Jacuzzi and a semi-private porch. But i...
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Just returned from a 3-night stay at the Alexander. Home is located on a quiet street, and the location was very convenient with a short walk to everything. Stayed in the Queen Anne's room, which was cozy albeit a tad bit warm at night. But that may have been due to the heat outside, and by morning, it had cooled down comfortably. Diane and Terry were great, and the breakfast just seemed to get bigger each morning. Have to second everyone who raved about the homemade granola each morning. Bonnie arrived back from a trip to the West Coast the night before we left, and it was nice to finally meet her and her "smiling" pooch, Candy Lee. Highly recommend this B&B. Thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alexander Homestead? Share your experiences!