“Personifies Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 31 Saint Augustine B&B and Inns
The Villages, Florida
“Personifies Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

It was our first time staying at The Old Powder House Inn – and our hosts Bob & Suzanne, as the new owners, definitely embodies the spirit of hospitality. The beautiful Inn is welcoming with a relaxing atmosphere that makes you feel at home; the mornings you are greeted with Suzanne's and Bob's smiles and her gourmet breakfasts are wonderful and always accompanied by homemade muffins and fruit (Bob, we especially liked the baked pears); homemade cookies entice your munching along with coffee, tea, hot cocoa, wine and sherry available for your enjoyment. The parlor is a great meeting room to sit and chat with the other guests or the hosts. Our room was cozy and comfortable....two great porches to relax and enjoy life going by...free on-premise parking and the Inn is only steps away from everything to explore in the city.
Give this B&B a try - and I think you'll agree it's a great way to spend time in St. Augustine...and you will leave feeling like “family”. Thanks to everyone at The Old Powder House Inn for making our stay comfortable – we truly enjoyed our time at your wonderful B&B and our evening chats - it was a wonderful three days!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We spend 4 days/nights at The Old Opwder House Inn and it was awesome. Our hosts Bob and Suzzanne we just wonderful., they were very accomodating, the breakfasts were unbelievable, it was decorated so beautifully for Christmas, our room was immaculate. We can't say enough nice things about this B & B. We are definitely coming back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Tybee Island, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

If you want to experience the most relaxed, welcoming and lovely place to stay in St. Augustine, it is the Old Powder House Inn. Located right in the historic district, the charming Inn is within walking distance of all the wonderful sights of the old city--yet it is not smack in the thick of it. So, It's a restful, beautiful historic Inn that has inviting porches--upstairs and downstairs-- that yield hours of curling up with a good book, lazy afternoons on the porch swing or lively conversations with new found friends. Suzanne and Bob Hailey are the most perfect Bed & Breakfast hosts I've ever had the privilege of meeting. If you want to chill and not "be all up in it," fine! If you want to chat and mix and mingle with them and/or their most interesting guests (from all over the country and the world), great! And the food! Suzanne is a fabulous chef from Nashville (and being a Chicago native most certainly adds and extra flair). Both Suzanne and Bob have worked for years in the TV and Music Industry and have lived most interesting lives. Their many Nashville friends at Country Music Television can vouch for what an entertaining and fun couple they are. And no CMT party would have ever been complete without one of Suzanne's much-anticipated culinary sensations. St. Augustine is an awesome city to explore. And having Bob and Suzanne Hailey as the new proprietors of such a cool Inn, there's even more reason to visit this enchanting city and stay at the most perfect Inn- The Old Powder House. .

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden Room which is perfect for up to 4 people, so it's a good value. There ar...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Tybee Island, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Old Powder House Inn is the perfect place to stay in Saint Augustine. The inn, which is actually a bed and breakfast, is located within walking distance of most of the sites and attractions. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is excellent. I didn't see any ghosts (Saint Augustine is, purportedly, one of the most haunted cities in the country) but the ghosts at the inn are, according to many accounts, just some little girls who play with dolls. I probably scared the hell out of them.

Room Tip: I was in the Garden Room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

"Mischievous" Suzanne and Bob are new owners to this quaint, semi-"enchanted" house by only a couple months. There are some things that need fixing in the house and they are on it - I'm sure in the near future this Old Powder House Inn will be a stellar B&B. I write this hesitatingly, because I was so positively influenced and warmed by both Bob and Suzanne, it really made the experience for me, and I strongly recommend staying with them for that reason. Both were willing to be flexible and friendly. Bob was outstanding at having discussions while multi-tasking at serving the breakfast to the small breakfast room, packed with people that ended up being a great, open conversation jointly across all the tables. Both took time in really getting to know us and be interested in who we were - it's not something you commonly experience and left an amazing impact on us; we left feeling that we'd made new friends in Bob and Suzanne.

Pros: Nice veranda on the 2nd floor with comfortable chairs and a swinging chair for two; perfect and easy location to everything; tastefully decorated with authentic victorian artifacts; pleasing color scheme; concern about the little details to the stay; flexible, warm and patient owners; nice room (Veranda3); the hosts (see below).

Cons: Some rooms are not up to the standard (The Enchanted Room) - too small, contained, miniature bathroom, overly strong scent; the breakfast was very good, but a little limited (had to get a 2nd breakfast). Pricing for any of the decent rooms is a bit high, but the experience could be worth it once everything is set up. The person who works for Bob and Suzanne that greeted us and checked us in was not as pleasant and warm as Suzanne and Bob - too rigid and strict to set the tone for what is supposed to be a "home"-like experience - but that's a minor point.

All of the cons can be addressed and doesn't overwhelm the positives of our stay. I highly recommend staying with Bob and Suzanne and wouldn't hesitate to do so myself when I visit again.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Veranda rooms are likely the best...and best value.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Fleming Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

First off let me say this was my very first bed and breakfast experience! That being said I found Bob and Suzanne just wonderful and inviting people. They made us feel very welcome and showed us to our room which led directly on the veranda. Suzanne out did herself on both days of our fine breakfast, however the eggs cordova were my favorite!!. I couldnt have asked for a better place to stay and the hospitality of the owners were beyond what I had expected. I recommend this to anyone wanting to have a relaxing time and the convience of the walk to beautiful St Augustine! Thank you Bob and Suzanne!

S. Johnson

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had never stayed at a bed & breakfast before now and this place was amazing! The staff was warm & friendly and took good of us while there.
It was located in easy walk to everything, I had a very relaxing, much needed getaway which felt very cozy & homey. The inn is decorated very nicely and has a very nice ambiance and has everything you need while away from home. The hosts were very welcoming and friendly making you feel special and at home here. I stayed in Serenity and loved having my coffee the next morning on the lovely covered veranda. Was a great way to begin my adventure exploring St.Augustines downtown area. There's even a porch swing on verenda which brought back my own childhood memories at grandmas house. It was awesome and I definitely will be back for another getaway in the near future. What a great experience..and I didnt want to leave such a relaxing place and get back to my work reality! I can't wait to go visit again!
Suzanne and Bob provided us with wonderful breakfasts that was out of this world but yet healthy.
Overall I would recommend this place to anyone that wants a great place to stay!
Excellent choice!

Room Tip: Serenity is on veranda upstairs and on covered porch which is nice place to sit and relax especially...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Old Powder House Inn? Share your experiences!