“Perfect In Every Way.” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Freebies!
“Perfect In Every Way.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I have been traveling to St. Augustine for several years and have always enjoyed soaking up local culture as well as forming new relationships, one way we have found to do this is by staying at Bed & Breakfast and we have stayed at many across the country, I must say that our experience at Carriage Way was one of the best ever, from the moment we walked through the front door and were greeted by Matthew to our exceptionally clean, well appointed guest room, including two lovely robes, a lovely double head shower, and one of the most comfortable beds we have had the pleasure of sleeping on. Breakfast was personally served by the owner of the B&B who made you feel special in her wonderful engaging way.The location is in walking distance to a everything, and even has it's own parking for guest, which is not the case for most B&B in St. Augustine. I will definitely recommend this Lovely recently refurbished Victorian B&B to all my friends and family. And will look forward to returning in the near future. Thank you Michele for making our stay a very special one .

Room Tip: explain your preferences when you make your reservation, the Owner Michaele, and her staff go out of...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
oldcityexpert, Owner at Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
What a lovely review of what B&Bs are all about! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to think of us and share the good news about Carriage Way!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

After looking at numerous hotel and b&b options, we decided to stay at Carriage Way. Email correspondence with Michaele was prompt and efficient. It is clear she enjoys what she does and that became even more evident during our stay.

First, the location cannot be beat. Only several short blocks from the waterfront and the historical district, this b&b is steps away from everything. Great restaurants abound -- all in easy walking distance. It is also a 3 minute walk from the trolley stop on Orange Street, making getting around even easier.

We booked the cottage as it suited our needs the best. It is a one storey separate house 3 doors down from the main inn on Cuna Street, making it even quieter than the main inn itself that also fronts on Cordova Street. While there is construction on the corner, we didn't hear anything in the cottage.

The cottage is nicely laid out with the main entrance opening into a large living room/dining room. There is a 1/2 ktichen to the right that is equipped with microwave, sink, fridge/freezer, coffee maker. Through there is the Ashton bedroom, with a queen bed and french doors to a small outside patio. The bathroom has a large clawfoot tub -- perfect for soaking after a long day's sightseeing, but wresting with the shower curtain for a shower was a bit challenging! Still, lots of hot water and good pressure. I did find the Ashton, though comfortable, was a bit oddly laid out that left the room feeling a bit cluttered and might be a challenge for 2 people, but it was perfect for one. Perhaps if the bed was put flat against the wall and some of the unneeded furniture was taken out, the room would be wonderfully more spacious.

Going to the left from the living room is the Miranda room, a lovely big king bed and huge room, also with its own bathroom and a jaccuzi in the corner of the room. Again, this is a comfortable bed, and luxurious for just one person, but for two, it would be great to have a second nightstand and bedside light on the other side of the bed. Blissfully quiet and with dark curtains, it made for restful nights.

Though we rented the place as a unit, I see the rooms are rented separately. This might be awkward for some, as you are sharing a lot of common space -- kitchen, living room and main entrance. But for us, or a group, it is the perfect sanctuary right in the heart of St. Augustine.

Parking was easy -- there is space for 2 cars off-street in a small driveway next to the cottage.

Despite being in the cottage, all the inn's amenities were available to us -- including the fabulous morning breakfasts. Each morning was lots of fresh coffee/tea/juice with a hot breakfast -- the creme brulee french toast recipe came home with me! My only criticism of the breakfast would be that for 3 days in a row, sausages was the meat served. I would have liked an option of maybe ham or bacon, but that was small in the grand scheme of things, as it was delicious all the same.

Michaele and Matthew are wonderful hosts. Michaele knows the area and is great about making suggestions and even reservations for dinner, places to go and see, events, tickets or anything else you may have in mind. Though I'm not usually a big fan of b&bs, preferring the anonymity of a larger hotel, this worked very well. Michaele was not at all intrusive, yet seemed to sense our needs and interests.

I look forward to returning to St. Augustine someday and would choose Carriage Way again.

PS, For those looking for a nice after-dinner drink or even dinner, just a few steps away on Spanish Street (left out from the inn, then right on Spanish) is the Barley Republic Pub with some great ales, lager and cider on tap. The music changed nightly, but was a great friendly (if not a bit noisy at times) place to finish up the day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
oldcityexpert, Owner at Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
We appreciate your very informative review. Funny you should mention the Ashton room, only last week it was completely spaciously rearranged with a lovely 4 poster bed. As I've only had the inn 6 months, I will continue tweaking things to make for a fantastic stay. We alternate sausage patties, bacon and sausage links with our breakfast. Different couples renting out the cottage have made lifelong friends while staying there even though they did not know each other prior to their arrival. We are so pleased that you enjoyed all of our concierge services. Carriage Way does indeed have a fantastic location! We wish you the best of journeys and hope to host you in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review.
Fleming Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a great extended weekend at Carriage Way B&B in St Augustine. The B&B is in a beautifully maintained Victorian home right in the hub of the historic district. Our room was decorated in the Victorian theme and had a very comfortable bed which was so welcome after our self-guided historic walking tour. The breakfasts were imaginative and delicious. The on-site parking is a great plus, as parking can be at a premium in St. Augustine on holiday and special event weekends (like our visit on Celtic Festival weekend). Innkeepers MIchaela and Julio and their Assistant Innkeeper, Matthew, are all very welcoming, helpful with local information, restaurant recommendations and they work hard to make your visit enjoyable. We look forward to future visits to Carriage Way for our weekend getaways.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
oldcityexpert, Owner at Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
We thoroughly enjoyed hosting you during the Celtic Festival. A highlight was watching the Celtic Parade march down Cordova Street while we had premium viewing with you on the inn 2nd floor veranda! We are thrilled your enjoyed yourselves and truly look forward to many happy returns. We are grateful that you took the time to write such a fantastic review!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Close to everything and free off street parking. The owner served delicious breakfasts and home baked cookies and wine in the afternoon. She was friendless and made tour and dinner reservations for us. Beds were wonderful

Room Tip: Only one room with two beds
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
oldcityexpert, Owner at Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
You two ladies are the epitome of why innkeepers love their job. Thank you for your great sense of humor and wonderful appreciation for our concierge services. We really appreciate your review!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Picked this hotel for its location and because it had a room with two double beds perfect for a weekend away with a friend. Hotels in the area were comparable in price, but had things like a full bath and other amenities. Since my friend is battling cancer and tires easily decided to spent more due to the location and B&B's tend to be nicer. Since it was both our BD's, called before we came to inquire if I could put decorations a common area and explained her situation and was told it was OK in our room, but the inn was geared toward "romantic getaways." As someone who worked and managed tourist businesses for over a decade I was a bit surprised by this response but let it go. Got to the hotel and they accommodated us arriving an hour early. Found the room very clean, but small and bathroom was tiny. There was noisy construction across the street. Also, the street was very busy which was to be expected in the historic district I guess but it it made the area loud. My friend and I were disappointed and I decided to address my concerns and said I might want to look into another place and was told that was fine but probably wouldn't find one for the second night because it was the weekend. Also told that there were pictures on-line of the room, but I pointed out that pictures which I looked at on-line were there but hard to tell size by the picture and no mention of the construction. Decided to stay mainly because I didn't want to drag my friend around looking for a new place to stay. Upon checking in and putting stuff away discovered there was not a second robe and inquired about this and was told it was in the dryer and would be ready later. Next morning I was woken up around 7:15 by sawing and hammering noise from the construction site across the street. Despite the noise, we choose to eat on the front porch since the weather was nice and the staff gave us both flowers and took our picture. Due to her restrictive diet they did make her a special request so I thought they really made the effort and should be commended for this. That night I was walking from the dining room to our room on the first floor in my pajamas (because that second robe never arrived) when a strange man was tapping on the glass front door and attempting to come in. I was startled to say the least. He asked me about any rooms that were available. There was a sign outside, but not on the door. The staff member who checked us in said he left at 6 pm so I wasn't even sure if there was any staff on duty at night and being near the door on a busy street made me a little apprehensive all night. We both have traveled a lot in first rate, and some not so first rate, hotels and decided to share with the innkeeper our concerns especially since the room was nearlly $250 a night. Explained all this to him outside out of the earshot from his guests plus the little things that make a difference...a pull cord for fan instead of standing on the bed, more accessible outlets (we had to take turn plugging our phones into the bathroom outlet, the flat screen TV on the wall instead of a too high dresser and the fact I thought the room without a full bath or no bath should be less. His response was that he was sorry that we were disappointed and said we had they known they would they would have corrected some of this. He also explained the improvements they are implementing which I appaude them for doing. Was a bit surprised that he did not offer anything to us... like taking off $50 or something and honestly when you are paying that much a night I should not have to ask for something like a robe twice. Pros are location, food, parking, and the bikes and they had nice touches like sherry in the room and the staff was nice, but it's the little things that make a great B@B. Last B@B I stayed at was top notch and a better price. Waited a full week before writing this hoping for an e-mail but nothing came. Always taught my employees that customer service is "going beyond a customer's expectation" and on this weekend it did not meet our expectation.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs away from the noise. Ask for square footage.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you taking the time to submit your lengthy review. We are sorry that you were disappointed. We strive to give all our guests the absolute best possible experience while staying at Carriage Way and our amazing ancient city of St. Augustine. This is evidenced by our glowing reviews as new owners over the past six months. When you expressed that the room was not to your satisfaction the offer to find other accommodations elsewhere was genuinely made, but you declined. Your traveling companion was directly handed the second robe by our inn manager on check-in day as soon as it was freshly laundered. Perhaps she did not mention it, or it was misplaced in the room. Although the room does have an electric switch next to the guest room door to operate the ceiling fan, we have installed a longer pull chain for those guests that choose to use it. For greater guest ease of use, we have converted a duplex wall outlet into a six-plex. For 26 years as a B&B, the inn has never had TVs in the guest rooms. We are proud that upon our purchase a mere 6 months ago, we installed brand new flat screen TVs in each guest room. Many of the TVs are already mounted with additional mounts all-ready to go for each room. Your room has such a high occupancy that we have been unable to get it properly mounted just yet. Carriage Way is very fortunate to be only one of two B&Bs in St. Augustine offering a room with two queen beds as well as a practical full bath including sink, toilet and shower plus shelves. Our room is very reasonably priced as the other B&B that has two queen beds has a nightly rate $100.00 higher (not including taxes) than our rate. It is wonderful that we were able to immediately accommodate your traveling companion’s dietary restrictions although they or the battle with cancer were not listed on your online reservation. We are so glad you enjoyed the birthday flowers that we surprised both of you with. Despite some of your concerns, we were happy that you enjoyed your stay enough to have a staff member take a parting picture of the two of you on our lovely inn veranda.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I feel we made a very good choice when we booked to stay at The Carriage Way Bed & Breakfast as part of our holiday in Florida, having escaped the UK winter. We liked the informality of a B&B combined with excellent service and a very comfortable room. Another bonus was the private parking. With Michaele's help we were able to make the most of our time in St Augustine and see as many of the sights as possible. We enjoyed a pre-dinner drink on the verandah, not something we would be likely to do in the UK in February! Breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
oldcityexpert, Owner at Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
You are welcome back anytime to warm up on the veranda in the winter. Thank you for recognizing and complimenting our customer service. Our hospitality is heartfelt and what makes guests keep coming back. We are grateful for your review!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was our first Bed and Breakfast, and couldn't be more pleased with the Carriage Way Inn. Upon arrival, we were graciously greeted by Michaele, the owner, who provided us with her top restaurants and attractions. Our room was clean, cozy, and beautifully decorated. The location of the Carriage Way Inn is ideally suited for walking to the finer restaurants, bars, and city attractions. In the morning, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast including quiche, monkey bread, bacon, and fresh cut fruit. We recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone that plans on staying in St. Augustine!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
From the second I received your email inquiries, I knew you would be such a joy to host. I wish you both the absolute best in your studies and career. I truly appreciate the great review you posted!

Been to Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!