“A perfect choice for our St. Augustine visit” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
FREEBIES!
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fleming Island, Florida
“A perfect choice for our St. Augustine visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a great extended weekend at Carriage Way B&B in St Augustine. The B&B is in a beautifully maintained Victorian home right in the hub of the historic district. Our room was decorated in the Victorian theme and had a very comfortable bed which was so welcome after our self-guided historic walking tour. The breakfasts were imaginative and delicious. The on-site parking is a great plus, as parking can be at a premium in St. Augustine on holiday and special event weekends (like our visit on Celtic Festival weekend). Innkeepers MIchaela and Julio and their Assistant Innkeeper, Matthew, are all very welcoming, helpful with local information, restaurant recommendations and they work hard to make your visit enjoyable. We look forward to future visits to Carriage Way for our weekend getaways.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
oldcityexpert, Owner at Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
We thoroughly enjoyed hosting you during the Celtic Festival. A highlight was watching the Celtic Parade march down Cordova Street while we had premium viewing with you on the inn 2nd floor veranda! We are thrilled your enjoyed yourselves and truly look forward to many happy returns. We are grateful that you took the time to write such a fantastic review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Close to everything and free off street parking. The owner served delicious breakfasts and home baked cookies and wine in the afternoon. She was friendless and made tour and dinner reservations for us. Beds were wonderful

Room Tip: Only one room with two beds
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
oldcityexpert, Owner at Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
You two ladies are the epitome of why innkeepers love their job. Thank you for your great sense of humor and wonderful appreciation for our concierge services. We really appreciate your review!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Picked this hotel for its location and because it had a room with two double beds perfect for a weekend away with a friend. Hotels in the area were comparable in price, but had things like a full bath and other amenities. Since my friend is battling cancer and tires easily decided to spent more due to the location and B&B's tend to be nicer. Since it was both our BD's, called before we came to inquire if I could put decorations a common area and explained her situation and was told it was OK in our room, but the inn was geared toward "romantic getaways." As someone who worked and managed tourist businesses for over a decade I was a bit surprised by this response but let it go. Got to the hotel and they accommodated us arriving an hour early. Found the room very clean, but small and bathroom was tiny. There was noisy construction across the street. Also, the street was very busy which was to be expected in the historic district I guess but it it made the area loud. My friend and I were disappointed and I decided to address my concerns and said I might want to look into another place and was told that was fine but probably wouldn't find one for the second night because it was the weekend. Also told that there were pictures on-line of the room, but I pointed out that pictures which I looked at on-line were there but hard to tell size by the picture and no mention of the construction. Decided to stay mainly because I didn't want to drag my friend around looking for a new place to stay. Upon checking in and putting stuff away discovered there was not a second robe and inquired about this and was told it was in the dryer and would be ready later. Next morning I was woken up around 7:15 by sawing and hammering noise from the construction site across the street. Despite the noise, we choose to eat on the front porch since the weather was nice and the staff gave us both flowers and took our picture. Due to her restrictive diet they did make her a special request so I thought they really made the effort and should be commended for this. That night I was walking from the dining room to our room on the first floor in my pajamas (because that second robe never arrived) when a strange man was tapping on the glass front door and attempting to come in. I was startled to say the least. He asked me about any rooms that were available. There was a sign outside, but not on the door. The staff member who checked us in said he left at 6 pm so I wasn't even sure if there was any staff on duty at night and being near the door on a busy street made me a little apprehensive all night. We both have traveled a lot in first rate, and some not so first rate, hotels and decided to share with the innkeeper our concerns especially since the room was nearlly $250 a night. Explained all this to him outside out of the earshot from his guests plus the little things that make a difference...a pull cord for fan instead of standing on the bed, more accessible outlets (we had to take turn plugging our phones into the bathroom outlet, the flat screen TV on the wall instead of a too high dresser and the fact I thought the room without a full bath or no bath should be less. His response was that he was sorry that we were disappointed and said we had they known they would they would have corrected some of this. He also explained the improvements they are implementing which I appaude them for doing. Was a bit surprised that he did not offer anything to us... like taking off $50 or something and honestly when you are paying that much a night I should not have to ask for something like a robe twice. Pros are location, food, parking, and the bikes and they had nice touches like sherry in the room and the staff was nice, but it's the little things that make a great B@B. Last B@B I stayed at was top notch and a better price. Waited a full week before writing this hoping for an e-mail but nothing came. Always taught my employees that customer service is "going beyond a customer's expectation" and on this weekend it did not meet our expectation.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs away from the noise. Ask for square footage.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you taking the time to submit your lengthy review. We are sorry that you were disappointed. We strive to give all our guests the absolute best possible experience while staying at Carriage Way and our amazing ancient city of St. Augustine. This is evidenced by our glowing reviews as new owners over the past six months. When you expressed that the room was not to your satisfaction the offer to find other accommodations elsewhere was genuinely made, but you declined. Your traveling companion was directly handed the second robe by our inn manager on check-in day as soon as it was freshly laundered. Perhaps she did not mention it, or it was misplaced in the room. Although the room does have an electric switch next to the guest room door to operate the ceiling fan, we have installed a longer pull chain for those guests that choose to use it. For greater guest ease of use, we have converted a duplex wall outlet into a six-plex. For 26 years as a B&B, the inn has never had TVs in the guest rooms. We are proud that upon our purchase a mere 6 months ago, we installed brand new flat screen TVs in each guest room. Many of the TVs are already mounted with additional mounts all-ready to go for each room. Your room has such a high occupancy that we have been unable to get it properly mounted just yet. Carriage Way is very fortunate to be only one of two B&Bs in St. Augustine offering a room with two queen beds as well as a practical full bath including sink, toilet and shower plus shelves. Our room is very reasonably priced as the other B&B that has two queen beds has a nightly rate $100.00 higher (not including taxes) than our rate. It is wonderful that we were able to immediately accommodate your traveling companion’s dietary restrictions although they or the battle with cancer were not listed on your online reservation. We are so glad you enjoyed the birthday flowers that we surprised both of you with. Despite some of your concerns, we were happy that you enjoyed your stay enough to have a staff member take a parting picture of the two of you on our lovely inn veranda.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I feel we made a very good choice when we booked to stay at The Carriage Way Bed & Breakfast as part of our holiday in Florida, having escaped the UK winter. We liked the informality of a B&B combined with excellent service and a very comfortable room. Another bonus was the private parking. With Michaele's help we were able to make the most of our time in St Augustine and see as many of the sights as possible. We enjoyed a pre-dinner drink on the verandah, not something we would be likely to do in the UK in February! Breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
oldcityexpert, Owner at Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
You are welcome back anytime to warm up on the veranda in the winter. Thank you for recognizing and complimenting our customer service. Our hospitality is heartfelt and what makes guests keep coming back. We are grateful for your review!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was our first Bed and Breakfast, and couldn't be more pleased with the Carriage Way Inn. Upon arrival, we were graciously greeted by Michaele, the owner, who provided us with her top restaurants and attractions. Our room was clean, cozy, and beautifully decorated. The location of the Carriage Way Inn is ideally suited for walking to the finer restaurants, bars, and city attractions. In the morning, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast including quiche, monkey bread, bacon, and fresh cut fruit. We recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone that plans on staying in St. Augustine!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
From the second I received your email inquiries, I knew you would be such a joy to host. I wish you both the absolute best in your studies and career. I truly appreciate the great review you posted!
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

It was our first BB and it was absolutely more then what we expected! The service was fantastic and the rooms with gorgeous and it was in a great location of the city. Carriage way takes care of their guests very very well!
I recommend it to anyone, you will have a great stay!

• Stayed February 2014
One of my favorite things as an innkeeper is introducing first-time B&Bers to the B&B experience. I have adored B&Bs for almost 2 decades; hence the reason for getting in the business. I'm so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for contributing your review.
Parkersburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Carriage Way is really a nice place to stay while in St. Augustine! If I could give it another half circle rating I would. The innkeeper was so accommodating and helpful with planning our time! Our room was just as described and extremely clean! Breakfast was wonderful!!! This B&B has ample private parking and is within walking distance to just about anything you want to go do while visiting St. Augustine. I highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Your wonderful review was so refreshing! Thank you for taking the time to write it and highlight all the great amenities at Carriage Way. We pride ourselves on our Superior White Glove awards for housekeeping. Stay warm in West Virginia and visit again soon.

Been to Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!