“Simply AMAZING!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
York, SC USA
“Simply AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We found this little gem by accident while on a business trip. I am French and have lived in the US for over 20 years. This bistro is just like the ones I am used to in France and the food is just perfect. The combination of flavors and delicacy of the aromas are absolutely spot on. Absolute culinary talent is what I would describe the food at this restaurant. It took me back to France in a heart beat. The staff was very good and very friendly. 10 thumbs up!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Largo, Florida, United States
“Best French Onion soup in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Small and charming restuarant in the heart of the historic district. Service is excellent, all the staff work together to ensure that your every need is taken care of. Their French onion soup is huge and very tasty. It is listed as an appetizer, but it is truly a meal in itself. Give it a try. you won't be disappointed.

• Visited November 2012
Saint Augustine, Florida
“big let down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Ordered the evening special. Appetizer was some macaroni with sliced tomato, eggplant, and cheese. ok but not what you should get when ordering $20 menu.For my main course I recieved a chicken wing and a drumstick on about a half cup of pasta with brown liquid. Shocked! Felt like there was one chicken in the kitchen to feed 7 diners. Pear tart was old and stale. I felt like the special plate was the chefs way to clean out the fridge.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Candid Camera at the Bistro de Leon”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I know this bistro well since I had been there numerous times and really enjoyed it.
That night, after a long day of driving, I decided to go for a treat and took a chance without reservation on a Friday night. As I walked in the bistro, I noticed that the place was nearly empty. Lucky I thought. I was immediately invited to a table by my sailing instructor who happened to be there. The light was a little too dim, but who cares, this is part of the "french" atmosphere to eat in the dark. In any case, after sitting for over one hour watching the waitresses engrossed in private conversations, the food for my host arrived along with the pate I ordered as an appetizer. I immediately noted how sweet it was, covered with a very sugary beet sauce: in one word, I thought that I had jumped to dessert and stale bread without realizing it. I had waited so long for it (by then one hour and a half had gone by), and decided to skip the meal, Improvise, Adapt and Overcome, and go directly to dessert and cafe:
No chance! The Eclair au Chocolat was hard and dry, obviously old, and the cafe, claimed to be Illy's, was sufficiently acidic to pickle eggs with. In the interim, my hosts at the table, had sent back to the kitchen every items they had ordered: the onion soup was 90% solid with cheese and croutons, so solid, that I was able to lift the all thing with a fork while the salad was floating away in its dressing and so on. The real thing was funnier than the Bistro's movie playing above the bar, on a continuous loop "Le Grand Restaurant" with Louis de Funes"... we burst out laughing expecting at any moment Candid Camera to jump in or the Twilight Zone if you prefer. This is when I dared to complain - The owner response: "we had a bad day, is everyday of your life perfect? We are working with half the electrical power in the kitchen! Here is your money back and never come back."
This is what I will do and sadly enough for Leon, everyone else present.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ocala, FL
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I almost gave this a fifth star, but I was disappointed in the onion soup. While it's usually a bit salty, this was beyond that. The only other disappointment was the pate de campagne. I can't hold that aginst them, however, because of my lack of the French language and failing to ask about a description. It is NOT pate de foie gras and had an unpleasant texture for my pallet. the escargot was good and my entree of seafood risotto was fantastic. It was very rich and the scallops were wonderful. My wife enjoyed her beef tenderloin and the bleu cheese sauce ordered an extra was outstanding. We will be sure to return.
Also, t's a geat place for croissants and pan chocolate for breakfast: :take-out or dining in!

• Visited August 2012