“So so visit” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: 45 Minutes from Negril Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park welcomes you to experience the ambiance and serenity of Nature. Abeokuta is a Heritage, Health and Eco-Tourist Attraction located in Dean's Valley Westmoreland. The Park was officially opened on January 5th, 2003 by the Nigerian High Commissioner, Her Excellency Florentina Ukonga. Abeokuta is a beautiful unspoiled natural Jamaican Attraction that has been a breathtaking and rejuvenating experience for guests locally and internationally. There is nothing like Abeokuta on the entire island and the closest place to this is Abeokuta in Nigeria, Africa to which Abeokuta, Jamaica is directly linked for over three hundred years. This occurred when the first slaves that were taken to the Parish of Westmoreland were brought to this Plantation from Abeokuta, Nigeria.The Park itself occupies 13 acres of land on a hill that was the original Plantation Yard. The remains of the Great House still stand magnificently fashioned from pure cut 2' thick stone. On the property is the oldest swimming pool in Jamaica which goes back three hundred years, with near Olympic dimensions being 71ft long and 47ft wide ranging from 4 to 10 feet in depth. There is a rope swing too!Mineral Water is supplied to this historic pool and a "Kiddie Pool" via an aqueduct 1/4 mile long. Beginning at the riverhead, water flows constantly and ends in two separate waterfalls. The therapeutic value of the Mineral Water has been highly touted in the relief of Arthritis as well as muscle or bone problems due to the concentration of Iron, Calcium, Chloride, Magnesium and several other natural minerals.The view from Abeokuta Paradisee Nature Park is quite spectacular and breathtaking due to the "bird's eye" altitude encompassing the distant ocean, spreading fields of sugar cane and enormous "paw-paw" fields that appear as a carpet of grass. There is the "Olumo Rock" which you can see on the Nature Tour. This rock is found in one other place in the world, Abeokuta, Nigeria, Africa! Abeokuta is a crime-free community with no hassles and the beautifully kept grounds are Harmonious and Tranquil with flowers and fruit trees all around.Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park is just off the B8 Main Highway between Ferris Cross and Montego Bay just a few miles from Ferris Cross. We can arrange reliable and safe drivers to collect you from whereever you are and return you safely. We can cater to all requirements, from private parties, weddings, marriage blessings, special moments, Reiki, massages, crochet lessons, BBQ's, Bar's, picnics, chillout and swimming. All is welcome.
New York City, New York
“So so visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The grounds are absolutely stunning. The drive was beautiful. It took about 1hr from Negril if you don't get lost like we did - it's really tough to find if you're renting a car and finding it on your own without a taxi.

We called the day before to let Brotha Man that we'll be showing up and was hoping to have lunch, as was told he cooks really great food if you ask in advance. Anyhow, when we got there we were nicely greeted by the host and told to enjoy the grounds and he'd give a tour if we wanted to. We also mentioned the lunch and he said he'd work on it. We stayed a couple hours and nothing quite...happened. Ha! We stood around for a while and was ignored till we finally decided to just shove off and head back to Negril.

All in all a nice visit, though not entirely sure why it's so highly ranked.

Visited March 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
“Magical!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Loved, Loved, Loved it! The view is absolutely breath taking. The vibes are great......you just get a sense of positive energy. Ann......love you dearly. You mad me and guest feel like we knew you for years. You are a gem! The food was awesome........everything was flavorfull and fresh. Swimming in the mineral pool was a great experience. It was different getting a natural pedicure from the fish in the pool. My skin felt like silk when I came out of the water......and any aches or pains I had prior to jumping in the water, I no longer had when I came out of the water. I would recommend this place to everyone I know. Peace and blessings and I definately look forward to coming back soon!

Visited February 2013
England
“Unspoilt and full of charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were searching to visit somewhere a bit off the beaten track and were recommended to contact Anny, an English woman who organises Abeokuta’s tours (tel 465 9580/ ann.mcleod@hotmail.com). We set off early one morning and a plus for us was the journey – pleasant and not long, 3/4hr drive max from Negril.

The place is completely unspoilt with a natural style and the views are superb. We were greeted by the owner Brother Man, who’s knowledgeable of the area and also about Abeokuta’s history. We went on the river walk with him, enjoyable and not heavy-going. We swam in the mineral water pool and sat under the waterfall, both refreshing experiences, and generally ate, drank and relaxed for the day. Anny had organised a lunch of roasted fish, delicious salads and fruits and it was one of the best meals we had.

Abeokuta is quite different from anywhere else we visited, part of its beauty is that it seems to be one of Negril’s best kept secrets. It’s not ‘touristy’ and is full of unspoilt, natural charm with a good vibe. There’s plenty of space to relax by the pool and you can also move around and sit in secluded, more private spots.

We found the hosts to be warm and genuine and the Abeokuta team were engaging, providing an excellent service with a smile. There was no pressure to leave, we stayed until early evening and felt welcome the whole time.

My tips: Make a visit before too many people get to know about the place and don’t forget your camera, as I did.

Visited December 2012
Waitsfield, Vermont, United States
“60th Birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had my 60th birthday party at Abeokuta with friends and family. I have visited the nature park for more than 4 years and each time find it more inviting. The fresh water has such a cleansing feel, and the atmosphere is amazing. I would recommend this to anyone going to Jamaica, and will certainly be back on my next visit. :)

Visited May 2012
San Francisco, California
“Do It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was hesitant to go because I just wanted to sit on the beach and do nothing.

I couldn't have been happier about my decision to get up and go!

The drive is beautiful and allows you to see parts of Jamaica that you wouldn't otherwise and OH MY GOODNESS - when you get to Abeokuta you can hardly believe how beautiful it is. It's like you are on top of the world!

It is rich with history, beauty, kind kind people, amazing food, fresh water that makes you feel brand new and an experience that you won't soon forget.

I have been going to Negril since 1989 and have not done a lot of excursions but this experience changed me .... next time I am there I will FOR SURE visit Abeokuta again and will also add another destination to my list.

Thank you for a beautiful day Andrew, Annie, Brother Man & Kaya!

Visited December 2012