“not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars

Saskatoon, Canada
8 attraction reviews
“not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We went on this tour in Dec. / 13 and were greatly disappointed. We wanted to go snorkeling but when the boat stopped at the area with diving and snorkeling, a couple of divers hopped off and the boat kept going. There was NO snorkeling! When we got to the island crowded with tourists, there was warm pre-mixed (poured from a jug) rum and cokes! that was the only thing to drink while there. The lunch was bland at best. You could pay extra for lobster which looked good but after spending $70 USD each for a snorkeling trip with no snorkeling we weren't about to dish out more money. Both, my partner and I were sick for a day after this trip and we both woke up the next day with a strange taste in our mouths and our tongue's were black. The black brushed off our tongues but that's just not normal and didn't happen any other time during our vacation. The boat was loud with drunks all over the place. This was clearly a booze cruse and not what we asked for and paid for.

Visited December 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
“Okay, not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our Air Canada representative recommended for us to take the trip to Catalina Island. He mentioned that the bus ride would be about an hour and a half, and that it was a full day excursion.

The bus picked us up at 7:20 from the resort, where we drove to a mall to pick up other groups. The tour guide was knowledgeable and gave us information about the island as we drove. The bus ride was a lot longer than an hour and a half.. closer to 3 hours. We arrived at the marine dock and got off the bus. We then got onto the riverboat, which took us down the river. They had drinks (Pepsi, 7up, Rum and beer). We saw some cool houses, but other than that was pretty useless.

After the riverboat, we got on the catamaran. We rode on the catamaran for about an hour and a half. The girls were handing out a lot of alcohol, which normally would have been fine but the tour guide said there wouldn't have been much alcohol before the snorkeling. Many of the people on the boat were very intoxicated, but snorkeled anyways. The snorkeling was below average. I saw a plastic bag, which was really sad. Saw the same 4 fish swim around.

There wasn't much safety in terms of the boat. Lifejackets looked like they came out of the 1980's and one size: huge. No handrails on the boats or side rails to prevent people falling out of the boat.

Once we got to Catalina, we all settled into the beach and were hassled by the vendors trying to sell us massages, and other trinkets found everywhere else on the island. Lunch was prepared, we had the option of lobster, fish, pork or chicken. I went with the lobster, which was okay, not great. You should be careful with the fruit, as it may not be safe, you have left the resort. We were given an hour and a half to relax, where we were again bothered to get massages.

After leaving Catalina Island, we spend another hour and a half on the boat to get back to the bus, where we rode to Casa de Campo. This little town was so BEAUTIFUL. Easily the highlight of my entire trip. We were only given about 45 minutes to look around; I really wish we were given more time there.

We got back to the hotel around 8 pm, where we were all really tired. All in all, an okay trip. I've had similar trips that were much better.

Visited December 2013
Prospect, KY
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The worst tour I have ever been on. We took the Catalina Island VIP tour from Blue Travel Partners. This is an all day tour that includes transportation, catamaran ride to snorkeling and to Catalina, a riverboat ride up the Chavon river and sightseeing in Altos de Chavon. This is way too much to do in one day to begin with and I should have known better. Anyhow, they promised there would be towels, bottled water and "animation" on the boat. None true. The boat was old, the bathroom was disgusting, the snacks were very poor quality. The worst part was the snorkeling. The area they took us had tons of jelly fish, the ocean floor had trash all over it. There were hardly any fish at all. The "beautiful, secluded island" we visited was nothing more than a section of coastline with people selling jewelry and trying to get you to buy their massages. The beach was not any more special than what we had at our villa beach club. The best part of the day was the riverboat cruise and the town of Altos de Chavon, but of course they gave you 30 minutes to walk through this town. I could have stayed there the whole day. It was very pretty and there were multiple shops and restaurants. I have never been so upset as I was about this tour. The guides just sat silent all day. Not friendly, barely helpful. It wasn't the cost of the trip - it was the waste of my precious vacation day.

Visited November 2013
Calgary, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“A good view, but pay attention to the wishes of your guests!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

2 tank dives off the boat in sight of Catalina Island to "The Wall" and "The Aquarium". Our dive master took us (5 strangers) down along the bottom to the wall and then we dropped down amongst some great vegetation and a few fish. Thankfully I had my dive computer set properly as he took us down to 72 feet...which is 12 feet deeper than a regular open water diver is supposed to go. Probably not a big deal, but as a novice diver, I'm still paying attention to the rules taught to me.
When we finished the dives, we were brought on to the island itself for some food and beverages. This was great as it gave us a chance to chat about the dives and mark down in our logs. Unfortunately, we stayed way too long, despite most of us asking to leave due to being bored, and the very large storm cloud looming overhead. We did not leave in time, and ended up getting completely soaked and chilled by the storm all the way back to the harbour. I would advise against actually eating the food as I am now 12 pounds lighter than I should be and currently taking very strong anti-bacterial pills...enough said about that.
All in all an okay experience, but not leaving when it would have been prudent to do so, and my slip up in actually eating off the resort made it a less than stellar.

Having said that, the staff on the boat were excellent and fun.

Visited October 2013
Kincardine, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Catalina Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Incredible trip on a Catamaran. The snorkelling was excellent the lunch was terrific and the bus ride to and from Now Larimar was very enjoyable.

Visited January 2013