“DO NOT STAY HERE-don't care attitude!!” 1 of 5 stars

Punta Gorda (PG) Waterfront
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Retta Esplanade, Punta Gorda, FL 33950   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Florida
“DO NOT STAY HERE-don't care attitude!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

I booked my room through Airnav, my confirmation was for 1 night, arriving on a specified date. When I arrived to check in, there was confusion at the desk as they did not have my reservation, although looking it up on the computer they found it. The front desk person, Sylvan, said I was supposed to check in the night before for 2 nights, since I did not show up they charged me for the night. My confirmation stated 1 night on the night I showed up, it did not matter to them, they stood on their charge and supposedly that I was to show up the day before. Their attitude was..too bad, so sad, we got our money anyway. I called the company responsible for the booking, and their information matched mine and we found out the Hotel manually enters the reservations and it was obviously incorrect. I had to find another place to stay. I know mistakes can happen, what really irritated me, was that the hotel manager did not even offer to help me find another place to stay since they were all booked up! This was the most unacceptable part of the inconvenience. Because of the attitude I would definitely not ever attempt to stay here again. By the way, all charges have been reversed since all my information was confirmed to be correct and the Hotel's was not, yet no apology has been received. Bad Bad customer service!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2007

I travel a LOT and just had to call my friend to tell her that I am able to do 3 things that I never do. 1. Take my shoes off and walk barefoot on the carpet, 2. sit on the comforter without being nervous, and 3. Sit in the chairs without covering them with towels. This hotel is well cared for! All the units are non smoking. The staff is curteous and friendly. They speak English, which is MY language.
I really liked this place and would recommend it to anyone!

• Liked — It was CLEAN!
  • Disliked — Least but not a terrible thing is that the water ran hot and cold for my first shower
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

This hotel was surprisingly good for the relatively low price they charge. The location is great. Great area to hang out for a day or two

10 seconds from a very nice waterfront park that has a fishing pier and also a lot of tennis courts.

very close drive to Fisherman's Village, and within walking distrance of a street with 2 or 3 very good yuppie restaurants

staff was very helpful about telling us where to go (fisherman's village), and where to eat. We had absolutely no idea where to go until they gave us advice. Even has a heated pool.

staff was very friendly throughout our stay. My wife, who is a cleanliness nut, thought it wasn't too clean, but I thought it was more than satisfactory in this respect. Would definitely go back.

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — could have been a bit cleaner
  • Tips/Secrets — ask the front desk for advice they were very helpful
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2006

Beautiful hotel right on the water. Perfect location. Very clean and large rooms. Wifi service. Loved it.

• Liked — rooms and location
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for one Saturday night with 3 friends. I reserved the room on Best Western's webpage and got a park view, double bed room with AAA discount for $109. We were a late arrival, but were checked in promptly. We had room 310 which was remodeled and had a view of the park and the water. The room was very clean and we didn't have any issues with our stay. There were no towels or washcloths in our room but some were brought up when we requested them. The hallways sometimes did smell of cigerette smoke, even though our room and the rooms around us were non-smoking rooms.. I swam in the pool with my friends at about 10:00 pm. There were no lights on in the pool but, there was enough light from the bar nearby to swim by. The music from the bar was pretty loud but, most people were enjoying sitting on their room patios near the pool.

For dinner that evening we went just down the street to Fisherman's Village (an entertainment complex) about 7:00pm. Most of the shops were closed already??? We ate at The Oyster Bar. Don't bother eating here. My friends and I all ordered different items, including lobster and the only good thing was a hamburger. The fried catfish was nasty. Their bread is good and they do make their own salad dressings. The salads are just iceburg lettuce and sliced tomatoes. I think next time we will visit the Bella Luna Italian restaurant in Fisherman's Village. I heard they serve "authentic" italian food.

We didn't visit the hotel bar but, did visit the contential breakfast the next morning. The was cereal, bagels, english muffins, french toast, hard boiled eggs, several kinds of juice, milk, hot tea and coffee. Afterwards, we walked outside and enjoyed the views which really are incredible. A little walkway under US 41 from the hotel will take you to a parking lot where they had a small flea market on Sunday. We were happy to browse there.

I think this is the only decent place to stay in Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte. Hopefully, it will still be decent when we visit again next year!

• Liked — Views, Park and Pool
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

This was a great hotel. Upon pulling up you'd swear this was a Marriott or Hilton property. That's what the place reminds one of. It's upscale Florida casual. No issues, and the views are out of this world. The staff is accomodating, the rooms nice. Food decent. All told with a few more bucks tossed at it, this would be an upscale property. Not Ritz Carlton mind you; but better than your average Best Western. As far as the lower (not entry scale names) Ramada is consistently the best. This beats Ramada. I know people post too much about this but the views absolutely make this hotel. That feature alone makes it worth staying here. This is a vacation hot spot. If you want the nice Florida vacation-style views, this is the only choice in the Punta Gorda area.

Stayed September 2006
Zephyrhills, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

Our trip to Punta Gorda was to check out the area for possible relocation. Upon arrival at the hotel, about 8pm Friday night we though we would let the kids go for a swim, the pool area was to be open till 10pm however once we got outside it was very dark in the pool area, no lights on at all. We went to the front desk to ask about the pool hours and we were told it was open by the desk clerk we stated that it was very dark no lights on in the pool either, he again stated it was open but suggested we swim during the day instead. He was not very willing to even look into the lighting issue at all. We gave up. The next morning we were leaving to go explore the town, once outside by our vehicle we noticed a very large dent, and scratch on the passenger side back door, and a rock broken in 3 pieces on the ground next to our SUV. We took extra caution to park in a spot that would be out of the way, as we take pride in our SUV. As you can guess we were not very pleased and went into the hotel to advsie a manager of this issue, we were told "no managers were on duty" we advsied we would like someone to at least acknowledge that our vehicle was vandilized, so the desk clerk unwilling and after several statements that the "hotel is not responsible for damage done in the parking lot" came to look at the vehilce when she saw the damage she offered to call the police. The police arrived and took photos of the damage and stated that they visit this parking lot at least once a week for such incidents due to the Lounge/ Tiki Bar in the hotels parking lot. The officer stated that on several occasions it has been suggested the hotel install cameras of the parking lot but corporate offices of Best Western won't have this done. I can only hope camera's are installed so that this dosnt happen to someone else. Nobody expects to go to a hotel for a weekend and then leave with at least $500 of damage to your vehicle and not even a discount or anything for our stay. The hotel is just average, the staff not caring, and the pool area is nice but it is dark at 8pm and not a good idea to swim in the dark.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Punta Gorda hotels

Been to Punta Gorda (PG) Waterfront? Share your experiences!