“Lovely hotel, but missing expected amenities” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rochester, New York
“Lovely hotel, but missing expected amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We spent 8 nights ar this hotel while visiting Punta Gorda in March. The hotel has beautiful decor, friendly staff and excellent cleanliness. We enjoyed the hotel bar and the restaurant (breakfast buffet $10/person). The tiki bar was nice, but patrons completely packed the parking lot and it was difficult to find parking in the late afternoon and evening.

We found the rooms to be quite small and without a usable seating area. The TV was on the wall, not adjustable, and you could not comfortably sit in either chair and see the TV. We wanted to unpack our bags for the stay, but there were no dressers/drawers. There were a couple of long benches with a shelf underneath, but not easy to use/access due to the ergonomics. The AC/heating unit did a terrible job of temperature control. The room was too hot unless the unit was loudly running, then it was ice cold in the room. The bathroom was quite large, but I would have preferred to have more usable space in the room. The elevators did not work the first two days we were there. The spa/ hot tub was either not working, ice cold, or too hot to sit comfortably in for our entire stay. The pool was great.

Our single biggest complaint was that there was no refrigerator in our room. What a surprise! Q We have stayed at Sheraton hotels all over the country and have ALWAYS had a refrigerator. We book at hotels like the Sheraton so we can expect to get basic amenities such as a refrigerator. My husband is insulin dependent and a refrigerator is a must. We offered to pay for a more expensive room to get a fridge, but that did not help. The desk staff offered to let us put medication in the employee fridge, but we can't take the chance on having the meds outside of our control. It took three days of asking every day, but they finally found a small fridge to roll into our room.

This is a nice hotel but we will not stay here again. For the price, we expect basic amenities like a fridge, adequate parking and good temperature control to be there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Four Points by ... P, Front Office Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear TammiFlannery,

We here at the Four Points by Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our Award Winning property. I am happy that you enjoyed the friendly staff, the cleanliness of the hotel, and the special décor that was chosen for the property. I love the small touches of the nautical theme also, as it fits very well with being located on the water here in beautiful Punta Gorda, FL. As for the refrigerators, I am very happy to inform you that we have ordered new refrigerators for all the rooms and are currently waiting for delivery and installation. On your next visit to Punta Gorda, please give the hotel a call and I will do my best to provide with a suite. We only have two in the hotel, and they are very accommodating, with a separate sitting area, with its own flat screen tv as well. Hope to see you again soon!

Adam Myara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Clean rooms, can't-be-beat location and fantastic tiki bar. A big turn-off was being told on arrival (at 3:20 p.m., 20 minutes AFTER check-in time) that the room wasn't ready and to check back in 40 minutes or so. Not a word of apology. Really? You knew we were coming for a 4-night stay since we booked last fall and you couldn't get the room ready on time? It's odd that the staff here were indifferent and dismissive when we encountered nothing but friendliness and helpfulness from the staff at all of the other (cheaper) hotels we stayed at in Florida during our February vacation. That was the only thing lacking here though. We'd stay here again and I guess if something has to suffer I'd rather it be the staff than comfort, cleanliness and location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear bluewater_2004,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Award winning Four Points by Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside. I truly am sorry that your room was not ready upon your arrival to the hotel. We try to accommodate each and every guest that walks through the door. Just like in any business sometimes we encounter issues such as guests checking out late, and it can put housekeeping behind schedule. But I am happy that you enjoyed the facilities and you still had an amazing stay. There is nothing more beautiful than to be able to sit with your toes in the sand, a cold drink in your hand, and a picturesque sunset before your eyes. (A common occurrence out at The Tiki Bar.) On your next stay with us, please feel free to call the hotel and ask for myself or another manager and we will ensure that everything is perfect on your next visit to beautiful Punta Gorda, Florida.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The location was perfect right in the city beside the water!! The staff was very nice and friendly. My room was great with a beautiful view of the water. It is a bit over pricey and the room did not have a fridge or a microwave. But other then that my stay was GREAT!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tiffani F,

Thank you so much for your review of The Four Points by Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside. You do us a great honor when you take the time to write about the hotel and tell everyone about your experience here in beautiful Punta Gorda, FL. We are very lucky to have such a wonderful location here. As you said, it is right in the heart of the city with all the restaurants within walking distance, but also located waterside with our very own pier and dock for guests to park their boats. You will be happy to know that we have ordered fridges for each room and they will be arriving shortly. We hope to see you again soon!

Redlands, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Free parking, nice room with comfortable beds. Even though we were by a busy road, there must be good insulation because there was no noticeable noise to disturb your rest. Nice blackout shade in case you didn't want any outside light in your room. Didn't eat there. Small pool, but my daughter enjoyed it. Quick efficient checkout. Staff seemed helpful & friendly.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Luv2Travel10069,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Award Winning Four Points by Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside, located in the heart of Punta Gorda Florida. I am very happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us in the heart of our busy season. The beds that you mentioned are The Four Points by Sheraton Signature bedding called "The Four Comfort Bed" which is used in every room of our hotel. On your next visit, you must try The Dockside Grill and The Tiki Bar, located right on property. We have a new chef and he is doing amazing specials each day that keep the locals returning time after time. I know that it can be hard with all the wonderful restaurants located within walking distance of the hotel!

Glenview, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I arrived at this hotel with a work colleague after a very long day. We were given keys to our rooms which were next to each other. When we got to our rooms, my colleague's assigned room had a Do Not Disturb sign on it. So she knocked and, lo and behold, a man answered the door. I suggested that she leave her bag in my room and I offered to go back to Registration with her. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door to my room only to find a man sitting on the bed. We went back downstairs and explained what happened. The clerk apologized. Barely. I don't think she understood how awkward and embarrassing the situation was. We were assigned new rooms. After stowing our things, my colleague and I went back downstairs to buy a couple of candy bars. Like I said, it was a long day, the restaurant was closed and we were a bit hungry. We selected our candy bars...one each...and went to the Registration desk to pay. The same clerk happily took our money. Seriously? As a minor gesture for a pretty serious mistake this hotel couldn't have popped for two measly candy bars? Tacky. Really tacky.

The room is fine, but I do not feel safe here. The dead bolt is engaged, but I am not comfortable leaving my things in my room to go to breakfast in the morning or to the Fitness Center. Apparently, it is just too easy for a guest to receive a key to an already-occupied room.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Four Points by ... P, Front Office Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Julie T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. We take the guest's safety and security very seriously. For this reason I have started investigating your comments and concerns. Also, I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy The Dockside Grill. They have a new Caribbean themed menu, and our new chef is creating new specials every night for our guests to enjoy. Unfortunately the dinning room closes at 10pm. On your next visit to our hotel, please give me a call, we will do whatever we can to ensure that you have a fabulous stay.

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Staff was generally helpful and friendly. Room clean and spacious with a view of the river. Lobby could have been cleaner (e.g. newspapers and brochures scattered about, empty plastic cups on table and floor) and water refilled regularly. Happy hour freebies OK but not great. Many restaurants close by.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Four Points by ... P, Front Office Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear MikefromSeattle,

Thank you for you review of The Four Points by Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside. We appreciate any and all feedback that is given and will take all steps necessary to ensure each and every guest has a wonderful stay. I believe the happy hour freebies you mentioned are the Best Brews and BBQ which we have every Wednesday. The menu changes each week so on your next visit you may be pleasantly surprised to see what our new chef has created to go along with the complimentary beer samples that are given to each guest at check in.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Location is excellent, right in the city and by the harbor. The room is modern, big, clean, bright, and elegantly decorated with most amenities present. I slept well, nice bed and soft pillows. The only thing missing is the fridge in the room. They provide complimentary bottled water. Free WiFi in the room and all areas. Bathroom is modern, clean and with basic amenities. The staff were nice and friendly.
There is a Tiki bar by the harbor with live music and people are dancing. You can sit down either inside or outside the tiki bar and enjoy drinks, live music and dancing. Sitting outside the tiki bar with a glass of margarita, listening to music and watching the beautiful sunset is priceless.
I really enjoyed my stay and I would definitely stay in this hotel again when going to Punta Gorda.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Four Points by ... P, Front Office Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear RPRF,

Thank you for your review of The Four Points by Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside. I could not have described the property and the experience that our guests have better than you did in your review. It really sounds like you had a wonderful time in Punta Gorda, and were able to soak up all the little delights that the hotel offers a guest. From the perfect location on the water and downtown to shops and restaurants, to the Tiki Bar with the dancing and picturesque sunsets. Please come back soon, February through April is really an exciting time to be in Punta Gorda, and we can't wait to see you again soon.

Adam Myara

Been to Four Points By Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside? Share your experiences!