“Spiffy Room with a View!” 5 of 5 stars

The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 East Retta Esplanade, Punta Gorda, FL 33950   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Upper Arlington, Ohio
“Spiffy Room with a View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a beautiful property with a great rooftop lounge to take in the Charlotte Harbor sky!

The rooms are flawless and are fitted out with details that usually are seen only in more expensive surroundings. Great beds and swank linens! Staff was very welcoming and sweet.

The only minor nit to pick is the noise should there be live music on the roof. If there is an "orchestra" playing and you don't wish to be at the party, try to find a room on the lower floors!

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors are more restful if the music on the roof doesn't suit your tastes.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Lighthouse Cove, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here on several occasions while researching the purchase of our seasonal home in Punta Gorda, Florida. The rooms were all very nicely appointed with good linens and lots of granite and gleaming surfaces in the en suite bathroom. Higher level rooms on the north side have the best views of Charlotte Habour. Although some reviewers have complained of noise when there is live entertainment on the rooftop, we did not experience any problems during our stays. The views of the harbour are enjoyable from the rooftop terrace although the configuration of the hotel building (higher on the west side) blocks the view of the sun as it sets over the water. Lulu's restaurant on the ground level was a pleasant change from the usual hotel fare and the same kitchen offers a more limited menu on the rooftop terrace.
There is ample public parking across the road at Laishley Marina and valet parking is also offered at The Wyvern. The hotel is also one of the pick up/drop off locations for the free bicycle rental program operated by Punta Gorda: a pleasant way to tour the adjacent downtown and the bike paths throughout the harbour area.
We did purchase a home in Punta Gorda and now return regularly to The Wyvern for meals or drinks when we entertain family or friends visiting from Canada or overseas or when we feel like a night out.

Room Tip: North side rooms on the higher floors have the best views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My Mom & I lucked upon this hotel when we were booking a room for the Cinderella ballet at the Convention Center. It was easy to find and when we arrived they hadn't taken down the Christmas decor yet; so, it was very warm & welcoming in the lobby after an 8 hour drive. The staff was very friendly and helped make the check in process smooth. The room was immaculate and very clean with a nice view. We only stayed a couple of nights; so, we didn't get to use all the facilities, but the building itself was very lovely. The location was so close to where we had to go for the ballet that we walked there & the weather was great! I would definitely stay here/ recommend this place to everyone. My Mom is even asking if they have a Wyvern in Jacksonville for our trip later this month!

• Stayed January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It's not often we stay at a non-Marriott hotel, but the Wyvern came highly recommended and the Wyvern was closest to where we needed to be. What a fabulous place. Easy and friendly check-in, lovely room, walking distance to shops and restaurants, cool roof-top bar. And then we climbed into bed - oh, the sheets! It was one of the better night's sleep I've had in a hotel.

We only stayed a night, but would definitely come back. Only oddity was that the restaurant didn't open for breakfast until 8:00 am, but they served us quickly when we said we were on a tight timeline and the food was good and not overpriced. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I frequent this hotel,it's in my neighborhood. Every Friday and Saturday nights there is either a band or a DJ, the food is excellent (a bit pricey but worth it) and the view just takes your breath away. Great fun with friends and very romantic for an evening date.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Punta Gorda, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Even though we live locally, we will still stay at the Wyvern a few times a year. First Class rooms, clean quite, beautiful decor. Numerous restaurants and bars within a 2 block walk. Well worth the price!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Last time we were in Punta Gorda we stayed at Four Points. We liked that hotel, but I visited the rooftop bar at the Wyvern Hotel and vowed that I would stay at the Wyvern if we returned to Punta Gorda. Well, I am glad we did! The hotel is not perfect so let me get the cons out of the way. First of all, the parking can be horrible on a Friday night; I got lucky and grabbed a spot right away; even the very friendly bell man warned me that once I found a spot, stay there, because I would be lucky to find another one. He let me park in the drop-off turnaround in front while he showed me my room. Back to him in a moment - this gentleman was VERY pleasant and helpful! I wish more hotels employed more like him! But first back to the cons - the elevator is tricky. I was really tired and not feeling too well when I checked in, so the bellman was very clearly explaining this elevator to me, and I just was not paying close enough attention, rifling through my belongings, making sure I had tip change on me, for starters - I haven't been in a fancy hotel like this since I was in New York City so I was taken aback and didn't think to check for change first. In fact, when I checked in, he was talking a mile a minute - talking to me about the hotel and asking me all sorts of harmless questions like had I been there before, etc. - while I was trying to sign the paperwork and hand over my credit card and AAA card and made sure I put them all back in my wallet safely and just trying to catch my bearings. I truly appreciated his kindness and his professionalism, but really, I needed to concentrate for a minute here! Ok, so that elevator - I got stuck in it more than once, lugging heavy bags and riding it up and down 3 or 4 times, twice with the rooftop musicians - it was FUNNY! Normally I would be doubled over with laughter, but I wasn't in a laughing mood. The first time, I did not swipe the card at the little black thingamajiggy; then I swiped it at the wrong black thingamajiggy; then I swiped it the wrong way at the right black thingamajiggy! And then, get this! I actually swiped it the right way at the right black thingamajiggy and still no go! As one of the musicians noted, that elevator just did not want to take me to my room! I had no trouble with my room door, I should proudly note, and got in right smack dab on the mark 1st time every time! The reason the elevator is rigged this way is to provide security for the guests of the hotel. This is a very good idea, and I know it's very easy for most sophisticated people. But if you're old or tired from a long day's drive or hard day's work or stupid or, in my case, all of the above, you may need help with it to get it. Since the rooftop bar is for everyone, hotel guest or no, you can ride the elevator straight to the top without doing anything. Final con (or nitpick, I should say): I guess I misunderstood the "mini bar" concept since I am not used to staying in hotel rooms with minibars. I thought you received a couple of complimentary cocktails and a couple of complimentary candy bars - seems reasonable. After all, you get complimentary breakfasts at some hotels. So I ripped open a tiny bag of Famous Amos cookies before I saw the mini-bar menu that said they were $4! $4 for a puny bag of 3-4 small cookies! How New York! The mini-bar goods are WAY overpriced, just like popcorn and coke at a movie theater! I'm glad I had my own diet coke cans because 1 can of diet coke was $4; I kid you not!! When I later checked my credit card statement they slipped in a $32 charge for 1 $4 candy bar, 1 $4 puny bag of cookies and 3 $8 puny vials of liquor - in addition to my $142 room charge - OK fine, but at least send me a receipt indicating you did so and detail the charges, especially since I only remember us drinking 2 vials of liquor....I emailed them, and the manager sent me a curt response with no receipt. Fine! I will overlook that! Because this hotel was beee-autiful. Our room was lovely, impeccably clean. The beds are probably the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in - beating my previous winner, Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, Alaska! I just sank into dreamland; ahhhh, so cozy and comfy and ohhhhh I miss that bed........but I have not even mentioned the bathroom! My new favorite bathroom of all time. All glistening marble! Just beautiful! I don't know what else to do but show you photos! If you are rich and used to fancy living, you will snicker at me, but the bed, the bath, the comfy terrycloth robes (which can be bought for $175) are all way too good for the likes of me! I've never felt so pampered in my life by anybody other than my mother - and for $142 not bad at all! I read the reviews about the rooftop bar being noisy on Friday nights - since we had to stay on Friday night, I asked in my note requests for a quiet room, and they gave us a 2nd floor room which was as quiet as a mouse with the band going full blast! So my tip would be get a lower level floor if you are staying on a weekend night; if you are up high you will be right under the boom boom. You may not get a view that low, but I don't think you will get a view period unless you are on the rooftop bar or in the harbor view room. We ate dinner on the rooftop bar, and the view is glorious, the band I shared the elevator with was terrific, the drinks calmed my nerves, our waitress was very sweet, and the food was pretty good, too! I just love this beautiful hotel, and I hope I can come back someday for a much longer stay!

Room Tip: 1. Lower floors are quiet on nights where rooftop bar band is playing. 2. Don't use the overpric...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Sleep Inn & Suites Port Charlotte

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!