“We Love this Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda, Florida
“We Love this Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Even though we live locally, we will still stay at the Wyvern a few times a year. First Class rooms, clean quite, beautiful decor. Numerous restaurants and bars within a 2 block walk. Well worth the price!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Ethridge, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Last time we were in Punta Gorda we stayed at Four Points. We liked that hotel, but I visited the rooftop bar at the Wyvern Hotel and vowed that I would stay at the Wyvern if we returned to Punta Gorda. Well, I am glad we did! The hotel is not perfect so let me get the cons out of the way. First of all, the parking can be horrible on a Friday night; I got lucky and grabbed a spot right away; even the very friendly bell man warned me that once I found a spot, stay there, because I would be lucky to find another one. He let me park in the drop-off turnaround in front while he showed me my room. Back to him in a moment - this gentleman was VERY pleasant and helpful! I wish more hotels employed more like him! But first back to the cons - the elevator is tricky. I was really tired and not feeling too well when I checked in, so the bellman was very clearly explaining this elevator to me, and I just was not paying close enough attention, rifling through my belongings, making sure I had tip change on me, for starters - I haven't been in a fancy hotel like this since I was in New York City so I was taken aback and didn't think to check for change first. In fact, when I checked in, he was talking a mile a minute - talking to me about the hotel and asking me all sorts of harmless questions like had I been there before, etc. - while I was trying to sign the paperwork and hand over my credit card and AAA card and made sure I put them all back in my wallet safely and just trying to catch my bearings. I truly appreciated his kindness and his professionalism, but really, I needed to concentrate for a minute here! Ok, so that elevator - I got stuck in it more than once, lugging heavy bags and riding it up and down 3 or 4 times, twice with the rooftop musicians - it was FUNNY! Normally I would be doubled over with laughter, but I wasn't in a laughing mood. The first time, I did not swipe the card at the little black thingamajiggy; then I swiped it at the wrong black thingamajiggy; then I swiped it the wrong way at the right black thingamajiggy! And then, get this! I actually swiped it the right way at the right black thingamajiggy and still no go! As one of the musicians noted, that elevator just did not want to take me to my room! I had no trouble with my room door, I should proudly note, and got in right smack dab on the mark 1st time every time! The reason the elevator is rigged this way is to provide security for the guests of the hotel. This is a very good idea, and I know it's very easy for most sophisticated people. But if you're old or tired from a long day's drive or hard day's work or stupid or, in my case, all of the above, you may need help with it to get it. Since the rooftop bar is for everyone, hotel guest or no, you can ride the elevator straight to the top without doing anything. Final con (or nitpick, I should say): I guess I misunderstood the "mini bar" concept since I am not used to staying in hotel rooms with minibars. I thought you received a couple of complimentary cocktails and a couple of complimentary candy bars - seems reasonable. After all, you get complimentary breakfasts at some hotels. So I ripped open a tiny bag of Famous Amos cookies before I saw the mini-bar menu that said they were $4! $4 for a puny bag of 3-4 small cookies! How New York! The mini-bar goods are WAY overpriced, just like popcorn and coke at a movie theater! I'm glad I had my own diet coke cans because 1 can of diet coke was $4; I kid you not!! When I later checked my credit card statement they slipped in a $32 charge for 1 $4 candy bar, 1 $4 puny bag of cookies and 3 $8 puny vials of liquor - in addition to my $142 room charge - OK fine, but at least send me a receipt indicating you did so and detail the charges, especially since I only remember us drinking 2 vials of liquor....I emailed them, and the manager sent me a curt response with no receipt. Fine! I will overlook that! Because this hotel was beee-autiful. Our room was lovely, impeccably clean. The beds are probably the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in - beating my previous winner, Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, Alaska! I just sank into dreamland; ahhhh, so cozy and comfy and ohhhhh I miss that bed........but I have not even mentioned the bathroom! My new favorite bathroom of all time. All glistening marble! Just beautiful! I don't know what else to do but show you photos! If you are rich and used to fancy living, you will snicker at me, but the bed, the bath, the comfy terrycloth robes (which can be bought for $175) are all way too good for the likes of me! I've never felt so pampered in my life by anybody other than my mother - and for $142 not bad at all! I read the reviews about the rooftop bar being noisy on Friday nights - since we had to stay on Friday night, I asked in my note requests for a quiet room, and they gave us a 2nd floor room which was as quiet as a mouse with the band going full blast! So my tip would be get a lower level floor if you are staying on a weekend night; if you are up high you will be right under the boom boom. You may not get a view that low, but I don't think you will get a view period unless you are on the rooftop bar or in the harbor view room. We ate dinner on the rooftop bar, and the view is glorious, the band I shared the elevator with was terrific, the drinks calmed my nerves, our waitress was very sweet, and the food was pretty good, too! I just love this beautiful hotel, and I hope I can come back someday for a much longer stay!

Room Tip: 1. Lower floors are quiet on nights where rooftop bar band is playing. 2. Don't use the overpric...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rockwall, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

A recent family reunion allowed me a wonderful 2 night stay at the Wyvern in Punta Gorda. I booked this hotel strictly on the advice of other Trip Advisor reviews and could not have been more satisfied. The lobby, and the greeting that accompanied my arrival, was welcoming and beyond friendly. A gentleman escorted me to my room, all along telling me what a good choice I had made in chosing the Wyvern. The room itself was huge, comfortable and quiet. I wanted to use the popular roof top bar/pool area, but the heavy rain forced that area to be closed one night. The next morning, however, the roof top pool was sparkling clean and inviting. The bar/restaurant downstairs was hopping both nights I was there, the bar tender recalling my name the second night.
I'd definitely book this property again; it's far and above anything in or near Punta Gorda and the surrounding areas.. The 2 Ritz properities in nearby Naples, some 60 miles south, have more amenities, but for the cost, I'd chose the Wyvern.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Greenwood Lake, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Like being in a Fifth Avenue hotel in NYC while in paradise. Perfect in every way! Service and Staff....Perfect! Location....Perfect! Rooms, clean and large.....Perfect! Restaurant.....Perfect! Roof top pool and lounge rival the best anywhere, and the views.....Perfect! Punta Gorda is a Hidden Gem and this hotel is a PERFECT fit. Don't miss this one!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Recently renovated hotel with rooftop lounge featuring sunset views over the water and pool, good lobby bar & dining room, and large inexpensive rooms. A great weekend getaway! Other local dining options worth a visit include The Perfect Caper & Opus - serving lunch & dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room overlooking the water.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Wyvern hotel exceeded our expectations. Absolutely beautiful - gracious staff, beautiful decor, gorgeous and immaculate room, rooftop pool with views of bay...have stayed in numerous hotels including The Ritz Carlton...this hotel is a worthy rival. I wanted to move in permanently!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The staff seems friendly, but does not follow through on promises. They make you feel like they care, but not so. The rooftop could be fun with such a great setting, but the place is usually filled with East Coast Attitude and the staff plays into that. Try the Tiki bar across the street for a great view and better people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!