“Great place for a family vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Sandpiper Bay

You added Club Med Sandpiper Bay to your Saves list
Club Med Sandpiper Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   4500 S.E Pine Valley Street, Port Saint Lucie, FL 34952   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
toronto,ont.
“Great place for a family vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our extended family which includes grandparents, parents and children have been spending two weeks during the March school break at this facility for a number of years. It has great children's programs giving parents relaxing days to sit around one of the pools or participate in many of the organized activities. Rooms have always been clean, staff very friendly and food enjoyable. The only complaint is the poor Internet connections and the charges for using this service which is usually provided for free in hotels.

Room Tip: Standard club rooms are large and adequate.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My partner and I travelled with our combined brood of 3 kids, ages 9, 10, and 13. They all had a great time. For us, it was a bit mind numbing after a while. This is a FAMILY resort. I saw a few couples and felt sorry for them with all the screaming kids and organized daily activities and microphone yelling. Although there is an adults only pool, you can't even have a quiet cocktail at the main bar because they bring the kids camps there too. The resort was pretty nice. The GOs are AMAZING and make the place. They are full of energy morning, noon and night, are genuinely friendly and make you feel very welcome. We enjoyed the trapeze, the daily pool volleyball and water polo games and the adults did the fitness center daily. The rooms were pretty roomy with big closet areas. They were a bit dated and could have been a little cleaner. The food is pretty good for a buffet but after day 5 we were all getting a little tired of it. The resort could definitely use another option and especially an adults only sit down restaurant for a little respite from the same exact soundtrack by the pool every single day. The beach was closed due to river pollution so we missed out on that. We also didn't get the refillable water bottles mentioned on the website. They did away with that a while back and haven't updated the site. The pool area needs better management. Chairs are all taken early and even when people leave, they don't bother taking their towels to indicate the chairs are available. In other resorts I've been to, the staff routinely clears out chairs with no one and no personal belongings on them. This seemed very lax to me and was very frustrating on the first day until we learned to play the game as well. Overall this was a pretty successful vacation with the 3 kids, but there is NO WAY on God's green earth my boyfriend and I would go there alone.

Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My first thought before going was how good could this be? Upon arrival, I thought it was ok, the lobby area smelled like mildew, my room was big, but nothing special at all, kind of dated, but it was clean. Now, the good part...the grounds are gorgeous!!! The pools are fantastic, there are 2, one is an adult pool nice and quiet and serene and very beautiful, the other was huge and awesome, music playing, kids playing and everyone having a good time. The staff was great, extremely friendly and wanted to make sure your having a great time. There's a lot of amenities, and things for the kids to do. The food was good, not great but a huge variety at the buffet, so I was very satisfied. There is a bar/club at night. The music was great, the drinks were strong and we had a fun weekend. We went with a group of friends with their spouses and families I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Morris Plains, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My family of five stayed at Club Med Sandpiper Bay in May and we had a great time! We have three small children (3.5 year old and 21 month old twins) and my husband really wanted to do a family vacation but I was skeptical that it would be anything of a "vacation." I was definitely proven wrong. We arrived at the resort and checked into our room, which was set up with two pack and plays as well as two strollers for our twins. The room was very simple but very clean. It was a great setup for us, as we had a two bedroom suite, with the kids room at the far end of a long hallway from our room. It was nice to have some separation and be able to put the kids to bed and also feel like we had our own space. We were one of the first rooms in the A building, which was centrally located to everything. At night after we put the kids to bed, my husband was able to go to the bar to get us drinks and be back in minutes. I read some reviews about the rooms not being luxurious at all. I would say that they are very simply decorated, maybe even scarce, but that worked for us with small kids. We really didn't have to worry about our kids "getting into anything" and could close the bathroom or bedrooms doors to contain them as well. After we settled into our room and went to check out the resort, we were met with several GO's in the bar who immediately came up, introduced themselves, and played with our kids. They were so friendly and took to our kids right away. Mae and Maddie were the two who we met specifically and I cannot speak highly enough of them both. They were both with our kids throughout our stay and were warm, caring, and so in tuned to the kids needs. When I say "kid-friendly," that doesn't even begin to describe this place. We have three small kids and we felt like they were welcome in nearly all areas of the resort. From the restaurants that provide high chairs and bibs (one recommendation: sippy or straw cups for the little ones in the restaurants!) to the bar with live music and dancing kids all over to the place to the family friendly shows every night, we were able to truly enjoy our vacation with our kids! I can't say enough about the kids club. GO Jessie (the director at the time we were there) was great with accommodating our three kids. We dropped them off each morning and were able to enjoy our couple time together, taking golf lessons and lounging at the adult pool (the one area that was thankfully NOT open to kids :). We felt very comfortable leaving them with all the GO's at the kids club and they all enjoyed the activities provided throughout the morning. We talked about doing the evening "pajama club" almost every night but since everything was so kid-friendly, we never really even felt the need. There was even a 24 hour kid room that had milk, snacks, and baby food for the kids for whenever we needed anything day or night. We put it to good use and it was great to have it at our disposal. General Manager, Jeff, was awesome, and we became friendly with him quickly over the course of the 6 days that we were there. He was super approachable and was super willing to help with anything we needed. The circus school and trapeze was so fun too. I had so much fun trying the trapeze and it was such a unique experience to be able to do at the resort. I also took advantage of running a 5K through the golf course one morning and my husband sailed almost every day on the Hobie Cats on the river. Finally, I was skeptical about a resort with only one main restaurant and I would consider myself a "foodie" but I was pleasantly surprised with both the quality and variety of food that was offered at the restaurant. Each day and night offered different types of food and I felt that the quality was great for a resort. We ate at the more casual restaurant next door for lunch one day and did "take out" on the day we were checking out and it was great for a quick lunch. All in all, I would HIGHLY recommend Club Med Sandpiper Bay for a family vacation, especially with small kids that you are willing to put into the kids club. We only put our kids in the club for a few mornings of the time that we were there but felt that we got so much out of our time and got to enjoy both couple and family time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Overall, we had a great stay at Club Med Sandpiper. We have chosen Club Med for the last 3 years for the quality of their kids program and, once again, were not disappointed.

Accommodation
We had reserved a Deluxe Family Room and were pleasantly surprised by how comfortable and spacious our unit was (there was a separate room for the kids). The cleaning team did an impeccable job and the kids enjoyed the daily chocolate on their pillow! The website refers to a fully-stocked fridge for these rooms and we certainly did not have much in our fridge until the 2nd or 3rd day and even so, it was mostly soda. Some healthier options would have been better.

In other Club Med resorts we have visited, there is usually more than one dining option. As other readers have pointed out, the small restaurant (Soleil) does not have a great selection and the service is incredibly slow. After trying it out for a late lunch on our arrival day, we decided not to try again:-( Lucklily, the main restaurant was pretty decent and the selection was varied enough. We stayed over the 4th of July and were pretty spoiled with the specialties offered for the occasion. Seafood, foie gras, lots of delicious options. One thing that my daughter pointed out is that they rarely had berries in the fresh fruit section - which is a strange thing considering the time of year.

Bar
The mixed drinks at this resort were some of the worst that I've had anywhere and can't say that the bar staff had the energy usually displayed at Club Med. In fact, one or two were not very friendly...

Kids activities
Kids had a wonderful time as usual and even wanted to have dinner with the kids club! My son (age 9) is an avid tennis player and we signed him up for a day at the Tennis Academy. While it was not cheap, it was a good experience for him as the facility is great and the coaching excellent.

Other activities
The main pool was very busy so we usually spent time at the adult pool - which is on the small side but in a quiet location at one end of the resort. I wish that they had more classes in the morning - I tried Zumba one day and while I enjoyed it, it was right in the middle of the afternoon when I was usually in a "chill" mode. The class was also held in a "ballroom" which is not very appealing. The water activities were also fairly limited (not sure if all of that can be attributed to being on the river) and disappointing. Evening entertainment was usually decent - both for kids and adults. A special mention for the 4th of July celebrations (parade, family fun activities etc.) - we were amazed that they managed to put on 2 shows that night, the GOs definitely did a fantastic job preparing for this event.

Staff
The chef de village was very pleasant and friendly and, other than some of the bar staff mentioned above, so was the rest of the team. One thing that I would say is that it does not have the "super happy" atmosphere that we've witnessed at other Club Med resorts. This is noticeable from the moment we arrived at the resort - there is no special greeting and the reception is more subdued. This could be attributed to the US location as other resorts we have visited are in the Caribbean.

Overall
Generally, this resort met our expectations and, given how easily accessible it is from different US cities, we will definitely consider going back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We enjoyed the 10 days we spent at Club Med, Sandpiper. The food was top notch and the staff were very good and pleasant. The helpers in the child-care area seemed a bit burned out, but I cannot complain, I would probably be too. Unfortunately the water-sports were all closed because of pollution in the St. Lucie river (this has to do with flooding from the unseasonal rains). My wife and I also caught Dengue Fever from the mosquitos in the area. It was very hot and humid. I would definitely go back here, but probably would not choose August again. More like a November type vacation spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience at Club Med Sandpiper, but we are also sorry to learn that you got ill. We are taking this matter very seriously and have immediately passed your comments to management whose utmost concern in the health and safety of our guests. We look forward to having you both back at one of our resorts in the future.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Just wanted to pass along some review comments from a recent stay at Club Med Sandpiper.
I have benefited greatly over the years from reading hundreds of Trip Advisor reviews and hope my comments will help others in knowing what to expect (good and bad) when staying at Club Med Sandpiper.
I was traveling with my wife and two kids (10 and 13). I have never stayed at an all inclusive before but have been on most of the newer, larger cruise ships over the last few years. I am your extreme type A personality in that I research everything to the nth degree, I see and observe everything and thus have become a quasi travel agent / planner for many friends, family and clients.
I do not believe surprises are a good thing on vacations as they tend to be negative so I try and learn everything about a vacation before I take it. While some will say this takes the fun out of everything I do not see it that way and rarely end up disappointed as I know what is coming. Just some background so you know where my comments are coming from.
While my overall rating was a 3 star this is an overall average of the resort. I believe 4 stars to be a very good rating and feel that 5 stars should really be reserved for the Wynn Resorts of the world.
There were many four star features to the property. All my pre reading about the food being so great had me very sceptical. How can a property with really just one restaurant that is a buffet be good? I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The food was fresh, good tasting and there was variety. I do have to say that by day 4 (we were they 5 days) the idea of a 12th straight meal at a buffet was not appealing. I find it very difficult to get everybody to the table at the same time when eating a buffet so the meal seams rushed. There is a sit down restaurant beside the buffet but it has a very limited menu so it was hard for 4 people to all find something to eat. We did try it once for lunch and found the food and service to be very good. I also was impressed with the practice of the GO’s searching out guests in the buffet dining room and asking to join them for dinner. It gave you the opportunity to meet new people and learn more about the resort.
Also 4 stars were the grounds around the resort. A great deal of time and effort appears to be spent maintaining the grounds. The only negative and I don’t think anything can be done other than trying to educate and warn guests are the racoons that are all over the resort (both during the day and at night). I live in a big city and I am use to them but this was like nothing I have ever seen. They would camp out at night in packs of 6 or more and block pathways (they may have been picketing but I could not read the sign as I was running to catch up to my terrified daughter). Several times we were forced to turn back and take a different route as the kids became too scared. While these creatures are a fact of life, management has taken a bury your head in the sand approach. A simple warning and recommendation on what to do when you encounter wildlife during check in would probably be a better way to go.
Other 4 star areas would be the daily golf lessons, tennis according to other guests as we did not try it, the efforts to keep the pool area clean and the generally friendliness of the GO’s. People rave about the GO’s and I understand why. If I were to make one criticism it would be sometimes the GO’s are a bit too clingy to the repeat guests and things appear to be cliquey. Seeing a 21 female GO hanging with the same two 12 year olds for 4 days or another female GO all over a 17 year old boy was a bit creepy but I also understand it is human nature and you have to remember where your bread is buttered in the hospitality business.
I would give 3 stars to the activities and daily schedules. There seemed to be a lot of repetition of activities each day and the activities offered just seemed a bit old and tired but what there was is well run. It is hard to put into words but they could just use some modernization. The closure of the beach activities was probably in part why I felt this way (more on that later) but even were they opened they only had two activities (sailing and paddle boarding). Were Club Med to invest just a few thousand dollars they could add 5 kayaks and 5 paddle boats and double the beach activities they offer.
While there are lots of 3 and 4 stars to give out unfortunately there are a few 2 stars as well. The rooms are really weak. I have stayed in my share of road side 2 star hotels and the bathrooms and a/c system at Club Med Sandpiper are no better. They recently renovated the rooms (I find this hard to believe) using materials that are so low end I don’t know where you could even buy these today. We had two rooms on the top floor in section D and both had cracked tiles, tiles with chunks missing, parts missing from the shower taps, water damage on the ceiling, rust running down the walls in the shower and stained grout and caulking. Note to anybody renovating a bathroom, don’t use 99 cent white quarter inch tiles, white grout or white caulking. The only thing worse than the materials used was the workmanship, maintenance and cleanliness of the rooms. Whoever caulked the bathrooms was very weak at their job as they managed to smear caulk were it should not be resulting in a very dirty looking room. Also when using screws in a shower they need to be stainless steel or they will rust (we had rust running down the shower walls (I have pictures but not sure how to post them). At night I had to set the a/c temperature very high (upper 70's) so that it would only go off when absolutely necessary. When the a/c ran you would think a train was coming through the room and if somebody was smoking outside the room, the smoke would be drawn into our room through the system. Obviously not the best design. Finally on the room, I know it’s Florida but there were new live bugs in the room everyday along with hair and dirt. The cleaning staff is simply not spending enough time in the rooms each day and that is a fault of management. Every person we talked to had similar if not worse experiences. After hearing the stories from others I realized my room was not so bad. I understand Club Med does not want you in the rooms but you need to be there a few hours a day and they should be clean and maintained. These rooms are Days Inn quality in many ways and there is no way that a manager has set foot into one of our rooms and walked out and said the room was equal or superior to a highway Holiday Inn Express.
Finally I have to give 2 stars to senior management. They are simple very weak. I saw a number of areas where they have allowed the ball to be dropped for too long. Two of several examples would be their lack of attention to room cleanliness and maintenance noted above and their lack to attention to the issue of pool chair hogging. By 9am every morning there is not a chair around the pool to be found. I understand it is human nature to be self serving and simply take 6 chairs for a family of 4 on the off chance that your kids will stop by the pool after lunch but management should at least make an effort to try deal with this. Each cruise line is experimenting with methods to deal with this problem. Club Med had chose to ignore the issue. Don’t try finding a manager around the pool as they purposely do not have one stationed there. They have left two non English speaking pool cleaning staff and a life guard to deal with upset guests. Another issue that highlights the weakness of management is the handling of the river closure in both how slow to react they were and how poor their reactions were and are. They have known for months the issue exists and instruct guest relations to tell guests the issue is day to day. If you track down and ask people in the know the issue is weeks not days away from correcting itself. Also until recently management had sales staff withholding this information from people making bookings until after non refundable deposits had been made. This happened to us. After making our bookings we learned via an email a month later that slipped a comment in within pages of legal disclaimers that the situation exists. Their offer of driving people to the beach where they have to play on Club Meds schedule and buy their own food and water does not cut it given you are staying at an all inclusive. There are several easy and cheap alternatives available to senior management to build some goodwill in light of this unfortunate situation but again the bury your head in the sand approach seems to be the route taken. I think both morally and perhaps legally Club Med has a responsibility to inform possible guests of the issue at the time of booking before a non refundable deposit is made.
I hope you have benefited from my comments and should you visit Club Med Sandpiper not encounter too many negative surprises.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!