“Excellent Resort for Families with Children” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Sandpiper Bay

Save Saved
You added Club Med Sandpiper Bay to your Saves list
Club Med Sandpiper Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   4500 S.E Pine Valley Street, Port Saint Lucie, FL 34952   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Sterling, Virginia
“Excellent Resort for Families with Children”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed at Club Med Sandpiper for a week in late May with our 3 year-old and 17 month-old and had a great time. We had a Deluxe Family Club Room (renovated), which included a separate room with two twin beds for the kids; a pack-n-play and other essentials (stroller, changing pad, etc) were also provided in our room. The room was clean and well-kept and the extra space for us was really essential, and allowed my husband and I to stay up without keeping the kids up. We also had a patio (first floor room) which we enjoyed; our 3 year-old loved running around outside in the morning.

We've been to a number of all-inclusive Caribbean resorts for couples and we weren't sure what to expect with a family resort. Club Med did not disappoint; there were countless activities for the kids including day and evening shows, pool parties, organized games like scavenger hunts, dancing, etc. Our 3 year-old enjoyed the trapeze shows tremendously, as did we. There was also plenty for the grown-ups to do; we enjoyed the jet skis, spa, volleyball, evening shows, gym, and lounging by the pool.

We also took advantage of the Kids Club and were incredibly impressed by the cleanliness of the facility, the countless and diverse organized activities and the professionalism and kindness of the staff. They are too many to mention but Luna, Eleni, Jessica, Larissa, Sylvanna, Travis and Laura were all great with our older child, even with the Kids Club wasn't in session. We had our younger child in the Baby Club which was also good, and allowed us access to a little room with refrigerator, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, cereal and milk at all times. (I think there was baby food too.) It was a nice perk and smart of the resort to do this.

There is one main restaurant as others have mentioned called The Marketplace. It's all buffet but the food is fresh and there are options for everyone. I am both health-conscious and picky and had no trouble finding things I liked. Likewise there was plenty for my 'steak and potatoes' husband, as well as for the kids. The ice cream machine, which is kind of hidden, was especially popular. The other meal option is a sit-down restaurant called Soleil located right outside The Marketplace. Food was simple but good and Nikos, the manager there, is an outstanding host. In addition to the restaurants, there is also one bar called Slice -- it's more upscale than I expected and the drinks were strong and bartenders both friendly and accommodating. Justine was patient with our requests and the kids enjoyed getting goldfish crackers and juice from the bar too.

We had the pleasure of speaking with Lionel who is doing a great job with the resort/renovation and who was also a gracious host. Jerry dined with us one night and we both felt like he was a huge asset to the organization and enjoyed spending time with him.

I realize this is a long review but wanted to share our experience. I also wanted to note (as many posters commented on the lack of on-site convenience shopping) that this is generally true, however if you go over past the tennis courts, there is a pro shop and sunscreen, basic toiletries, tee shirts, hats, etc. can be purchased there.

The Club Med Sandpiper renovation is great; we'll be back and we'll tell our friends. If we had to make any suggestions, they'd be the following: add a bar of some sort at the adult pool (heard this is already being planned); add a sit-down restaurant separate from the Marketplace during dinner hours for parents taking advantage of the Pajama Club and wanting a kid-free meal; and offer advance purchase of things like diapers, swim diapers, wipes, sunscreen, basic snacks, etc - they take up a lot of space to pack and I'd happily pay a small premium to have them waiting in the room.

Again, great experience and cheers to Club Med Sandpiper.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Dear Starlight4cs,

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review! We are thrilled that you and your family had such a fantastic vacation. Please know that your suggestions have been passed along to management. We hope you all can join us again soon for another fabulous time!

Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed at the Club Med Sandpiper Bay during the week of May 21 through May 28. My wife chose this destination for several reasons, including location within the Continental US, relatively inexpensive for an all-inclusive resort, and, most importantly, the child care services that it offers. We have a 6 year old and a 6 month old. Overall, the resort met and in some ways exceeded our expectations, and we had a very nice vacation.

Accommodations:
We stayed in the Deluxe Family Room (specifically A-106) because it offers two bedrooms. This allowed us to put our infant to bed early while we watched television in our room without disturbance. This room is one that has been recently renovated and is in very good condition. It is quite roomy with adequate closet space but not much in the way of drawer space. It was always clean and well-kept. We did have some issues with the air conditioning (froze up twice due to low freon). However, the maintenance personnel responded very promptly to our call, and fixed it rather quickly. This room is also very conveniently located to the main pool, bar, restaurant, and kids center.

Food:
I'll start by saying that the food offered at the Marketplace buffet is absolutely outstanding! We have visited several other all-inclusive resorts, and this one stands tall with regards to quality and quantity of culinary offerings. There is an obvious European flare, which is most welcome. No complaints whatsoever. The sitdown restaurant, Soleil, offers guests a chance to be waited on (as opposed to buffet style). We tried it one time for dinner because my wife grew tired of the serve yourself buffet style, and the service was suboptimal, but again the quality of the food was really good.

Staff:
The vast majority of the staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. Lionel, the guy who is in charge of everything (kind of like the cruise director on a cruise ship), was always around to greet the guests and address any concerns and questions. The staff at Mini Club Med and Baby Club Med got to know our kids on a first name basis and were absolutely wonderful. Our only issues with the staff were pretty minor and trivial: the GO's (gracious organizers) who work at the resort are encouraged to sit with guests at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I can definitely understand why they do this, but it can be a bit disruptive to a nice, relaxing family dinner. We learned ways to avoid it after it happened to us one time. The other issue was the wait staff at the Marketplace. There seemed to be a lot of staff sort of just walking around pretty much doing nothing. This was more of an issue at breakfast on the outside patio than at lunch and dinner.

Facilities:
The pools were very nice and spacious. The bar was extremely nice. However, if you want to hang out at the adult only pool, you will have quite a walk to the bar to get a drink. There is only one bar. It seems like there should be another on closer to the adult pool. The fitness room is very nice, clean, and updated. All of the equipment is brand new. Given that the resort was recently renovated, most of the public buildings are attractive. The most unsightly buildings are the ones that hold the guest rooms. But, they are actively working on that.

Activities:
We did kayaking one day and the Eco Tour on waverunners another day. Both were a lot of fun, but costly. None of the watersports options are included. The watersports staff was friendly but a little disorganized.

Summary:
We had a wonderful time. Probably would have chosen a different place if we didnt have small kids. I will definitely visit another Club Med. The week we were there was pretty calm with not too many guests. The majority of guests during that week were French or French Canadian, which was great. However, toward the end of the week, the Memorial Day crowd moved in, and it became a little less calm. I heard some people who had been to other Club Med resorts complain about the "lack of atmosphere" in comparison to other Club Med resorts. I cannot really comment on that since this is my first time at a Club Med.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe Family Room
Dear BES1972,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are thrilled that you and your family had such a great time. Please know that your issues have been passed along to management. We hope you all can join us again soon for another fantastic trip!

Stratford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Big thank you to bartender Michael for adopting our family for the week, he was the best! We met him on our first night at dinner and answered any questions we had about the resort. We got to spend time with him during meals and from time to time at the bar. All the other GO's were also very friendly. Great food, especially the white chocolate bread. This was our first Club Med vacation and I would definitely love to go back again. It was enjoyable for the whole family with something for everyone to do. The kids loved the trapeze, pool games, soccer, tennis & golf. The wine tasting and couples massage was also great! My only recommendation is for a bar at the adult pool.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Dear llm70ssmom,

Thank you for the fabulous review! We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your first vacation with Club Med. Please know that your suggestion for a bar at the adult pool has been passed along to management. We hope you and your family can come back soon for another fantastic time!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We were not greeted. This was my fourth Club Med visit with a newbie and I was so upset he did not get that treatment. Livid! When one recommends a place and is treated like Motel 6, well, I had some problems. They made my travel arrangements, which were later and said they do not have greeters then. What!! NO excuses for that.

Loved the Jet Ski guy b/c he captured great memories. He did an amazing job.

Missed the interactions w/ the GOs, I admit I have been to Adult Only Club Meds, maybe they have more time. I was used to pretty much every meal and dance w/ GOs. Not the case here. I met one GO.

I liked the Chief, Lionel. My companion spoke French, I do not and he was fun w/ mixing it up.

I had fun as a couple in the Adult pool, sailing, trapeze, jet skis, dancing (with children!), but recommend those w/ children go at a certain time. They need a time cut off where the adults get down, like 11 PM….kids just got on stage and showed off. If it is not your kid or relative, it is boring.

Two omelet guys need to be fired. The attitude blew my mind. As if I was homeless. I do not usually go here, but maybe they are not used to seeing black people.

I enjoyed the food and ate too much.

I greatly appreciated the personal pick-up from the airport instead of some cluttered van – good move!

While I likely will not return unless I hear differently, I recommend for a certain group.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear deserved,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We were pleased to read you enjoyed the food, personal pick-up and jet skiing. We sincerely apologize that you felt other aspects of the resort were not up to par. Please know that these issues have been passed along to management. We hope these will not deter you from future vacations with Club Med.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Just got back to London Having stayed at the amazing village of Sandpiper Bay for 10 days.Travelling as a solo did'nt bother me at all as there is so much to do in the Village.
I spent most of my time sailing and i want to thank the amazing sailing team of Sandpiper Bay (Club Med) for such a great time and i learnt so much.Howard,John,Andrew and Ana are such lovely,wonderful people and i hope to see them at another Club Med soon.
The food was amazing and again would like to thank everyone in the kitchens for all their hard hard work.The cakes and cookies at lunch time are aweome.
Lionel the chef de village and all of his GO'S are fantastic,such lovely warm caring people and you will be missed.
I would recommend this resort to anyone wheather travelling alone or with kids.

Room Tip: Just Amazing
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Sandpiper Bay Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you had good time there and you enjoyed sailing with our well trained G.O.s and the food quality.

We hope to see you again soon in one of our resorts.

Best regards,

Your Club Med UK Team
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I didn't quite know what to expect reading the many reviews; however, I had one of the best vacations ever! My brother and I needed a get away and we had a wonderful time. Our rooms were spacious and beautiful, overlooking the St. Lucie River. We were able to combine activity(yoga, trapeze, running, tennis) with leisure (amazing adult pool!). There is never a line at the bar, the food was to die for (I am totally in withdrawal from the white chocolate bread) and the atmosphere at night lively without being rowdy. I can't say enough about the entire staff, from the Chief of Village to the housekeepers. I loved the trapeze and without Megan's encouragement, would have never done it! Thanks Club Med for the best vacation ever, I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear mary222222,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so happy that you and your brother enjoyed the perfect mix of leisure and activities. We hope you both can join us again soon for another fantastic vacation!

Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Stephanie, Michael and Travis each made it a very enjoyable vacation in each of their own areas.

Dear dooder15,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback on how pleased you were with our Club Med Team means a lot to us. We hope you can join us again soon for another great vacation!

Your Club Med Team

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!