“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Joseph Peninsula State Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Saint Joe
St. Joseph Peninsula State Park
You added St. Joseph Peninsula State Park to your Saves list
Star Rte. 1, Box 200, Port Saint Joe, FL FL 32456   |
Nashville, Tennessee
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This place was everything I had hoped for and more. The beaches and water were stunning as expected. Stay in Shady Pines loop. It is clearly the nicer loop, more vegetation, more privacy, more "nicer" than gulf breeze loop.. Beach is only 75yards away, it's a very short wlk on the boardwalk. Wildlife is amazing. Saw armadillo, deer, crabs, dolphins, hemit crabs, clams, fish, and birds that dive into the water to catch fish. Zero city lights so you can see the milky way. No crowds. And the campers' Gulf beach area is just for the campers and not general public, so very private. It was an amazing place!

Bathrooms are fine. We had a paved site, but most are gravel. I went thinking that civilization was 30+ miles away. However there is a family owned general store (Trading Post) that is only a few miles from camp grounds. It has everything including fresh produce. Fresh pizza they make at a very reasonable price. It's like a mini-Walmart. We even purchased our boggie boards there. Attached to the same building is an ice cream and coffee shop. It serves Edy's ice cream. There are a few other food options within a few miles, so you are not alone as some would have you believe. The park itself has a concession store, however we never made it to the store, it apparently had food and supplies available.

We will definitely be back. We camped in a travel trailer.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dunedin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just got home this afternoon from a 4 night trip to the park. I was trying to figure out on the way home if the trip was worth it...here are the pros and cons...
PROS: Wow, what a location! Gulf on one side, bay on the other. No crowds - beach had less than 8 families on it the weekend before July 4th. Beach is beautiful & water was clear with small waves that kept the kids busy. Bathrooms are in the center of the sites with a path off each site. Bathrooms were clean & well stocked and showers were decent. Outside showers at the end of the boardwalk from the beach. Snorkeling was cool, just be sure to go at high tide - we found that rafts helped the non-snorkelers swim over the grass beds.
CONS: Okay, tent camping in July - I expected the heat...and some mosquitoes, but holy cow the mosquitoes are BAD!! And they are "all day" mosquitoes, which I was totally unprepared for. Seriously, you can not do anything at the campsite at any time of day without swatting! The only place to escape them was at the beach. (Stop at Trading Post on the way in and get Swamp Gator bug spray - it works!) Breeze is nice at any of the campsites facing the beach, but is non-existent once you go around the bends - wish we had brought a box fan.
It is far from everything (we made 4 trips into Port St. Joe during our 3 days there-even after reading that it was far from everything!) Yes, there are bugs & other wildlife (didn't see bats though, which would be great!). Wish we had known that horseback rides on the beach are not offered on the weekends and that Coneheads closes early on Sunday (one trip to PSJ was to find dinner!)
Would love to go back, but next time I'd probably stay in an air-conditioned, screened in cabin!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Athens, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I really enjoyed my short stay here. When we arrived at check-in time, there were some campers that were there the night before that hadn't left yet. The rangers were very nice and had them move so we could have our site we had reserved. The campground was a little bit crowded (sites close together) for my comfort but luckily our next door neighbor never showed up. The beach was gorgeous (phosphorescent algae at night was a phenomenal experience), especially when we went to the one near the northern cabins. Wow, what dunes!! Then the tropical storm hit (When I checked weather channel, they'd said 20% chance of rain!!) and everybody was evacuated that morning. I'd go back someday when it is less stormy. The crazy wind kept the mosquitoes away at least. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Had booked online through reserve america, site #20, no way to fit our small pop up in. Rangers switched us to another site which was better. Bathrooms need work and obviously not checked often, two stalls were bad. One washer and dryer to the whole camground. No dogs allowed on beach there had to drive 1 mile to an area. Not one store other than an inflated bp station sure you have everything you need because their is nothing remotely close. Now mosquitoes.... Brimg a gallon of deep woods off. The gnats are horrible. If you are going to stay, dont stay on the beach side of the park. Not one ofy favorite parks thus far.

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We camped here for week and it was a great place! The facilities were nice and clean. The beach was beautiful and even the weather cooperated. One note, this place is isolated. The closest real store was 30 minutes away. There are a couple convienence stores close. Overall great experience.

• Stayed June 2012
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We camped here for one night on a 5 week road trip and had a wonderful time! There were thunderstorms off and on in the whole area so we tarped (we're from Washington state! You never camp without a tarp!) our tent and boy, were we glad we did! Right after getting back to camp after watching sunset on the beach, the skies let loose and we ran for our tent. We managed to stay mostly dry all night because the campsite was sandy so the water didn’t puddle up and flood. We had a great time and made some fun memories! This campground was pretty, felt very safe and was very quiet all night (nobody wants to party during a thunderstorm though, do they?). The beach was gorgeous and had great shelling! We loved all the birds here and we saw a deer in the marsh behind our campsite. We would definitely stay here again, only next time we’d stay for more than one night!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Wright City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Ok, so I have only written a review one other time in my life so that is not a plus for me. But I do wish I would have read the review I am about to give before driving 16 hours to this state park. We camped here in our pop up from June 7th to the 10th, 2012. First, my husband is disabled and I recieved the discount online, but upon arrival I was told that it only applies to Florida residents. So, I had to pay even more. I guess that information is somewhere on their website. I just missed it. Not too big of a deal if the place was nicer. Anyway, once we found our site it was a nice tiny site. There was enough foliage to give us privacy from our neighbors. However, once we stepped out of the truck we smelled human poo. I suppose the previous tenant had emptied their sewage at our site. So we had that smell along with the moth balls someone had scattered around. We never 'found' the source but it sure was nasty. Then we went to the restroom to find it smelled of urine. But at least we had company in the restrooms-2 1/2" roaches. One of which my oldest daughter named Lucy.Oh yeah and the mens restroom light did not work, so my husband had to shower in the dark. So, the next day he knew to shower before dark. And the washing machine works great. It costs $2 as does the dryer. However, the dryer does not work well at all. We did an average load and dryed it 3 times and it was still damp. If you do decide to do your wash here remember to bring many many quarters. There is no change machine and the office will not give you change. The only place that will is 10 miles away. We were a bit short on quarters and had to use the soda machine to get change. A 20 ounce soda is $1.25-not bad. So we put in $2 a few times and added up the $0.75. We did get a soda out of the deal but it was never the one we chose out of the 3 times we used the soda machine. But whatever, we were pretty much using it for change. It just added to the aggrivation though. Now is the great part. There were rats! 4 to be exact at our site alone. At least that is how many we would always see at once there. They did not look like the rats you see on tv or in pet stores though. They looked more like over grown mice. They don't have the wierd butts and they didn't have real pointed noses.We asked about them and the workers told us they were cotton rats and to stay away from them as the do bite. What? How do you stay away from them when they live in the bushes around our site. We saw even more each time we went to the restroom on the path and on the trail as we walked to the beach. Although it was hilarious to see 4 tween and teenage girls freak out, it was really scary for me too. I read the review from about a week before we arrived here saying that the water was emerald and pretty. Well, things must have changed quick fast and in a hurry because it was brown when we got there.The only really nice things about the park is the shelling and the sunset. I have camped in Florida state parks for several years now and I have never collected such big and pretty shells as this park has. Also, the sunset here was gorgeous.

Room Tip: Don't camp here!!!