“Need to work out some kinks” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn & Suites Port Richey

You added Days Inn & Suites Port Richey to your Saves list
Days Inn & Suites Port Richey
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   10826 US Highway 19, Port Richey, FL 34668 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Port Richey
Baltimore
“Need to work out some kinks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Typically, when I stay in the New Port Richey/Port Richey area, I stay with family, so while I'm familiar with the area, staying in a local hotel was a new experience for me. We got in on a special deal because we were staying nearly a week, which reduced our per-night rate, and that's always nice, especially when you're basically using the hotel as a crash pad for the evenings.

I originally wrote this review while I was still in the hotel, but I had it deleted because I wanted to get a little perspective of time. Having said that, let me start with the cons, since they're still with me:

--The kitchenette area (sink, mini-fridge, coffee maker and microwave) is essentially an extension to the room itself; there are no dividers involved other than the floor going from carpet to tile. Consequently the lighting for the kitchen area, which is on the ceiling, can irritate anyone who might be trying to sleep. The table provided is bistro-size and only two chairs are in the room (our room was designed to sleep four people). The plates, cups, glasses and silverware were all mismatched and did not add up to place settings for four people. Guests are expected to wash their own dishes, which is not necessarily a problem for me, however it's pretty clear that the Housekeeping staff doesn't do much to ensure that everything is clean for the next visitor, as I wound up re-washing everything before we could use it. (The dish soap comes in bottles identical to the shampoo/conditioner provided.) Also, a dish towel would have been very helpful; I needed to use one of the hand towels from the bathroom. Also: no drain board.

--There was signage in the hotel that could best be described as "passive-aggressive". For example, there was a sign stuck in our mirror that listed prices for the "popular" guest amenities such as towels, blankets, etc. and notifying us that should we choose to take them from the room "instead of obtaining them from our Executive Housekeeper", then that means that we approve a corresponding charge to the account (see the photo of this sign, attached). On Christmas Eve, a note was left on our bed indicating that rooms would be receiving "limited service" the next day so that employees can spend the holiday with their families, and if we wanted full service we'd have to let the desk know by a given time that evening. This all sounds reasonable until you discover that A) the given time was several hours before you ever set foot in the room, and B) "limited service" actually means "no service at all".

--The closet was a space set aside in the room (see photo) where dividers were simply put up and a shelf/clothing rod was put in. There was no sign that a door was ever there that might have been removed because of damage. So consequently, we're constantly looking at our clothes rather than a shut closet door, and this appears to be by design.

--The in-room safe was rather small and we couldn't store our laptops inside it. I know sometimes you have to put them in at a certain angle to make them go, but this time there was no chance.

That's the stuff I still remember. Let me hit the other stuff:

The hotel, being on US19 (northbound side), is easy to get to, however the entrances are a little confusing; just be sure you're going into the hotel entrance and not the place next door because they don't connect to one another. And, of course, if you need to go south on 19 you have to go up and around but that's the way these things go.

Rooms were kept clean and stocked for the most part. Staff was very friendly, even when I'd already checked out and had to get a housekeeper to let me back into the room to retrieve a forgotten object. At one point, my daughter ran ahead of us to the breakfast area, and I had to go after her in bare feet. The woman who was taking care of breakfast intercepted me immediately because I was barefoot, but she was really nice about it. Speaking of breakfast...

Breakfast was a typical affair. You didn't get the DIY waffle maker but there were plenty of options for stuff (bread, bagels) you could put in the toasters. Several kinds of coffee, tea and juices were available, along with fruit, muffins and cold cereal. I think oatmeal was also an option but I'm not positive this far down the line. The breakfast area is right off the front desk, and it's well-lit both naturally and artificially. There's lots of space and I don't think we ever had to deal with waiting for a place to open up so we could eat.

There's a nice playground area, a hot tub and a pool, all close to one another and situated away from the highway. They all looked pretty attractive but it wasn't really warm enough for us to take advantage. The hotel itself is composed of two structures, shaped like a squared-off C next to a straight line I, and the recreation area is enclosed inside the C. Consequently there are a bunch of rooms that don't have direct access to the parking areas, but they do open out to the pool.

Based on the other reviews, I have to believe that they're renovating the hotel from its former Holiday Inn Express in stages. Our room was in good shape and everything was fine from a cleanliness standpoint. If our family couldn't accommodate us again, we'd certainly look to the Days Inn as one of our options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Kitchener
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were booked for a week's stay and the only reason we stayed one night was because the hotel across the road was booked up with other Days Inn guests that beat us there. It was terrible...no wifi, no water, broken fridge, plugged toilet, disgusting shower curtain....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

BLACKPOOL,ENGLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We use this Hotel because it is convenient after our visit to friends near by & because of the efficient and friendly service that we always receive. .We have over many years stayed in different rated rooms, all of which have been very clean & with comfortable clean beds.
We now try to book Efficiency rooms, with benefit of a kitchen area & queen size beds.
We are now back home in the U.K..and have already started to plan for next years visit.
WE HOPE TO BE STAYING HERE ON THAT VISIT !!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn & Suites Port Richey? Share your experiences!