“Old, loud, smelly” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Port Charlotte
Tampa, Florida
“Old, loud, smelly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Stayed here for 3 days on business. The rooms had a stale and musty smell. The air conditioner was loud and I agree with a previous reviewer, that the stand alone humidifer in the room was loud as well. Both were always running which made it difficult to sleep. Breakfast was sparse and please get rid of those crumbly microwaved eggs. The person working breakfast didn't seem to be highly motivated in restocking items when they ran low. Bed and pillows were lumpy. Try another place......

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Tonya G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear 57LuLu,

I deeply apologize your stay with us was not enjoyable back in 2011. I hope if you return to the area you will see the updated reviews since our full remodel. The brand and our hotel have both made changes to our breakfast, and recent reviews reflect that guests love it. Please contact me if you’re ever traveling in the area again! I would love to give you a tour myself!

Tonya G McCandless, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
West Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

The Hilton Corp and Hampton brand should be ashamed to have this hotel part of their brand. After being on the road all day, my husband and I arrived at about 10:30pm. The front desk person was nice enough, he was pleasant and checked us in quickly and we were off to our room. The elevator was slow going up to the 3rd floor and our room was at the far end of the hallway (which is what is my preference, I hate having a room next to the elevator and hearing people going by all night long). As we were walking down the hallway, I said to my husband "kind of smells, doesn't it?" He said it was probably because it had been such a hot day and they were saving on their air conditioning by not having the AC very high in the hallways. We've seen/experienced hotels do that in the past and my personal feeling is that it's a stupid way to cut costs...making your customers uncomfortable. But anyway, that's a rant for another day. We arrived at our room, which looked fine at first glance, except for the little table height kind of fan box that was blowing in the room. I looked at it and wondered "Is that our air conditioner?????" It wasn't, but it was a drying machine...something that's usually used to dry areas which have had issues with water and/or flooding. That most likely explained the smell in the hallway (along with the stains I noticed on the carpet as we were leaving the next morning). Our room did not smell or I would have turned right around and asked for another room on a different floor. However, the room was hot, despite turning the air conditioning down to below 70 and we finally realized that their little drying machine was blowing hot air. Upon turning it off, the room cooled down and became comfortable.

I did "my thing" and sprayed virtually everything I would touch with Lysol. The remote, phone, door handles, the bed sheets, pillows, etc. (Yes, if you haven't noticed from previous reviews, I keep Lysol in my suitcase, because I feel I never REALLY know how well a room has been cleaned unless I have prior experience with that particular location). When I got to the bathroom, I noticed the shower was dirty and cracked...see photograph.

We slept just "OK," the AC went on and off too much and it was irritating. The next morning we went down for breakfast and it wasn't really anything impressive. Sausage links, and re-hydrated "scrambled" eggs that had ham cubes and cheese already mixed in. Some fruit and a few bins of cereal (not boxes, but long acrylic tubes that you put a bowl under and it disperses a set amount of cereal. I took 2 apples and we decided to find the Starbucks I had mapped out and hoped they had breakfast sandwiches (which they did).

Prior to our arrival we were unsure as to whether we'd be staying one or two nights, so fortunately for us, I had only booked this Hampton for 1 night, thinking that if we ended up staying a 2nd night we could always book again. We did have to stay a 2nd night, but we will never stay at this Hampton Inn again. We stayed our 2nd night at a local Sheraton (I'll write a review on that as well) which was better and less expensive by over $30.

Perhaps some may say that I just have too high of an expectation, but I do expect better from Hampton. That's not to say I haven't been disappointed in Hampton before, because I have been. However, it's usually because we've happened upon a converted Day Inn or lower end hotel that Hampton has taken over.

I highly un-recommend this hotel and I certainly hope that the quality control department of the Hilton and Hampton brands reads reviews such as those on this website and takes them to heart and does all they can do to prevent experiences such as ours and others who've also commented on the smell and the quality of this location.

I do intend to send Hampton corporate a note when I find the time to do so. Until then...this is my review.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Tracy33, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
Dear Ms. Robbyn,

I waited a month to respond, as I hoped your contact with Hilton would provide us a confirmation number and last name. This would help our owner and management team know a little more about your stay. I hope that you will call us directly, as we would like to understand more about your stay. It both troubles and confuses our team, as it isn’t consistent with what the majority of our guests experience based on our Hilton Surveys. We haven’t been able to put this together based on your review. I can guarantee Tripadvisor readers that Hilton visits our property and we have always exceeded their high standards. They visit and inspect their hotels, and maintain high standards that guests expect at all Hilton and Hampton Inn hotels. Our survey scores are very high that can only come from unbiased guest visits. These are sent directly through Hilton to a guest that has stayed at our hotel, and our scores continue to climb.

I regret that you report such a terrible experience. The Front Desk typically advises our guests about the dehumidifier and how it works. The majority of our guests thank us for it, and it’s been a part of all properties the owners have had for over 30 years. However, most guests value the benefits and some have even asked us for help to buy one for their personal use. Others prefer to turn it off, and as you stated the room is very comfortable without it. We did check the third floor carefully to see if one was in need of maintenance. We also checked the bathrooms. We had about 8 rooms that did not have the completely new shower complete in June. This is something a hotel does on a routine basis, a complete remodel of the bathroom, but I could not find one that looked like your picture. It is possible it was changed between your check-out and writing the review. I only regret that you could not enjoy what the high majority of our guests enjoy: clean and spacious bathrooms with top of the line Hampton amenities!

I agree with you that a hallway should not be warm, and we did monitor that as soon as we received your review. The temperature is always kept a comfortable level, and you’re right that’s the smart choice. We have even asked our repeat guests, and they find everything comfortable. We are keeping a close eye on this though, as we respect and value your feedback. If the air conditioner is set to Fan On instead of Auto, it will not turn off and on during the night. This depends on guest preference, and I know when I travel I always keep the fan turned on.

The breakfast served is a Hampton Hallmark. It includes hot choices daily that rotate, and a waffle machine that guests enjoy. It also has cereal, Danish, yogurt, doughnuts, fruit, juice choices and so many other options that guests enjoy. Our guests love our breakfast, and it is complimentary. The hotel that you referred to as less expensive does not include breakfast, and the average cost of a hot breakfast for two people including juice and coffee starts at $30. Our guests rave that our hotel provides a great value including great breakfast choices with a breakfast area overlooking our lake and wildlife.

We hope you will contact our hotel directly and ask for our General Manager Tonya McCandless or myself Tracy Lehn. Once we know the details of your stay including your arrival date and last name, we can further assist you. It’s our goal to exceed our guest’s expectations, and your negative experience is very important to us. We look forward to hearing from you!

Wishing you safe and happy travels,

Director of Sales and Marketing
nh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

My Husband and Irecently stayed 5 nights. This Hotel is very clean,the staff is friendly and the value for the money is great. I did not find the Hotel to be outdated as other reviews may suggest. Free breakfast is offered daily and the Hotel is close to the Interstate and stores. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
tracy33, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thank you for your feedback!

We look forward to your return.

Warm regards,

Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Have stayed here previously. I have stayed in many Hampton Inns over the years and by far this is the most run down one I have stayed at. This place is way overdue for a makeover. It is actually depressing. The breakfast area, was poorly presented, each day the person taking care of the breakfast area spent all her time on her blackberry texting. The garbage was overflowing, the food selection minimal, tables were dirty, yet she just texted away. It is quite obvious there is no management oversight.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
I regret it took me this much time to respond to your review. We did immediately start watching our breakfast hostesses. We wish we could know the dates a guest stays when they provide feedback. We did find a pattern with one hostess, and we have made the necessary changes to her employment. We appreciate this feedback. I would be very interested in knowing if there was any other aspect of the hotel that was depressing to you. We have made several upgrades this summer, as we constantly remodel. And it’s possible more will come before the end of the year! It is our goal to exceed our guest’s expectations, and we would appreciate a chance to know more about your stay. Please contact the hotel directly and ask for the General Manager Tonya McCandles or myself.

Warm Regards,
Tracy Lehn, Director of Sales and Marketing
Lund, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

We stayed here 2 nights and were very satisfied with the hotel. It is wellorganised with very nice and helpful staff and has all the aminities you need. Its clean quiet, wellocated for travellers and pricewise ok, dont forget the coupons!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

We used a a coupon to go down to this hotel and really were not expecting much more than a clean room. I can't rave enough about the service. I have stayed at fabulous hotels and rarely have ever received the service Tonya (manager) and her staff provided. It was our anniversary and my daughter sent us flowers and chocolates and the staff arranged the flowers, brought them to the room which was spotless.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel. The property's GM, Tonya, remembers your stay as well. It was a pleasure and honor for her to help make your special day rememberable. The hotel staff looks forward to your next visit!

Warm Regards,

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

Clean but in need of renovation. No newspaper in morning at my room, no paper in lobby either. I'm a Gold Member, but no bottled water in room. Went down to breakfast at 6:15 am... already out of eggs and bacon. Weak, weak coffee. Surly staffer checked me in. About a block away from a Casino.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We would welcome an opportunity to learn more about your arrival. It does not meet our hotel standards if you did were not provided cold bottled water, friendly service and the warm Hampton Welcome our Hilton Honors Members report receiving in our guest surveys. If it was a weekday morning, you should receive a USA Today. We deeply apologize if this was a weekday and your paper was not provided. The Key West Casino is not a true gambling casino, this type of casino is a growing trend in Florida. They are gaming machines, where gift cards can be won. While some machines have larger prices than others, it is a quiet location. We strive daily to exceed our guest’s expectations, please contact Tonya McCandles, GM, directly at the hotel if you wish to share details about your visit. We look to your call and the opportunity to provide you with the Hampton Experience our guests enjoy at our hotel.

Been to Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!