“Nicest I Ever Stayed In” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
Summer Special
Florida
“Nicest I Ever Stayed In”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

My husband and I stayed there in celebration of our wedding (i won't say honeymoon because it was only 1 night, and I anticipate a real one in the future). They greeted us as Mr and Mrs (which was totally cool), and brought a complimentary bottle of champagne and strawberries and chocolate to the door shortly after we arrived. The room service was fast and thorough, even asked us where we wanted him to set up our dinner arrangements. I cannot say enough about the atmosphere. It was like a dream, and I really do cherish this memory. If you have the opportunity, please try, it was the best I have ever experienced.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

We stayed at the Lodge and Club for three nights in April 2007 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We booked a deluxe oceanfront room with a king-size bed.

The room itself was beautiful. We had a balcony with two chairs/table that sat right over the beach, a very cozy little bench/seating area near the window also looking out onto the beach, and french doors that opened towards a fountain/courtyard. The room was spacious and comfortable, and had a gas fireplace that provided wonderful ambience. The bathroom was downright decadent - huge, with marble and granite; it had two sinks, shower, and a tub with jets. Everything was meticulously clean.

The housekeeping staff cleaned the room twice a day. In the morning they cleaned and replaced everything that had been used. They cleaned again during the turn-down service, which included chocolates and laying out of robes and slippers. Each night a different shell with a note saying thank you and describing the shell was placed in the room. It was a welcoming experience to come "home" to each night.

The staff is extremely eager to help. There are bellstaff to bring your bags up, shuttle you to the sister property (The Inn and Club at Ponte Vedra, which is where the spa and golf are located) that's about 1.5 miles north, keep your golf clubs (and retrieve them when you need them). The concierge and front desk were similarly helpful with whatever requests we had. Room service was also excellent (we only used room service for breakfast, though).

The grounds are - again - spotlessly clean and well-manicured. My wife and I don't usually splurge to this extent (the nightly room rate was about $424) so we're unaccustomed to this level of service, amenities and attention to detail. The beach is beautiful. There is a very nice-looking workout/fitness center that we didn't use and two pools (one for adults, one for kids and adults) that we also didn't use.

The Lodge has "high tea" between 3 and 4pm with a nice selection of teas, scones, light quarter-sandwiches and some cookies. My wife and I enjoyed this quite a bit. They also have a happy hour between 5 and 6pm, although we didn't get to try this out.

My wife got a facial and manicure at the spa one day, and thoroughly enjoyed it. She believes she has gotten better at a spa locally near us (although that's quite a nice spa) but she liked the experience enough that she said she would do it again.

I played golf twice - once on the lagoon course and once on the ocean course. The lagoon was a pretty nice course, although I thought the greens were in a bit poorer shape than one expects from a course of that cost $160-ish). The course is going to be closed in May, 2007 for about 6 months for a complete re-do. I had planned to play the lagoon again (because I just couldn't stomach the cost of the ocean course) but the starter, in trying to get everybody started on a busy Saturday, ended up putting me on the ocean course for no extra cost. It is a spectacular track - if you're inclined to pay that kind of money ($240-ish) for a round, I would say that the course probably will not disappoint you. However, realize that the "ocean course" does not play on the ocean at all - it's entirely on the western side of Ponte Vedra Blvd - still, it's a very well-conditioned course.

My comment throughout our stay to my wife was that the only thing I could find to complain about is the price (even that was tongue-in-cheek, since I knew what I was getting myself into price-wise). The entire experience was everything we could have asked for in a 20th anniversary experience, and we are already looking for an excuse to return.

• Liked — Clean, attentive to detail, elegant - frankly, everything just about perfect
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

This hotel was beautiful. Room amenities included marble bathroom with large soaking tub and separate shower, fresh flowers, bathrobes and twice daily maid service. We had room service the first night of our 4 night stay. The food was fabulous (and expensive). We also ate one lunch at the hotel and that was not as good. The service at that meal was pretty slow and the chicken in a sandwich and in the caeser salad was quite dry. The exercise facility (across the street) was very nice and had child care. Our 5 year old asked to go back the next day to see Miss Bebe because she was so nice. It was pretty cold so we didn't use the pools much but they looked nice.
Overall an outstanding property!

• Liked — Beautiful room
  • Disliked — food was inconsistent, some good some not
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tallahassee, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

We spent 2 nights at the Lodge and had a wonderful time, enjoying their prime beach location, a room with a gas fireplace and whirlpool tub, and fine restaurant. Not only is the restaurant good, but we had several excellent and graciously presented room service meals that were delivered in under 30 minutes. There's an exceptional wine list distinguished by it's variety the the most diner-friendly prices I've ever seen at a restaurant, including some great bottles that one would pay more for in most retail stores. Don't miss an opportunity to go to the spa at it's sister property up the street, The Inn. It's wonderful and elegant and I wish I was there right now! Attentive personal service and luxurious surroundings are what the Lodge is all about.

• Liked — Being pampered in beautiful surroundings
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

Wonderful View from the room. Immaculate Rooms. Top Notch. I'm extremely picky about hotels and found this one to be perfect. We didn't want to leave. We didn't use the restaurants. A pool was just down from our room.

We requested a crib- which contained a bumber, sheets and blankets. In addition, they put a basket of baby toiletries in the bathroom. Really nice touch!!!

Absolutely wonderful!!!

Stayed February 2007
georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2007

Stayed in an Ocean front suite but there was a court yard between our room and the beach so didn't feel like "ocean front". Room was nice and spacious. No microwave in kitchen though. Bathroom was great. Fireplace was nice, we turned the A/C down real low and had a nice fire. Bed was comfy. Staff was friendly. Restaurant view is great, food was good but not amazing. The beach is lovely. Pool areas are good, one for adults only and one with kids allowed. Even though the hotel was full, it felt very private. All in all, a nice hotel but a bit overpriced (IMHO) at almost $300 per night. The robes and variety of toiletries were a nice touch as were the complimentary slippers. Unexpected pleasures were the notes, chocolates, and seashells left on the pillow by the turndown service.

• Liked — Comfortable accommodation and fireplace in room
  • Disliked — Room was too far from ocean to be true ocean front
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2006

My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary at The Lodge with 4 nights in a preferref oceanfront room. I have never received the level of true kindness and caring from any other resort/hotel in this country. They were always smiling, helpful, opening doors, asking how we were, etc. This includes staff at the hotel, the gym, the country club, the restaurants, the pool, etc.
The resort was quiet as we picked the right month and I'm sure it's not always that way. The oceanfront rooms are incredible with 2 balconies and all beach and ocean view. As an FYI..the oceanfront suites(which we originally booked) are tucked back in the corners with nowhere near the views offered by the preffered oceanfront rooms. We downgraded from the suites to a better room in our opinion and saved $50 each night.
Food was very good at The Inlet and over at the country club grillroom. We both decided we will be back here many times. We may try a room at the Inn next time just to compare-not the same view but the rooms are great and about half the price as the Lodge.
The only complaint we have is the outrageous price for golf at the 2 courses. The lagoon course is only about 5,300 yards and they asked about $150 for 18 holes and $90 for 9 holes! The Ocean course looks like a true championship course but at $240 we had to pass. We played a very nice local course(Windsor Park) for $38 each.

• Liked — The staff and the view
  • Disliked — The walkout patios could have been cleaner
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach? Share your experiences!